Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets

chuckd

Puritan Board Sophomore
I don't see anything in Matthew up to this point that would indicate Jesus would do this. Perhaps John the Baptist in Matt. 3:9-10 "Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees."

Why would Jesus' disciples think he might do this? Was there a prevailing theory in 1st century Judaism that the Messiah would do away with the foundation and establish a completely new religion?

iainduguid

Puritan Board Sophomore
I don't see anything in Matthew up to this point that would indicate Jesus would do this. Perhaps John the Baptist in Matt. 3:9-10 "Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees."

Why would Jesus' disciples think he might do this? Was there a prevailing theory in 1st century Judaism that the Messiah would do away with the foundation and establish a completely new religion?
Perhaps Jesus is making a preparatory remark to guard against a misunderstanding of what follows: "You have heard it said to our ancestors..." I can see how someone might misunderstand "You have heard it said "You shall not murder"...but I say to you..." and so on as abolishing - or at least challenging - the law and the prophets. Good teachers sometimes set out what they are not saying first, so that people don't get the wrong idea from what they then say.