Does the bible permit birth control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanVos

Puritan Board Sophomore
Well, I wasn't really sure on this, so I asked the OPC. Here is what they said:

http://www.opc.org/cce/QandA/48.html#2

----------------

Q: What does the bible say about birth control? What does OPC believe?

A: The Bible says nothing about artificial methods for the reason that there were no artificial methods of birth control in biblical times. "Birth control" could apply to early abortion. Both the Bible and the OPC are dead opposed to abortion.

One form of birth control that should be rejected by Christians is the intra-uterine devices which dislodge a fertilized ovum. In other words, a mere ovum or sperm is not a person. But once conception has taken place, then there exists a living person created in the image of God. It is the OPC view that the life of an unborn child requires the same protections as a child or an adult! So that the use of any device or drug that destroys a living embryo violates the sixth Commandment.

Scripture forbidding abortion is not explicitly given, but murder is forbidden; and unborn children are real people. For these, read Psalm 139:12-16, and Luke 1:39-44.

As to artificial means of preventing conception, we have no help from Scripture. Genesis 38:6-10 is cited as avoiding conception, but the reason that God struck down Onan was for his refusal to raise up seed to his brother who died without an heir. The OPC does not have a declared position on conception prevention (other than abstinence). That doesn't mean that there is no concern over the issue, but, as I said, the Bible doesn't address artificial means of conception prevention because there were none in Bible times. I trust this answers your question. Please feel free to pursue the matter if I've been less than clear. (LE)

----------------

Their answer is good enough for me, until Pastor Way posts a message that makes me re-consider...

I'll probably side with Mr. Warren on this one. I agree with alot of his articles. I haven't read the one by Piper but I will tonight (when the kids are in bed). I can't really think of any biblical warrant for birth control.

Only as long as no-one is harmed, If no fertilization results from the union. Action taken to prevent unwanted children must be a good thing.
Paul speaks on the subject of sex in 1 Cor 7. He warns that most of us have sexual needs that need fulfilling, unfulfilled those needs become a weapon against us.
So abstinence is out for most of us!

I could put up with loads of kids so it was my wifes decision to stick to three. That's alright as well, there is always too many people in our house as it is.

A population explosion results in falling standards of health and law and order.

I see that Tony Warren might not agree with me, I shall try to read up on his article tomorrow, it looks facinating.

I agree with this statement:
It is the OPC view that the life of an unborn child requires the same protections as a child or an adult! So that the use of any device or drug that destroys a living embryo violates the sixth Commandment.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming, another question, does anyone know of a recorded debate within reformed circles on this issue?

VanVos

P.S. Was anyone else surprised to read what Luther and Clavin had said on this issue?

Martin Luther
"People who do not like children are swine, dunces, and blockheads, not worthy to be called men and women, because they despise the blessing of God, the Creator and Author of marriage"

John Calvin
"The voluntary spilling of semen outside of intercourse is a monstrous thing. Deliberately to withdraw from coitus in order that semen may fall on the ground is doubly monstrous. For this is to extinguish the hope of the race and to kill before he is born the hoped-for offspring."
"..birth control is the murder of future persons."

[quote:d5aa2742d1="VanVos"]P.S. Was anyone else surprised to read what Luther and Clavin had said on this issue?

Martin Luther
"People who do not like children are swine, dunces, and blockheads, not worthy to be called men and women, because they despise the blessing of God, the Creator and Author of marriage"

John Calvin
"The voluntary spilling of semen outside of intercourse is a monstrous thing. Deliberately to withdraw from coitus in order that semen may fall on the ground is doubly monstrous. For this is to extinguish the hope of the race and to kill before he is born the hoped-for offspring."
"..birth control is the murder of future persons."[/quote:d5aa2742d1]

Just as suprised as I am when I read the writings on many Puritians calling card playing and dancing the evil.

Jim

I knew the Calvin one, I read that last night.
Is Luther talking about birth control? I'm always grateful to God when I see great teachers err! The idea that we should look at other sinners and judge them worthless for any reason is foreign to me. But I have other problems. We are all sinners.

"..birth control is the murder of future persons."
Murder is the wrong word.
This really makes no sense to me. Looks like Calvin had a day off when he penned this.

The Lord has told us to "be fruitful and multiply." When/where has this command been rescinded? The Lord also tells us that children are a blessing. What believer wants to try and prevent God from blessing them?

