Does God Make Requests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msortwell

Puritan Board Freshman
My question is relatively simple.

I have heard preachers exhort their hearers to do what God asks of us, but they seem to always be referring to what God requires of us.

Is there an example where God the Father or God the Son is actually requesting that we do something or believe something?

We may use modern parlance and employ the expression "God asks of us"... just so long as it is understood that a human is never in the position of optional compliance with their creator. Rather, it's like I explain military life to civilians: superiors don't usually go around barking bossy commands at their subordinates... instead, a culture of courtesy typically prevails and seniors will often "ask" their subordinates to do something ("On your way home, would you please stop by the Garrison and give this paper to the requisitions officer?") BUT... IT MUST ALWAYS be understood that when a senior "asks" he isn't really asking... he's telling you nicely.

We may use modern parlance and employ the expression "God asks of us"... just so long as it is understood that a human is never in the position of optional compliance with their creator. Rather, it's like I explain military life to civilians: superiors don't usually go around barking bossy commands at their subordinates... instead, a culture of courtesy typically prevails and seniors will often "ask" their subordinates to do something ("On your way home, would you please stop by the Garrison and give this paper to the requisitions officer?") BUT... IT MUST ALWAYS be understood that when a senior "asks" he isn't really asking... he's telling you nicely.
Having served for ten years, I understand what you are saying. Still, when the language coming from the one in authority was, “That’s an order,” there was no ambiguity. What I am interested in is whether or not the language of Scripture, in any particular text, can be appropriately translated and interpreted as a request on the part of the Sovereign One.

To be clear, I am not averse to the notion that God might make a request of a creature. It is not immediately obvious to me how it might conflict with any of His attributes. I simply have not yet become aware of any such requests.

I am sorry, but it seems to me that calling a command a request ought not to be attributed to merely applying a particular way of way of speaking (I.e., parlance). It is simply inaccurate.

I am sorry, but it seems to me that calling a command a request ought not to be attributed to merely applying a particular way of way of speaking (I.e., parlance). It is simply inaccurate.
The way a sentence is constructed bears significantly on how we should interpret the communication.

My point is simply that it is indeed possible to construct a sentence that at least formally asks a question (Will you please go do this or that?) when in fact it is a kindly or gently worded command.

Passages such as 2 Sam 24:12 illustrate that God is not averse to giving choices. Further, the frequent language of entreaty is not merely the language of command.

So be chill, you!

The way a sentence is constructed bears significantly on how we should interpret the communication.

My point is simply that it is indeed possible to construct a sentence that at least formally asks a question (Will you please go do this or that?) when in fact it is a kindly or gently worded command.

Passages such as 2 Sam 24:12 illustrate that God is not averse to giving choices. Further, the frequent language of entreaty is not merely the language of command.

So be chill, you!
It is certainly possible that a sentence that , were it to be considered in isolation, would be a question, but when informed by context would be understood as a gentle command. But that really doesn’t address my question. It interests me that this question seems to foster contention. I am not sure there are any theological implications, if God, when speaking to His creatures never makes requests. So why is merely asking the question bothersome?

Last edited:
It is certainly possible that a sentence that , were it to be considered in isolation, would be a question, but when informed by context would be understood as a gentle command. But that really doesn’t address my question. It interests me that this question seems to foster contention. I am not sure there are any theological implications, if God, when speaking to His creatures never makes requests. So why is merely asking the question bothersome?
Because the image that’s presented by seeking to believe or assert that God only, and always communicates to us by way of command is not only textually untrue but it eviscerates the tone and timbre of scripture. If, in every way, shape and form, God relates to us by way of command, or that everything should be construed as “that’s an order!” — then that nullifies the image of Christ wooing his bride, or of God as our father, permitting us to run stray and then welcoming us home, of our Lord also being our friend. Sure, it must never be forgotten that he is our Lord. Maybe it makes you feel like you’re being faithful to conjure up the idea that God only speaks to us like a King breathing down our neck with orders. But that image or portrayal of God is just not true. Like I said, I think I’m fairly accurately drawing a correspondence between how chain of command ordinarily works in the military - in which it’s a culture of courtesy that enables commands to often be initially presented as requests - and that’s not just a mirage. Please don’t be tempted to dismiss it as that. Good leaders know that relationships matter and so they use as gracious a tone and manner as possible whenever possible. And since we are in a relationship with God, and in relationships, tones and manner of expression matters, this is why God so seldom thunders at his people but rather communicates as someone who wants and delights in us. And it is precisely to convey that gracious tone that we commonly use the language of “God is asking us to do…“ Or “God is inviting us to…“ And if you can’t see that and the wisdom behind it, then well, ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back