Do You Desire to See Christ Face to Face? Richard Sibbes Explains...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher

The Christian’s Desire to See God Face to Face
by Richard Sibbes (1577–1635)

Richard Sibbes (1577–1635) was an inspiring Christ-centered minister and experiential preacher. He influenced Anglicanism, Presbyterianism, and Independency, was a pastor of pastors, and lived a life of moderation. Daniel Neal describes him as a celebrated preacher, an educated divine, and a charitable and humble man who repeatedly underestimated his gifts.

In this extraordinary work on Psalm 27:4, Sibbes instructs the reader concerning the beatific vision of God. He lays out the desire and affection of the holy prophet David, whose goal was to dwell with God, face to face. In this he lifts the reader to heights of sweetness concerning the object of the Christian’s desire: dwelling with God through Christ. He directs the reader to taste of Christ now, so that they will experience that coveted glimpse of God in their understanding, only to be encouraged that they will one day experience it face to face with Christ in heaven.

Such a sanctuary of thought is a high mountain of blessedness and causes the feet of our meditation of God to run like hind’s feet on high places upon the mountain of spices (Psalm 18:33; Hab. 3:19; Song 8:14). Sibbes is simple in this, yet profound. This is a work worthy to reflect and digest to find refreshment for the soul which will be enlivened to new heights of holy contemplation.

(This work is not a scan or facsimile, has been carefully transcribed by hand being made easy to read in modern English, and has an active table of contents for electronic versions.)

Get the eBook Pack Here at Puritan Publications.
Get the Printed Book Here at Our Spotlight Page.
Get the Google Play Version Here.
Get the Kindle Version Here.
Get the Nook Version Here.

FacetoFaceSibbesCOVERPS.jpg

Sounds wonderful. I especially like how we on see God in Jesus. This area is one I think many Christians imagine incorrectly, in that they think they will see The Father and Holy Spirit in a tangible way apart from Jesus.

Sounds wonderful. I especially like how we on see God in Jesus. This area is one I think many Christians imagine incorrectly, in that they think they will see The Father and Holy Spirit in a tangible way apart from Jesus.

I would agree with you that many times Christians have an incorrect idea of what they will "see" in heaven.
God being invisible by nature is still invisible in heaven. "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen." (1Ti. 1:17). He doesn't lose his invisibility in heaven; however, heaven is the place where he manifests himself most, and this through the personal presence of Jesus Christ, "the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." (2Co. 4:6).

I've contemplated working on a book on this topic, giving a Biblical and Reformed perspective from the Reformers and Puritans on the topic. There is not much out there on it. But heaven is heaven because of this idea of seeing God face to face. God makes heaven, heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back