Doctrine of Hell, Heaven v Hell in the Gospels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I read a respected author stating that Christ spoke more of hell than He did of heaven. A quick word count contradicted this (as several liberals I found by googling had already). I am left wondering if the author (buried offprint somewhere in the study) had actually intended a different meaning - that Christ was more explicit in His teaching on hell. (Luke 16 Lazarus and the rich man amongst other texts)

Can anyone shed more definite light on the subject? I will add the exact quotation if I can find it.

A word count might not reveal phrases such as "Where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched..."

I have heard these stats: almost 1900 verses attributed to Christ, 13% dealing with hell/judgment - more than any other topic that He taught on.

Although I have not done the count myself, I have heard this statistic. I believe that the author you were reading was probably referring to Christ speaking topically of eternal punishment, even if the verses did not explicitly use the word "hell".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back