Does 1 Cor. 10:32 save Dispensationalism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, 33 just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.

Jerry Vines/J. Shaddix comments:

The entire human race is divided into 3 categories: the Jew, the Gentile, and the Church. All Scripture is divided into these categories...The ethnic division principle will help you avoid misapplying many Old Testmanet prophecies addressed to the nation of Israel. Literal promises were given to the Jewish people and they have been, or will be fulfilled literally (Power in the Pulpit, 116).

I have my own thoughts and rebuttals but want to see what others think.

[Edited on 4--18-05 by Draught Horse]

I think this guy has pulled this verse out of its place and tried to use it to make a point about all other Scripture. Jews & Greeks were two very important cultural entities at this time, then there was the Church...In my humble opinion.

Seems like there's something missing here. The scripture reference, in and of itself, provides no support for common dispensationalism, and the author of the commentary doesn't appear to be guilty of anything more than identifying characteristics. Perhaps if you revealed more of what was mentioned on the subject.....

The language parallels Paul's comments in 1 Cor. 1:22, in which Paul describes the different attitudes and proclivities of unbelieving Jews and unbelieving Greeks. It has nothing to do with "dividing up the human race." After all, one could say according to this passage that there are a host of pagans (e.g. Chines) that are more like Jews than Greeks.

There are two groups - the Light and the Dark. Notice it does not say we are IN darkness or IN light. It says we ARE Darkness or we ARE Light.

Another way to explain it is to examine the fact that all men are members of one of two kingdoms. One Light, and the other Dark. Beyond that there are no other meaningful distinctions that can be made from the Scripture.

Ephesians 5
8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9(for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), 10finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. 11And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. 13But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light. 14Therefore He says:
"Awake, you who sleep,
Arise from the dead,
And Christ will give you light."

Colossians 1
9For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; 11strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; 12giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. 13He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.

Phillip

[Edited on 4-18-05 by pastorway]

My pastor has been going through 1 Cor for the last 6 months. We did chapter 9 today. Paul is clearly on a roll through several chapters here teaching that he does what it takes to preach the gospel to whoever his audience is.

1 Cor 9:19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more.

20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;

21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.

23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

In chapter 8 Paul talks about he would not eat meat if he was with brothers who were vegetarian because their conscience was pricked about eating meat that may have been sacrificed to idols because they were once idol worshippers. He is talking about not offending weaker brothers who have pricked consciences because of their past. He is obviously continuing this theme because in 1 Cor 10:28-29 he reinterates this point.

28 But if anyone says to you, "This is meat sacrificed to idols," do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience' sake;

29 I mean not your own conscience, but the other man's; for why is my freedom judged by another's conscience?

We are free he says but don't offend your weaker bretheren. For their conscience sake. Then he ends it with a reinteration from chapter 9. He is still on the same subject.

33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit but the profit of the many, so that they may be saved.

[Edited on 4-18-2005 by Augusta]

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who divide people into groups and those who don't. :bigsmile:

On a more serious note I would offer the following criticisms of Vine's remarks:

1. He makes a big point of having THREE disparate groups: Jews, Gentiles, and the Church. If such is the case, what is the Church made up of?

2. Dispensationalists often wave the "we are literalists" flag around, but that is a pretty easy notion to debunk.

3. Dispensationalists tend to pretend that NT commentary on the fulfillment of OT prophecies do not exist.

Originally posted by kevin.carroll
On a more serious note I would offer the following criticisms of Vine's remarks:

1. He makes a big point of having THREE disparate groups: Jews, Gentiles, and the Church. If such is the case, what is the Church made up of?

2. Dispensationalists often wave the "we are literalists" flag around, but that is a pretty easy notion to debunk.

3. Dispensationalists tend to pretend that NT commentary on the fulfillment of OT prophecies do not exist.

:ditto:
Also....the quote proves that Dispensationalism is NOT just about eschatology.....it involves an entirely different interpretation of the Bible.

Robin

Originally posted by Robin

:ditto:
Also....the quote proves that Dispensationalism is NOT just about eschatology.....it involves an entirely different interpretation of the Bible.

Robin

:ditto: Excellent points!

I don't think it could *save* dispensationalism, seeing as how 1 Cor 10:1-4 totally destroys it before we even get to verse 32 ;):bigsmile:

Originally posted by maxdetail
There are THREE kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't.

Bob,

"...Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached..."

Thank you Andrew, you never disappoint me. I knew that was coming.

Sorry Jacob, didn't mean to infect a great thread with frivolity. Carry on.

Remember, George -- er, Bob -- no man -- er, poster -- is a failure who has friends! :)

Hey, wanna head over to Nick's, I mean, the Puritan Pub? :detective:

Can't, I'm buried at work. But we better cut this out or we're going to get moved to another thread or worse, another bulletin board.... and you a doctor.

Now stop it... I mean it!
(Does anybody want a peanut?)

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
There are THREE kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't.

Bob,

"...Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached..."

:lol::lol::lol: NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

That's a relief Jacob. I kept looking at your avatar and you look like you were about to grab a fine piece of hickory and go Eastwood on my body. I am truly sorry that Andrew made this thread spin wildly out of control. I tried to stop him.

(Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those
responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked
have been sacked.)

That's a relief Jacob. I kept looking at your avatar and you look like you were about to grab a fine piece of hickory and go Eastwood on my body. I am truly sorry that Andrew made this thread spin wildly out of control. I tried to stop him.

have been sacked.)

I often lay awake wondering about the air velocity of an unladen swallow...

Monte Python can be a mixed blessing. Funny though.

;)

have been sacked.)

I often lay awake wondering about the air velocity of an unladen swallow...

Which kind? African or European? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back