Do you regard Oct. 31, Halloween?

How do you regard Oct. 31, Halloween?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I forget what exactly we did for him, but somehow we got foil to stay on his head. You could probably cover a baseball hat or something.

This is NOT my husband, but here is a guy doing it:
285368636_a86cf00c3e.jpg

I just called my Chipotle to make sure it is on for this year, and the lady said it is from 6pm till 10 this year, just so you know : )

Dao, raise taxes on candy sales in October?? ;)
umm might work. The Government raise taxes on cigarettes. The effect cuts down on health problems. Taxes on Candy would cut down on health problems, too. Sweets probably kills more than cigarettes. Yesterday my wife was telling me that more people are killed from sleepy drivers than drunk drivers. How do we ban sleepy drivers and sweet toothers

Dao, raise taxes on candy sales in October?? ;)
umm might work. The Government raise taxes on cigarettes. The effect cuts down on health problems. Taxes on Candy would cut down on health problems, too. Sweets probably kills more than cigarettes. Yesterday my wife was telling me that more people are killed from sleepy drivers than drunk drivers. How do we ban sleepy drivers and sweet toothers
Well, I was going to say it isn't the government's concern whether we choose to eat candy and get cavities or not, but then I remembered...the government doesn't actually care what is and is not its concern. :D

Well, I was going to say it isn't the government's concern whether we choose to eat candy and get cavities or not, but then I remembered...the government doesn't actually care what is and is not its concern. :D
You might get denied from health insurance if you have cavities.

This is not as straightforward as I thought.
I need to make sure I understand properly before I vote...sorry to be slow!
If I picked the first option, would I be saying a)that's what I think it's for, and that's actually what I do on Oct 31st.....
or b)that I see nothing in Halloween except for
"ghoulish decor, ....the whole experience" implying that it's unredeemable and therefore I wouldn't touch it with the tongs?
Also, what does the last option mean?
Thanks!

Rat brains! is very esoteric. You either get it or you don't. :p

-----Added 10/16/2009 at 11:21:13 EST-----

Is there a plain "nothing at all" possibility. It felt too weird to vote "rat brains" whatever that is :lol:

Adam, I thought of making a nothing option. I didn't because I thought that the majority of the Reformed would acknowledge or remember the Reformation on that day, and pick that option for non Halloween observance.

Adam, I thought of making a nothing option. I didn't because I thought that the majority of the Reformed would acknowledge or remember the Reformation on that day, and pick that option for non Halloween observance.

Without any pretence of judging anyone else's motives, it just strikes me that "Reformation Day" is just a modern attempt by reformed Christians to substitute their own party for Halloween. I would be very interested in knowing when this phenomenon started. It is remarkably like "Harvest Parties" that everyone (believer and unbeliever alike) knows is the evangelical substitute for Halloween parties. There are just too many events in church history that are worthy of commemorating that we don't have special days and parties for: 'Council of Nicaea Day' or 'Solemn League and Covenant Day'. But then again neither of those coincides with a special holiday in the world. :think:

Without any pretence of judging anyone else's motives, it just strikes me that "Reformation Day" is just a modern attempt by reformed Christians to substitute their own party for Halloween. I would be very interested in knowing when this phenomenon started. It is remarkably like "Harvest Parties" that everyone (believer and unbeliever alike) knows is the evangelical substitute for Halloween parties. There are just too many events in church history that are worthy of commemorating that we don't have special days and parties for: 'Council of Nicaea Day' or 'Solemn League and Covenant Day'. But then again neither of those coincides with a special holiday in the world. :think:

Well, for my family, Reformation Day activities is a prayer at the dinner table thanking God for His providence and for the people that He used to pave the way for reformation. That's it.

I wouldn't mind knowing when it started as well. I think it is a great idea, whoever started it, to have a day of thanksgiving for the Reformation which was a miraculous act of God to return the church to himself. Much like the reformation in King Josiah's time.

So does it have to be on one's head?

Nope. I'm pretty sure you just have to have foil somewhere on your person. I don't think it even has to necessarily look like a burrito. I bet if you wrapped your forearm it would work. You can always try something very minor and if they say it doesn't pass don't order until you fix it. They do this just as a promotion, so they really aren't sticklers. The lady on the phone said "bring all your friends!"

