Does anybody know where "Unconditional Love" comes from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grymir

Puritan Board Graduate
And I'm using it in the love someone regardless of behavior or beliefs definition. I looking to see where the modern usage of the words came from. My wife and I were talking about it, and how we don't believe in such, but were wondering where it comes from.

Thanks,
Grymir

Unconditional love, in the modern non-Reformed evangelical sense, is, in my opinion, a defective and perverted understanding of Unconditional Election.

God does love the elect unconditionally, in terms of salvation, however, He does not love us unconditionally in terms of sanctification - that is - in terms of chastisement for disobedience ("those He loves, He chastens").

Last edited:
Grammar Police Strike Again!

And I'm using it in the love someone regardless of behavior or beliefs definition. I looking to see where the modern usage of the words came from. My wife and I were talking about it, and how we don't believe in such, but were wondering where it comes from.

Thanks,
Grymir

It's not 'regardless'; it's 'regardless.'

Thanks,
Grymir

It's not 'regardless'; it's 'regardless.'

I'm not feeling the (unconditional) love.....:lol:

Grymir;

I don't know where the term comes from, but there are people whom I love regardless of the hurt they caused me by their sin.

Consider if your child turned from you and the Lord and began living in a very sinful lifestyle, would you still love that child? or would you harden your heart towards them and stop loving them? Even if you did not speak to them, would you still love them regardless?

What about a sibling? or a parent?

on another note, is it really about actions? Or is it more about the value they carry as a person, being created in the image of God?

Last edited:
I first saw the term used in the self help books of the '80's, though I'm sure it predates that time.

Theognome

no love is unconditional. All love is conditional. Unconditional love reeks of permissiveness. It reminds me of the movie "Leaving Las Vegas" where Nicolas Cage married Elizabeth Shue and he drank himself to death. She loved him so unconditionally that she did not chastise him, but loved him in his drunken state.

Should husbands 'conditionally' love their wives as Christ 'conditionally' loved the church? (Ephesians 5:25) I certainly hope not! (for all our sakes) True love (i.e. godly) is by its very nature unconditional.

But there is a difference between worldly unconditional love and Christian unconditional love. For unconditional love in the Christian understanding means that we do not ignore but rather speak to them concerning their sin and/or unbelief. For this love "does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth". (1 Corinthians 13:6).

In other words a proper understanding of unconditional love includes the necessary rebuke/exhortation/encouragement unto holiness even as Christ's love for us implies the purpose for which He died was not only to cleanse us from the guilt of our sins but also to sanctify us (see Ephesians 5:26-27).

Anton Bruckner;

no love is unconditional. All love is conditional. Unconditional love reeks of permissiveness. It reminds me of the movie "Leaving Las Vegas" where Nicolas Cage married Elizabeth Shue and he drank himself to death. She loved him so unconditionally that she did not chastise him, but loved him in his drunken state.

I would disagree, I tend to think it is relationships that are conditional, not love.

in the above mentioned movie, did she 'love' him unconditionally or have a relationship with him unconditionally, No matter what he did?

It appears people tend to believe one must have a good relationship with all those they love..even looking at Church discipline, do you just stop loving the person who is excommunicated, merely because they turn away from God and the Church? Or do you continue to love them praying for them to repent and return?

Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

Luk 6:27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

Luk 6:28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

Luk 6:32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

Luk 6:33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

Luk 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and [to] the evil.

G'day Y'all!

I am talking about the psyco-bable usage of the term 'unconditional love', not the real way we Christians are supposed to love each other, which y'all have made a great distinction of.

I to saw it used in alot of 80's self-help books. Think "Power of Positive Thinking". We were looking at some liberal marriage forums, and were amazed at the way some people had there marriages. Swinging was even a option as long as people 'loved' each other. Usage was also used with people being basicly good, and how we had to love them to help them find themselves.

I knew it was popularized in the 80's, but was wondering if there was a person or movement that popularized it's usage.

Grymir:

Sorry I made the error of posting something off topic.

This is a rather embarrassing gaff for a moderator. Even now I can hear Rich & Josh sharpening the axe of separation for this citizen of the Commonwealth. I think they will be serving some type of Massachusetts tea in the coffee shop very soon after the stamp of disapproval from my fellow moderators.

Grymir:

Sorry I made the error of posting something off topic.

This is a rather embarrassing gaff for a moderator. Even now I can hear Rich & Josh sharpening the axe of separation for this citizen of the Commonwealth. I think they will be serving some type of Massachusetts tea in the coffee shop very soon after the stamp of disapproval from my fellow moderators.

Massachusetts tea :rofl:

Grymir;

I am talking about the psyco-bable usage of the term 'unconditional love', not the real way we Christians are supposed to love each other, which y'all have made a great distinction of.

Outside of Christianity, there is no such thing as unconditional love--they may try and usurp the word, but it is NOT unconditional love.

Love does not encourage sin, so therefore, if a husband is encouraging his wife to sin, he does not love her..he actually loathes her, as he would rather see her burn than to live..and that is not love..

What you describe is just another attempt to destroy the soul--and is not love at all..but a lie..

And anyone, who says that they are being loving by encouraging such things..is a liar..love can be shown in many ways, but that is not one of them..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back