Do you love the Lord Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Rollock:

If there be any man who loveth not the Lord Jesus, let him be Anathema, and Anathema Maranatha, 1 Cor. 16:22; that is, cursed for ever. He who loveth the Lord Jesus is blessed for ever, and he who hateth the Lord Jesus is cursed for ever. Now would to God we had an heart to say with Paul, the man who loveth not Christ, let him be Anathema! From whence rose this? From a wonderful love which the apostle bare to the Lord Jesus. And from whence rose this love to Christ? Look what the apostle saith in 2 Cor. 5:14, the love of Christ constraineth me. Now, would to God that we had the half of this love! and if it were so, we would have little patience to see things as they are, and to see the enemies of Christ Jesus set up the altar of the devil against the altar of Christ. We would not only make imprecations against them, but we would by all means hinder them. And this carelessness which we have, testifieth that we love not Christ; and if we love him not, an heavy judgment shall light upon us. Now therefore, seeing all grace is from the love of Christ, the Lord fill our hearts with that love, that we may be partakers of grace here, and hereafter be glorified with Christ. To whom, with the Father, and the Holy Spirit, be all praise, honour, and glory for evermore. Amen.

Last edited:
Robert Rollock:

If there be any man who loveth not the Lord Jesus, let him be Anathema, and Anathema Maranatha, 1 Cor. 16:12; that is, cursed for ever. He who loveth the Lord Jesus is blessed for ever, and he who hateth the Lord Jesus is cursed for ever. Now would to God we had an heart to say with Paul, the man who loveth not Christ, let him be Anathema! From whence rose this? From a wonderful love which the apostle bare to the Lord Jesus. And from whence rose this love to Christ? Look what the apostle saith in 2 Cor. 5:14, the love of Christ constraineth me. Now, would to God that we had the half of this love! and if it were so, we would have little patience to see things as they are, and to see the enemies of Christ Jesus set up the altar of the devil against the altar of Christ. We would not only make imprecations against them, but we would by all means hinder them. And this carelessness which we have, testifieth that we love not Christ; and if we love him not, an heavy judgment shall light upon us. Now therefore, seeing all grace is from the love of Christ, the Lord fill our hearts with that love, that we may be partakers of grace here, and hereafter be glorified with Christ. To whom, with the Father, and the Holy Spirit, be all praise, honour, and glory for evermore. Amen.

The more I read the Apostle Paul the more it causes me to cry out to God for this love and the faith to trust Him the way this man of God did.

This reminds me of this lovely hymn by Henry Collins: "Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All"

Jesus, my Lord, my God, my all,
Hear me, blest Savior when I call
Hear me, and from the Thy dwelling place
Pour down the riches of Thy grace
Jesus, my Lord, I Thee adore;
O make me love Thee more and more

Jesus, too late I Thee have sought;
How can I love Thee as I ought?
And how extol Thy matchless fame,
The glorious beauty of Thy Name?
Jesus, my Lord, I Thee adore;
O make me love Thee more and more