Does Anything God Created Have the Property of Self-Existence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings, fellow Pilgrims, beloved by the Lord,

I will keep this short and simple because I have mentioned this several times before, and nobody seemed particularly interested.

Let's try it again. I want to know your thoughts about something that must be the case. But I know I may be wrong too.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth and all that exists. And then he rested the seventh day. So far, so good.

But what about all the stuff he created? I mean, like every electron in the farthest galaxy away. Does he now, and has he always continued to exert that same dunamis power [strength, δύναμης] to maintain the Creation in its existence lest it instantly returns to its original nothing?

What I used to tell my Sunday school students is that Creation could be likened to God turning on a flashlight. And then Providence is like God keeping the flashlight on. The same power God needed to create during the finite time of Creation, which lasted six days, has continued at the same level of exertion to maintain the creation in its being.

Over the years, my wife and I have logged something like 2,000 miles on the Appalachian Trail. Often, as I was on the trail, I would think of these rocks that I stepped on, climbed over, ignored, but otherwise seemed insignificant. But then I started to think of that rock that has been there for thousands of years and wondered, do the stones have the property of self-existence? I don't think so. I believe that God has his total attention on every part of the creation all the time and maintains it in its existence.

I hope you understand what I'm saying because it seems really simple to me. So, what can we find in the Scripture to answer my question? I find nothing.

Here's another way of looking at it.

Q. Does the nothing God used to make everything out of now have a property of self-existence?

Q. Or -- Is everything in the inanimate, plant, animal, man, all angels and devils, as well as the laws of logic, math, and all forces, many of which yet to be understood by man, require the second-by-second creative power of God to exist.

Caution:
This question is more than an academic or theological question. Because if everything depends on Jesus' moment-to-moment power and will to remain in existence, then you should fear and tremble Him all the more, having learned that Jesus is bigger now than you thought he was yesterday. Like it was for Lucy and Aslan.

Jesus Christ is the mighty God in charge of all the work of Creation, which continues through Providence to this day.

Thoughts?

Col. 1:17, "And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Or it could be rendered: "..by him [the divine Christ] do all things cohere." I think it means more than with him at the center, everything makes sense, or a comparable spiritual-immaterial description. Paul has just attributed to God in the Second Person the actual creation of the world, v16, where he is also said to be that center of meaning and purpose ("... for him"). He is before all created things, and his will keeps those created things; and apart from that will, they should dissipate and come immediately to nothing.

I don't think anything can exist apart from God. I believe He must give the life and sustain it. Think about any living thing where the spirit is not with the body. It is dead. And I believe God places the spirit of life in each living thing, so I imagine He sustains it as well. Though I do think scientifically living things are designed to function as a machine, where all the parts work together for survival. But apart from God, nothing could stay alive.

"Live and move and have our being"

Hi Earl,

My lifelong favorite quote on the Omnipresence of God is from Fisher's Catechism Q. 4 "What is God?"
Question 40 is the statement I love so much, probably because it is rare to hear such a statement.

Q. 39. How is he present in heaven?
A. By the most bright and immediate displays of his glory, all the inhabitants of the upper sanctuary seeing him as he is, and enjoying him without interruption forever, 1 John 3:2; Psalm 16:11.

Q. 40. How is he present in hell?
A. In a way of tremendous power and justice, upholding the damned in their being, that they may lie under the strokes of his vindictive wrath for evermore, Psalm 90:11; Matt. 25:46.

Hebrews 1:3

"Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;"

Matthew Poole on John 5:17:

But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

We read of no objection they made to Christ, as to what he had done, only that they persecuted him, which they might do without speaking to him: but it should seem by what we read in this verse, that some of the Jews had objected to him his violation of the sabbath (as they thought); yet, as we before noted, answered (in the dialect of the gospel) doth often signify no more than the beginning of a discourse upon some proper occasion offered. Our Saviour defends himself from the example of his Father, in the remembrance of whose resting from his work of creation on the seventh day from the beginning of the creation, the Jews kept their sabbath; who, though he rested from his work of creation, yet hitherto

worketh, as well on the sabbath day as any other day, by his preservation of created beings: so (saith he) I, who am the Son of this Father, also work; upholding all things by the word of my power, Hebrews 1:3. So that works of Divine Providence are lawful on the sabbath day; such was this. I work no other way than my Father still worketh, though he rested on the seventh day from the creation.

I listened to a lecture by Dr. Gerstner thr other day about the connection between providence and creation.

About how not only can nothing exist without God's providential preservation, but in Gerstner's understanding, that all created things are preserved by God's continual recreating of them. That in a sense God's providence and creation go hand in hand.

He is continually by means of providence maintaining the created things from non-existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back