Does God teach the heathen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
Today I had lunch with a friend.
He and I both have mutual former friends who have broken up a marriage and in general been very devious and evil and a poor picture of what a believer should be.
Though they claim to be believers and one even teaches a Bible class...
they are just sorry people I would never trust.

But who among us hasn't been a poor picture of a believer? I never stole anyone's wife
but I am as wretched as the next guy. Pick any. I am easily as wicked but for what God does in me by the Holy Spirit. I think they could see the error of their ways if they got the slats knocked out from under them.

I asked my buddy why he thought it was that God hasn't corrected these guys. Let them reap what they have sown.
How do they continue to scheme, prosper and even strut about basically untouched and unphased?

His response was:

" Maybe they aren't God's people. I don't think they ever were.
God is only concerned with His sheep. He lets the other sheep do as their leader bids them.
They are not his concern anymore."

Does this sound Biblical? In your opinion is God basically done with the non elect?

Today I had lunch with a friend.
He and I both have mutual former friends who have broken up a marriage and in general been very devious and evil and a poor picture of what a believer should be.
Though they claim to be believers and one even teaches a Bible class...
they are just sorry people I would never trust.

But who among us hasn't been a poor picture of a believer? I never stole anyone's wife
but I am as wretched as the next guy. Pick any. I am easily as wicked but for what God does in me by the Holy Spirit. I think they could see the error of their ways if they got the slats knocked out from under them.

I asked my buddy why he thought it was that God hasn't corrected these guys. Let them reap what they have sown.
How do they continue to scheme, prosper and even strut about basically untouched and unphased?

His response was:

" Maybe they aren't God's people. I don't think they ever were.
God is only concerned with His sheep. He lets the other sheep do as their leader bids them.
They are not his concern anymore."

Does this sound Biblical? In your opinion is God basically done with the non elect?

Questioning whether they are currently regenerate is something wholly other than questioning whether they are elect. Perhaps they aren't chastised now because they aren't God's people but that doesn't mean they will never be.

But He still restrains the wicked, does He not?

Hitler would have done far worse had the Lord not held him back...

Even if we say that He only touches the lives of the elect, it would necessitate control of the non-elect, as the actions of the non-elect can impact those of the elect in a physical way - is this then out of His domain? No.

I remember a Richard Bacon sermon on this where a farmer boasted to a believer that he never prayed or worshipped and his crops were the most prosperous in the county. The believer's reply: God doesn't settle accounts in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back