Does everyone have a conscience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABondSlaveofChristJesus

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm studying for a psychology final, and I´m to the section on personality disorders this is what it has to say(btw the author is an evangelical) ....

" The most troubling of these impulsive personality disorders is the antisocial personality disorder. The person (formerly called a sociopath or a psychopath) is typically a male whose lack of conscience becomes plain before the age of 15, as he begins to lie, steal, fight, or display unrestrained sexual behavior. About half of such children become antisocial adults--unable to keep a job, irresponsible as a spouse and parent, and assault or otherwise criminal. When the antisocial personality combines a keen intelligence with amorality, the result may be a charming and clever con artist--or worse."

"...Antisocial personalities feel little and fear little, and in extreme cases, the results can be horrifyingly tragic. Henry Le Lucas reports that at age 13 he had strangled a woman who refused to have sex with him. He at one time confessed to having bludgeoned, suffocated, stabbed, shot, or mutilated some 360 women, men and children during his 32 years of crime. During the last 6 years of his reign of terror, Lucas teamed with Elwood Toole, who reportedly slaughtered about 50 people whom he "didn't think was worth living anyhow." It ended when Lucas confessed to stabbing and dismembering his 15-year-old common-law wife, who was Toole's niece."

"The antisocial personality expresses little regret over violating others rights. "once I've done a crime, I just forget it," stated Lucas. Toole was equally matter-of-fact: "I think of killing like smoking a cigarette, like another habit"

"œ"some studies have detected the early signs of antisocial behavior in children as young as age 3 to 6"

It seems like these people are born with a lack of feeling and conscious.

[Edited on 15-12-2004 by ABondSlaveofChristJesus]

Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Sounds like Hitler et.al. weren't sinners...they just had a mass murder disorder...

I think we have lost the term reprobate in our time. Pray for all but if a guy dies in all his sinful glory, I would rather call him a reprobate than blame it on a disorder...

yes we all have a conscience, but part of God's punishment for sin is seen in consciences that are seared as He turns people over to their sin.

Rom 1 and 1 Tim 4:2

Phillip

Some can sere their consciences.

I think we all have to train our conciences. That is, we have to learn to listen to the right vs. wrong in all of us, and choose to do what is right. Then experience will add to the right vs. wrong criteria. Those who ignore this, or do what feels good without regard to the right vs. wrong in them, get trained the other way; they train themselves not to pay attention to conscience. But they cannot erase it. There is always some kind of offence that these offenders react to to do their crimes, thus condemning themselves. It is always there, but can become the impetus to further disregard to conscience. That's why there were/are Hitlers.

conscience: con=with; science=knowledge
The Bible says that God has written His Law on our hearts, so when we lie, steal, fornicate, blaspheme, etc. we know it is wrong because of our conscience. We are with knowledge.

Don't forget that the unrighteous suppress the true knowledge of God (Rom. 1.18; Ps. 14.1). If you keep telling yourself a lie, you may come to believe it. But it's still a lie.

[Edited on 3-1-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Not that you will come to believe, but God will give you over to it. Whether it be a lie, or any other sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back