Do you complain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10797

“Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.”

1 Corinthians 10:10​

We ought to be thankful for the things God has placed in our life. We are a blessed people in Christ. Those in Christ have been redeemed by His blood and set free from the penalty of sin. Regrettably, we all complain about things. When we do this, we commit the sin of ungratefulness towards God for His divine providence.

Just pause for a moment to remember what God has done for us. God has taken us poor weak and sinful people and made us his treasure and pleasure. He has given us a church family and made us citizens of Heaven. God has given us hope, everlasting joy, and peace in Christ. The blessings of God are countless. Who else can provide a greater bounty than our Lord? Count your blessings, it may surprise you when you realise what God has done for His people.

Consider the following questions. Do you complain about situations in your life? Do you fail to give thanks for all things God has given you? Are you always looking at the negative side of things? Do you trust God with every aspect of life?

The attitude of complaining is a lack of trust and faith in God. This attitude spiritual speaking is not healthy. Be specific to God during the confession of this sin. If you desire to please Christ this sin must be dealt with. Paul writes that those who grumbled were destroyed by the great Destroyer. Those who are not content receive judgment from God. We must learn to trust God with everything we have and be satisfied in Christ. You have trusted Him for your salvation now trust Him for every need of your essential daily life. God will and can supply our daily needs.

I am thinking about this today as I am reading this little peculiar Puritan work by Richard Younge entitled "The Prevention of Poverty." Most of my life I have been poor, yet God has blessed me with more than I can imagine. But, sometimes I wonder, why didnt God allow me to be raised by Christian parents? Why didnt God raise me in wealth so I could attend a good Christian college and seminary? Why didnt God allow me to be an extrovert, with the gift of speaking; or be one of the faces of popular evangelicalism; who get the joy of making their livings on the service of the king? Why am I stuck in a meaningless job; when at least I feel I have the heart to cross oceans for him? Then, I chuckle at my insanity at considering anything in this life comparable to the one to come. I am 40 years old, but even if I were 20, or younger, in a few short years, before I know it, I will be opening my eyes into eternity. If God gave me nothing but a Bible, a prison cell, and a promise that one day I would be with him forever, would my daily joy be diminished?

The reason I bring up this little book, is because Mr. Younge brings up a good point about the recompense of the wicked being wrought on the 3rd and 4th generation of the person who practices it. It could be, that a good portion of my suffering is a testament to the severity of godly upbringing, and the truth that God will not be mocked. Yet, in my suffering God has still blessed me more than many by my regeneration. So how can I complain? Whether I have shelter, or am homeless eating in a soup kitchen, one glorious day, with the saints in one accord, we will sing "blessed be the name of the Lord."

So murmuring to me is one of the most grievous sins I can commit. Because I deserve nothing, but have received everything. And when I do murmur, its like I am standing in the crowd spitting on the Lord on his way to the cross because he has chosen to reconcile me back to God instead of overthrow Rome.

Do you trust God with every aspect of life?
I appreciate this post so very much this morning. We're looking at a possible blizzard in my area by week's end, which really frightens me, and one of our cars died yesterday. I've been a bit worried and grumbly. This was a very timely and helpful reminder.

I am thinking about this today as I am reading this little peculiar Puritan work by Richard Younge entitled "The Prevention of Poverty." Most of my life I have been poor, yet God has blessed me with more than I can imagine. But, sometimes I wonder, why didnt God allow me to be raised by Christian parents? Why didnt God raise me in wealth so I could attend a good Christian college and seminary? Why didnt God allow me to be an extrovert, with the gift of speaking; or be one of the faces of popular evangelicalism; who get the joy of making their livings on the service of the king? Why am I stuck in a meaningless job; when at least I feel I have the heart to cross oceans for him? Then, I chuckle at my insanity at considering anything in this life comparable to the one to come. I am 40 years old, but even if I were 20, or younger, in a few short years, before I know it, I will be opening my eyes into eternity. If God gave me nothing but a Bible, a prison cell, and a promise that one day I would be with him forever, would my daily joy be diminished?

The reason I bring up this little book, is because Mr. Younge brings up a good point about the recompense of the wicked being wrought on the 3rd and 4th generation of the person who practices it. It could be, that a good portion of my suffering is a testament to the severity of godly upbringing, and the truth that God will not be mocked. Yet, in my suffering God has still blessed me more than many by my regeneration. So how can I complain? Whether I have shelter, or am homeless eating in a soup kitchen, one glorious day, with the saints in one accord, we will sing "blessed be the name of the Lord."

So murmuring to me is one of the most grievous sins I can commit. Because I deserve nothing, but have received everything. And when I do murmur, its like I am standing in the crowd spitting on the Lord on his way to the cross because he has chosen to reconcile me back to God instead of overthrow Rome.
I like your reference to a soup kitchen. I imagine that throughout most of human history, the majority of human beings have not even had access to such a thing. A soup kitchen is a rare provision I'd think.

I like your reference to a soup kitchen. I imagine that throughout most of human history, the majority of human beings have not even had access to such a thing. A soup kitchen is a rare provision I'd think.
True. I also do not know the history of such things. I know the Bible talks about food distribution for widows, but dont know if it is a uniquely Christian innovation, or if the practice of communal benevolence pre-dates that time?

You mean, like, about all the onions, leeks, and garlic I used to have, and now all I got is this boring old manna? Nah…

I meant to reply to this earlier in the week.

Grumbling, murmuring and whatever else we call complaining is a respectable sin because we can furnish reasons for it. Complaining also doesn't have same weight as theft, adultery and murder. Few people go to jail for murmuring. Rather it is a seedling sin that if not confessed and addressed will lead person to the big leagues.

“Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.”

1 Corinthians 10:10​

We ought to be thankful for the things God has placed in our life. We are a blessed people in Christ. Those in Christ have been redeemed by His blood and set free from the penalty of sin. Regrettably, we all complain about things. When we do this, we commit the sin of ungratefulness towards God for His divine providence.

Just pause for a moment to remember what God has done for us. God has taken us poor weak and sinful people and made us his treasure and pleasure. He has given us a church family and made us citizens of Heaven. God has given us hope, everlasting joy, and peace in Christ. The blessings of God are countless. Who else can provide a greater bounty than our Lord? Count your blessings, it may surprise you when you realise what God has done for His people.

Consider the following questions. Do you complain about situations in your life? Do you fail to give thanks for all things God has given you? Are you always looking at the negative side of things? Do you trust God with every aspect of life?

The attitude of complaining is a lack of trust and faith in God. This attitude spiritual speaking is not healthy. Be specific to God during the confession of this sin. If you desire to please Christ this sin must be dealt with. Paul writes that those who grumbled were destroyed by the great Destroyer. Those who are not content receive judgment from God. We must learn to trust God with everything we have and be satisfied in Christ. You have trusted Him for your salvation now trust Him for every need of your essential daily life. God will and can supply our daily needs.
The unregenerate alternatives aren't pleasant to contemplate.

Jude 1:16​

“These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back