Does Paul know he will be released from prison in Philippians 1:18-26?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davenporter

Puritan Board Freshman
Exegetical question on Phil. 1:18b-26. Does Paul *infallibly* know that he will be released from prison to go see the Philippians again, or does he *personally believe* this?

v19 seems to reflect certainty of deliverance (salvation) in God's law court -- ultimate, eschatological salvation/vindication, not a mere earthly deliverance from the imperial law court. (cf. Job 13:16)
v20 seems to suggest the real possibility of both life or death -- his certainty is not life OR death, but Christ's exaltation
v22 expresses the conditional "if"

vv25-26 are what make this difficult. Paul seems to be convinced that it is "more necessary" to remain and continue in the flesh. At face value, it sounds like he is certain that he will continue. But is this simply Paul (infallibly) reporting his personal conviction or is he convinced of this from an infallible divine revelation?

I think O'Brien in the NIGTC suggested that verses 25-26 are conditional: "if" what is described in v22 takes place, and Paul lives on in the flesh, THEN his remaining would be FOR the sake of the edification of the Philippians.

Then v27 seems to suggest the alternative possibilities of Paul either coming or remaining absent.

But verses 25-26 are rather difficult. Is he simply saying that, given the choice, this is what he would *choose* (v22)--to continue with them? Or is he going beyond what he would *choose*, and saying that he infallibly knows this to be the case?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

In the present (his) moment Paul, while writing, clearly is not going out of the world; so just as clearly his remaining in the body is for the good of the Philippians--unto their "progress and joy." It makes sense for Paul to think (until shown otherwise) that present conditions and trends continuing, current needs growing, that one ordinary solution would be for Paul eventually to make his way back to them.

I think the tenor of the passage is hopeful, but not to the degree that evidently Paul infallibly knows he will fulfill a desired visit. Such an answer to prayer would be consistent with his confident assurance of ultimate deliverance; but not demanded. I don't suppose the Philippian readers/hearers took his statement as an unqualified prophecy. Paul first expresses to them the various uncertainties of his situation, which I find inconsistent with him concluding with a resolution that absolutely does away with all the foregoing and subsequent ambiguity.

I agree that the text could be interpreted as completely positive of having him visit them; but I conclude with those who recognize this read is not required from the text. :2cents:

I would take the view that the apostle himself was settled in his submission to the will of God. He could see advantages to either scenario, and had resolved what to do in either case, but recognised the choice was not his to make. His "dilemma" was not for himself but for the sake of bringing the Philippians around to the same point of submission.

Thanks, Rev. Winzer.

Having read through the epistle again with this in mind, I think it is further clarified by 2:17 -- "even" if Paul is to be "poured out as a drink offering". Paul expects that he will remain in the flesh, but there is a possibility of that not being the case. In 2:24 Paul expresses that he "trusts" that he will himself come, but, per 2:23, he must first "see how it will go with me".

So Paul certainly believes he will remain and continue, but, as you said, he has entrusted his circumstances fully to God's will, and, as you suggested, his "dilemma" is intended to teach the Philippians their proper response to Christ.

I tend to think deliverance is in the sight of God. "for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance," Paul expects victory, but I don't think he knows the terms of victory whether in this life or through death.

Paul hopes to send Timothy, the Epaphras but almost uses stronger language of trusting he will go
" I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also." It does sound more like an expectancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back