P.S.

One thing we DEFINITELY do is go to Chipotle! If you put foil on your body in some way to look like a burrito, you get a free burrito!! We have done this for the last three years and their burritos are HUGE. This year the kids will be old enough to eat one, so we'll even put foil on them!

Weird picture, but like this:
n151101582_30343348_1226.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the tip! I loooove Chipotle. Sadly, there is not one where I live. :( I will be sure to tell everyone I know that lives nearby one though.

So does it have to be on one's head?

Nope. I'm pretty sure you just have to have foil somewhere on your person. I don't think it even has to necessarily look like a burrito. I bet if you wrapped your forearm it would work. You can always try something very minor and if they say it doesn't pass don't order until you fix it. They do this just as a promotion, so they really aren't sticklers. The lady on the phone said "bring all your friends!"

This might be what we do this year. Thanks! I will have to ask if ours does this. :up: :up:

I am wondering just what Josh has in mind for his tin foil. :think: Burrito sized muscles or something..... :p

I don't think I have the resources this year, but someday I would like to have myself and anyone else who participates dress up like Puritans:manton: or something, watch the Martin Luther movie(s):luther:, and drink some golden ale :cheers2:

and also give candy to trick or treaters while wishing them a happy Reformation Day

I forget what exactly we did for him, but somehow we got foil to stay on his head. You could probably cover a baseball hat or something.

285368636_a86cf00c3e.jpg

I just called my Chipotle to make sure it is on for this year, and the lady said it is from 6pm till 10 this year, just so you know : )

That guy looks like Mister Baked Potato Head. :wow:

285368636_a86cf00c3e.jpg

That guy looks like Mister Baked Potato Head. :wow:

He does look baked.

For me it's a time when I wait for my niece to get home with all her candy and help her eat it all in one sitting!.....yep, that's why I've joined a gym! :)

For me it's a time when I wait for my niece to get home with all her candy and help her eat it all in one sitting!.....yep, that's why I've joined a gym! :)

As a Doctor you should know better and set an example. :think:

We don't celebrate either day. I've always had a hard time getting excited about holidays, religious or otherwise. Maybe I'm just lazy.

I come from the Dominican Republic where there is absolutely no Halloween tradition, so for me, Oct. 31st is just another day, sometimes I don't even remember that it's Halloween until trick-or-treaters show up. I do remember Reformation day, though.

Our neighbors and their kids are having fun with trick or treating and costumes, so we've made a point of being home and joining in as best we can. There are so few easy opportunities to relate to the neighbors, we hate to let it pass. We try to avoid the overtly goulish or anything that seems to be bringing obvious glory to the devil. But we don't wish to be party poopers. It helps to party with your neighbors before trying to preach to them.

We will be at church celebrating Reformation Day. Our church is set up in stations that celebrate: the Diet of Worms, Theses on the Door, Stained glass church window, the transformation in the forest, alms for the poor, and a quiz of a famous reformer. This year's person is William Tyndale. People dress up in period costumes.

The school I work at is having a Fall Carnival today. I have to work it w/o pay, but I am celebrating Reformation Day myself. Think I might hum some hymns and stand like Luther in the yard this morning... just like any other day.

Honestly,

I pretty much try to avoid it.

Jessi mentioned dressing up like a burrito for a free chipotle burrito, and a huge one at that- now that sounds a little tempting, though.

I didn't vote as I don't know what Rat Brains is supposed to mean. I'm English ;)

I don't know that we celebrate Reformation Day to cover over Halloween in the same way that Christmas covers over Saturnalia. That is indeed the day that Martin Luther posted his 95 theses. If he had posted them on May 5th, would we not have Reformation Day on May 5th and simply ignore Halloween altogether?

I already do. Halloween is a pagan and satanic holy day. I am happy, though, to celebrate a day which we acknowledge God's provision, grace, and guidance in starting the Reformation.

I don't know that we celebrate Reformation Day to cover over Halloween in the same way that Christmas covers over Saturnalia. That is indeed the day that Martin Luther posted his 95 theses. If he had posted them on May 5th, would we not have Reformation Day on May 5th and simply ignore Halloween altogether?

:think: Hmmm. I wonder....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back