Does anyone know

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaptistCanuk

Puritan Board Sophomore
why Paul persecuted his own people? How come Jesus didn't say to Paul, "Why are you persecuting YOUR people?" instead of what he did say, "Why are you persecuting MY people?".

Originally posted by BaptistCanuk
How come Jesus didn't say to Paul, "Why are you persecuting YOUR people?" instead of what he did say, "Why are you persecuting MY people?".
Brian,
Which verse are you talking about? I found these verses:

Act 9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

Act 22:7 And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

Act 26:14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

...but in these verses it says Paul was persecuting Jesus when he was persecuting the church.

Ecclesiology (i.e. doctrine of the church) - What You\'re Begging For?

Originally posted by BaptistCanuk
why Paul persecuted his own people? How come Jesus didn't say to Paul, "Why are you persecuting YOUR people?" instead of what he did say, "Why are you persecuting MY people?".
Because Paul was persecuting his people, Jews of faith. Though, I would say your reference is off base (Acts 9:3-5). See Matthew Henry's commentary.

(I see what you're getting at. There is an underlying pattern/theme you're demonstrating in your recent threads.);)

Here let me help you out some... Israel in Romans 11 is a clearly connotation which refers to ethnic Israel, the physical heirs of Abraham. The Reformed don't hide from it. Does it vindicate dispensationalist ecclesiology? No. We acknowledge that God has not cast off His first people by any means. There are physical heirs of Abraham (i.e. Jews of faith in Jesus Christ) within the body of Christ.

Now consider reading Galatians 3. The Scriptures purport a profound unity within the body of Christ, which includes peoples of all nations (Eph 2:12-14; Heb 11:24-26; Rom 11:16-17). The focus of an exegetical reading of Israel, of course, is the third chapter of Paul's letter to the Galatians. God in his forbearance has by no means cast his people off. The true Promised Land for Jews and Gentiles of faith is a celestial or heavenly kingdom!

In his letter to the Galatians, the Apostle Paul explains that all those of faith are heirs to the covenant promises of Abraham:
16 Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, "And to seeds," as of many, but as of one, "And to your Seed," who is Christ... 19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator... 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus... 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
(Galatians 3:16,19,26,28,29)
Israel is the church. The dispensationalists get on their high-horse and say no Old Testament prophet forsaw salvation to the nations, but consider Isaiah 54. Furthermore, Isaiah 40:3–5 declares, "And all flesh shall see the salvation of God," which is itinerated by Christ in Luke 3:6. (See Matthew Henry's commentary complete or concise.

Again, Acts 7:38 says, "This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us." (cf. see Greek Bible)

I hope that helps. You asked for it. I would be happy to manifest the dispensationalists in their own words if you so desire, and show further why it is not sound ecclesiology.
:)

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by Puritanhead]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back