I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say that it's "murder." I think it's a matter of not trusting God. Is God sovereign? Isn't he the one that creates the babe in the womb? I think it's sad that now children are somehow looked at like a disease that needs to be prevented or gotten rid of. We see this in the secular world with abortion. We also see it in the church to a lesser degree with the use of birth control.

The whole God is sovereign argument against conception preventive means of contraception is really just not satisfying at all. Sovereign over what? Sovereign over providing for a family with many children?

OF course God is sovereign, the question is: Isn't man responsible? We have options available to us that weren't available in Moses' day. We are responsible to be stewards over the options we have.

The principle of the creation mandate should be upheld. Children are a blessing. A married couple should not be centered on their own pleasures alone, but should if possible work towards the creation mandate. This does not mean that they should at some points in their family avoid conception. The "God is Sovereign" people I feel are belitlling stewardship responsibiltiy and promoting Christian risk taking. We are not called to let go and let God. We are called to be wise. Further the whole "God is Sovereign" argument for limitless conceptions is lacking in biblical support, with no clear argument from scripture against forms of contraception that prevent conception they are forced to resort to the accusation that the man who chooses the option has weak faith. While the let go and let God argument may have a warm place in Calvinistically inclined fundamentalism it does not have a place in a consistently biblical world view. We are called to be wise, upholding the principles of scripture concerning our money and our seed to the glory of God.

Certainly these measures of contraception should not be used as a license towards freedom from having kids. But when a man and wife have trouble with their finances in an economy and culture like our own, it would be intellectually rude I feel to assert one could be slighting God's sovereignty by holding off for a period from having children. Our covenant children are a gift from God, they're souls and bodies are knit in our mother's wombs. They must be cared for with a clear headed mind, something that a let go and let God theology endagers in many cases.

Good thoughts Ian I think I'm leaning more towards John Piper's position but the are still a few verse yet to be looked at. What are we to make of Paul's words in 1 Timothy when he exhorts the woman to bear children 1Ti 2:15,1Ti 5:14, do you think that these verses favor Tony Warren's position?

VanVos

Ian,

I must respectfully disagree.

I agree that we are to be good stewards of God's creation, and that includes our own finances; however, not having the financial resources to raise children in no way trumps God's command to be fruitful and multiply. I liken this to the man who has just enough gas to get to work on Monday, so he decides not to drive to Church on Sunday. He is trying to be a good steward of his money, but he is disobeying God's command to keep the Lord's Day.

You are right that man is responsible, but what is he responsible for? He is responsible to obey God. All issues relating to "how are we to obey God?" are secondary to actual obedience.

Another, not so theological point is this: If you are waiting until you are financially stable to have kids, let me tell you: you will never be financially stable enough. So, in one sense, you must trust God. He will provide for you and your family. This doesn't mean you sit on your rear all day, watching TV waiting for the checks to roll in. It does mean that you don't wait for God to give you a raise before obeying Him.

I suppose it can be summarized as this: Our obedience is not dependent upon God's blessings. God's blessings our dependent on our obedience (and of course, His mercy).

[quote:1f8b2b681a="Ianterrell"]The whole God is sovereign argument against conception preventive means of contraception is really just not satisfying at all. Sovereign over what? Sovereign over providing for a family with many children?

OF course God is sovereign, the question is: Isn't man responsible? We have options available to us that weren't available in Moses' day. We are responsible to be stewards over the options we have.

The principle of the creation mandate should be upheld. Children are a blessing. A married couple should not be centered on their own pleasures alone, but should if possible work towards the creation mandate. This does not mean that they should at some points in their family avoid conception. The "God is Sovereign" people I feel are belitlling stewardship responsibiltiy and promoting Christian risk taking. We are not called to let go and let God. We are called to be wise. Further the whole "God is Sovereign" argument for limitless conceptions is lacking in biblical support, with no clear argument from scripture against forms of contraception that prevent conception they are forced to resort to the accusation that the man who chooses the option has weak faith. While the let go and let God argument may have a warm place in Calvinistically inclined fundamentalism it does not have a place in a consistently biblical world view. We are called to be wise, upholding the principles of scripture concerning our money and our seed to the glory of God.

