Do you have a place for study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDidaskalia

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello,

I am very new to this forum and I was curious whether you have a place to withdraw yourself for the study of the word? I wanted to know how it looks like.

I couldn't find any thread like this, my apologies if I don't see it.

This is my place for now:

IMG_20201029_153445.jpg IMG_20201029_153550.jpg IMG_20201029_153558.jpg IMG_20201029_153643.jpg IMG_20201029_153511.jpg

Yes. I work from home and have a whole room. My area is usually more cluttered than yours appears to be, but is equally afflicted with insufficient shelf space for all the books. (I notice that some titles are the same, which is always a fun game to play when getting a glimpse of a fellow Puritan Boarder's shelves.)

Yes. I work from home and have a whole room. My area is usually more cluttered than yours appears to be, but is equally afflicted with insufficient shelf space for all the books. (I notice that some titles are the same, which is always a fun game to play when getting a glimpse of a fellow Puritan Boarder's shelves.)

I have a corner in our bedroom that is my office/study.
Feel free to post pictures. I really would love to actually see yours too.

I don’t have the room currently. Kitchen table is the only place.

I would find the pictures of men right before my face a distraction as I’m trying to contemplate God.

It must be a weakness of mine, but that inevitably draws my thoughts to the men and their times and their works, instead of God Himself.

I would find the pictures of men right before my face a distraction as I’m trying to contemplate God.
It's not like I'm starring at the wall all the time, but I know what you mean. I guess you get used to it.

To me having those pictures is actually humbling and encouraging. It reminds me of where I belong.

Last edited:
Over the years, I've used differing locations: tiny spare bedroom, attic room. Now, I use the Church office, as we have no place at home (with 7 children), or the peace and quiet needed! Though, sometimes, I cuddle up with my laptop and Logos software, on the corner of the sofa, in the evening to finish off study and preparation. Earplugs are a Godsend!

I use the church study. Here are two photos from when I first moved in. More books and decor have been added since. IMG_2463.jpg IMG_2462.jpg

Matthias, I love all the photos of great theologians. Help me out though. I see:

RC Sproul, Calvin, a puritan?, Owen, Augustine?, Bunyan
White, ?????, Luther, another puritan?, Spurgeon, MLJ

Matthias, I love all the photos of great theologians. Help me out though. I see:

RC Sproul, Calvin, a puritan?, Owen, Augustine?, Bunyan
White, ?????, Luther, another puritan?, Spurgeon, MLJ
Jonathan Edwards, John Chrysostom
Greg Bahnsen, Thomas Goodwin

In that order.

study-scaled.jpg

This used to be a closet. I spend maybe 2-4 hours an evening in this luxurious space.

The extra chair is for the cat. Other bookshelves are more aesthetically arranged in the living room.

We have a spare bedroom that I use for my home office/study/man cave/retreat from the world et al.

I have a small desk in our entertainment room that I'm the primary occupant of that I read at in the mornings, but once the day begins and the house is a buzz I tend to be nomadic and read/study wherever peace and quiet can be found.

Most of my personal library can be found in our storage/overflow room in the basement. Often when taking the trash out or working in the garage I stop in that room and can be found pulling a book off the shelf and reading for a few minutes here and there. If the topic is relevant to the musing of the day I'll take it upstairs and it finds a spot in the stack of books on my desk or nightstand. Once the stack of books grows too tall I'll thin the herd and take a bunch back downstairs to be re-shelved for future reference.

My children homeschool and it's interesting to think about their place for study. Most evenings I return from work and their school books can be found spread out on the dining table, at our kitchen nook, or at times on the rug in the living room. Worksheets I need to grade are often on my desk or on the bar counter.

Our entire house is a classroom...

I have a small desk in our entertainment room that I'm the primary occupant of that I read at in the mornings, but once the day begins and the house is a buzz I tend to be nomadic and read/study wherever peace and quiet can be found.

Most of my personal library can be found in our storage/overflow room in the basement. Often when taking the trash out or working in the garage I stop in that room and can be found pulling a book off the shelf and reading for a few minutes here and there. If the topic is relevant to the musing of the day I'll take it upstairs and it finds a spot in the stack of books on my desk or nightstand. Once the stack of books grows too tall I'll thin the herd and take a bunch back downstairs to be re-shelved for future reference.

My children homeschool and it's interesting to think about their place for study. Most evenings I return from work and their school books can be found spread out on the dining table, at our kitchen nook, or at times on the rug in the living room. Worksheets I need to grade are often on my desk or on the bar counter.

Our entire house is a classroom...
Bar counter? Knocking back a few while grading? :)

A few years ago I built a backyard office because my house is small and I needed a place to work/study. It also serves as my home library. It’s a 10x12 on skids based on plans I found online. I ran electricity and internet out to it. In the winter it’s heated by a ceramic radiator (the white square behind the black chair) which literally costs $10 for the entire year to keep it warm. In the summer I have a window AC unit to keep it cool and keep the humidity down. It’s messy right now. I’m a Trekkie so I call it the “Ready Room.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a lot of space right there. That would be a problem for me.
True. I do most of my stuff on the computer. Two monitors help. If you turn around from the view in the photo, there is a harpsichord, electronic keyboard station, and a couple smaller tables. I can spread out if need be.

Right now the harpsichord doubles as a platform for large plans and charts. I seem happiest with a bit of ordered chaos around me.

A few years ago I built a backyard office because my house is small and I needed a place to work/study. It also serves as my home library. It’s a 10x12 on skids based on plans I found online. I ran electricity and internet out to it. In the winter it’s heated by a ceramic radiator (the white square behind the black chair) which literally costs $10 for the entire year to keep it warm. In the summer I have a window AC unit to keep it cool and keep the humidity down. It’s messy right now. I’m a Trekkie so I call it the “Ready Room.”

Very nice! I have a 12 X 14 garden shed I've been meaning to do something similar to.

I am very new to this forum and I was curious whether you have a place to withdraw yourself for the study of the word? I wanted to know how it looks like.

I have the living room all to myself. Actually, I have the whole house since I get up before 3:00 a.m. :)

Bar counter? Knocking back a few while grading? :)
Come on now! I'm a tee-totaling Baptist...my house is as dry as the Atacama Desert in Chile!

Lol. As I was typing that I thought of how the bar counter reference might read. It's more like a high counter top in front of the sink area in the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back