Certainly these measures of contraception should not be used as a license towards freedom from having kids. But when a man and wife have trouble with their finances in an economy and culture like our own, it would be intellectually rude I feel to assert one could be slighting God's sovereignty by holding off for a period from having children. Our covenant children are a gift from God, they're souls and bodies are knit in our mother's wombs. They must be cared for with a clear headed mind, something that a let go and let God theology endagers in many cases.[/quote:1f8b2b681a]
I think your picture here of the two sides of the debate is grossly over simplified. People who object to birth control do not simply "let go and let God." We are to be good stewards absolutely. But we are to be good stewards over all that God gives us, not just what we think we should be good stewards of. Children are something determined in God's secret will. When he gives them, and how many he gives us, should have no bearing on whether we will be good stewards. If you end up having multiple children and can't make ends meet but still desire to pursue other dreams, well then, guess what God has called you to be? He has called you to be a godly parent first. All other callings must submit to that. If God blesses you with tons of kids, then he has called you to parent those tons of kids first. We do the best we have with all that God gives us. Having lots of kids, no matter what the financial circumstances is not irresponsible so long as the parents are obeying and trusting God in all they do. Children are a blessing no matter what the circumstances. My :wr50:

I have no idea what God thinks of BC.

But I must say, my wife and I have been married for 15 years and have never used any type of birth control. We have only an ADOPTED daughter.

Can it not be argued that people have in fact been fruitful and multiplied?

The last time I checked the world population was still going up.

[quote:bdd695894b="humble_soul"]Can it not be argued that people have in fact been fruitful and multiplied?

The last time I checked the world population was still going up.[/quote:bdd695894b]

Yes, the world population continues to increase; however, God has not abridged his command.

And there is certainly still plently of room for more people!

The question is, how does this command actually apply? Are we supposed to try as hard as possible to have as many children as we possibly can without regard?

What about those who can not have children? Are they guilty of not multiplying? Is it the effort that counts?

I'm interested in hearing thoughts regarding the application of the command to be fruitful and multiply.

As to the original question of the thread, it surely should be admitted by everyone that the Bible does not actually "permit" birth control; there may be a question of whether it is prohibited or not, but it is surely not permitted or approved in any sense.

At any rate, I believe that the marital union and the conception of children are such profound and sacred matters that the proper question is not "Does the Bible forbit birth control?" but "Does the Bible anywhere affirmatively allow for birth control?" Without any Biblical warrant for proceeding with artificial birth control, I believe it should not be used by Christians.

In other words, the "default" position, absent clear Biblical texts about birth control, should surely be to not do that which is not explicitly authorised in so sacred a sphere.

Babies

Seems to me that children are the only blessing from God that people attempt to avoid . . .

Yours,
Bread

I've always gone along witht the idea of trusting God and keeping my powder dry.
It is not in keeping with our status to avoid decision making. Reason is a gift.

On the application, if we take this command literally, then we should bear in mind that Adam and Eve recieved this command. They should have complied with it. They failed.
In this sense the command 'fill the earth' is illogical and unreasonable when given to Adam and Eve.

Have we failed?
Is it to do with numbers or occupancy of the world?
Who decides that?

The strange thing is, is this a group law or are every married couple expected to fill the earth? If it is a group thing and some don't pull their weight then the group must sin. Strange idea but Israel did suffer this.

[quote:dd89844d01="twogunfighter"]Piper nailed this one. Fertility should be stewarded just like any other gift.[/quote:dd89844d01]
:ditto:

It's not about the money, and if you have the resources to care for X number of children, it is about good stewardship.
The analogy of the farmer in understanding what he could "subdue" rather than trying to farm more than he could handle, and the other point regarding the size of a man's quiver are what nailed it for me.

My wife and I; after much prayer, counsel, self examination, and examination of the Scriptures truly believe that we have a 3 arrow quiver. 3 children are what we can "subdue" based on what we know about ourselves. It's not about money for us, it's about stewardship of time, gifts, talents and everything else that God has given us.

For example which is easier A.) taking a family of 5 to a foreign mission field, or B.) taking a family of 8? Some can handle traveling, teaching, and funderaising for 8, but not me. I would not be a good steward of the other things that God has given me if we had 6 kids.

Marriage is a blessing as well, but are all people required to get married? The creation mandate requires marriage. So is it immoral to refrain from marriage, which keeps us from producing offspring? Or could it be that the creation mandate was a specific command for Adam and Eve that is not so rigidly applied now that the earth is populated?

Re: Babies

[quote:524a6a8aab="Breadloaf"]Seems to me that children are the only blessing from God that people attempt to avoid . . .

Yours,
Bread[/quote:524a6a8aab]

Actually no. People avoid God's gift to the church, shepherds; the gift of His word preached; the gift of His law; the gift of the Lord's Day, etc.

I could go on and on.

Another article about birth control:

http://home.att.net/~nathan.wilson/brthcntl.htm

Does anyone have any thoughts on this:

I'm sure others of you have noticed this to but I find it kind of interesting that in the beginning of the Old Testament, when people lived to be alot older than we do now, the child bearing age seems to be the same. I mean people lived to be like 900 years old but they didn't have 400 kids. It seems that the women went through "the change" about the same age as they do today. I don't know if this has any bearing on the birth control topic, I just find it interesting.

[quote:d6257ef857="Jie-Huli"]As to the original question of the thread, it surely should be admitted by everyone that the Bible does not actually "permit" birth control; there may be a question of whether it is prohibited or not, but it is surely not permitted or approved in any sense.

At any rate, I believe that the marital union and the conception of children are such profound and sacred matters that the proper question is not "Does the Bible forbit birth control?" but "Does the Bible anywhere affirmatively allow for birth control?" Without any Biblical warrant for proceeding with artificial birth control, I believe it should not be used by Christians.

In other words, the "default" position, absent clear Biblical texts about birth control, should surely be to not do that which is not explicitly authorised in so sacred a sphere.[/quote:d6257ef857]

You're applying the Regulative Principle to a matter of regular christian living. It shouldn't be used that way.

[quote:0490da3b67="sastark"]Ian,

I must respectfully disagree.

I agree that we are to be good stewards of God's creation, and that includes our own finances; however, not having the financial resources to raise children in no way trumps God's command to be fruitful and multiply. I liken this to the man who has just enough gas to get to work on Monday, so he decides not to drive to Church on Sunday. He is trying to be a good steward of his money, but he is disobeying God's command to keep the Lord's Day.

You are right that man is responsible, but what is he responsible for? He is responsible to obey God. All issues relating to "how are we to obey God?" are secondary to actual obedience.

[/quote:0490da3b67]

This is another problem with this position that I see. We aren't commanded to have kids until the well runs dry. Nothing in scripture attests to this.

[quote:f9699957a5="puritansailor"]
If you end up having multiple children and can't make ends meet but still desire to pursue other dreams, well then, guess what God has called you to be? He has called you to be a godly parent first. All other callings must submit to that. If God blesses you with tons of kids, then he has called you to parent those tons of kids first. We do the best we have with all that God gives us. Having lots of kids, no matter what the financial circumstances is not irresponsible so long as the parents are obeying and trusting God in all they do. Children are a blessing no matter what the circumstances. My :wr50:[/quote:f9699957a5]

Why does a couple that decides to stop having kids at no. 4-5 automatically have to be viewed as selfish or "baby-haters". I think this is an overreaction against liberal views of family. It is wrong to be self centered in family planning. It is awful that so many people view kids as a curse! But being a steward is a reality, it has real practical implications that have to be worked out. A wise steward will not simply roll with the punches, he will plan and attempt to really establish his family, and their families.

My comments and exegesis can be found here:

Birth Control I and Birth Control II and Birth Control III (on another forum)

The Scriptures prove without question that God causes conception and delivery. Only He can do this. If it is going to happen it is because He causes it. There are no accidents. So birth control is trying to prevent God from acting to bless us! WOW. We think we can or even should stop God from doing what only He can do? Really now, if trying to stop something that only God brings to pass is walking by faith, then perhaps the Arminians are right after all....we can tie God's hands behind His back! :no:

Phillip

I hope that my wife would not mind me sharing this, but in the beginning we did use birth control for the 1st year or so. Do I believe she could have become pregnant? Only if God wanted it to be so. We started to believe that it was unneccessary and would welcome children when God blessed. Three years later, He did. 19 months later than that, He did again. But, because of the difficulty of her last pregnancy, she had a tubal ligation. Are we kid haters? No. We made the decision then, that another pregnancy would be too risky. On top of that decision, we found out that because of my wife's physiology, it was nigh on impossible for her to have children. Well, God made it possible twice, and through wisdom, sovereignly saw to it that we did not have more than two.

I know that some would say that we made the decision, and we did. But God is sovereign. If He would have planned for us to have more children, we would have not performed the procedure. Besides, God has other ways of letting us have more children. If He wills, we'll have grandchildren. If He wills, we could certainly adopt children.

All that to say this: God makes babies, we do not. Whether birth control or no, if God wants babies, He'll work it out. Birth control is not impervious to His plan. So, my wife and I would say, place your children in God's hands and His timing. Changing your mind to believe that will bring you peace.

In Christ,

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back