Does the Gospel only have power from the mouth of a sent preacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augusta

Puritan Board Doctor
This might be a very stupid question but it has bugged me. Am I really to try as a lay person to spread the gospel. I want to talk to my sister about it but we are almost past talking and at this point I just pray for her. I got her to listen to a radio program recently also. Is evangelism by lay people effective. Is the "Gospel" the power unto salvation (1 Cor 1:18) from the lips of just anybody? I ask because of this passage.

Romans 10:14-17

14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
"How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!".... 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Must you be a "sent" preacher to have the gospel have any power when you tell it someone? Is the "evangel" the "Word" of God powerful now matter who is speaking it? I ask because it seems like the office of preacher and being ordained by a church body is very important to be a shepherd of God's people. Is it the same with evangelism?

I come from a church where Jo Schmo could take a few classes and be called a pastor. Since becoming OPC I am seeing a different kind of process. If someone would detail that process it would be very helpful. Don't they examine you and then you are ordained by a laying on of hands or something?

Am I qualified biblically to try to present the gospel to someone not just as a lay person but as a woman? Should I be encouraging people to attend my church in order to hear the gospel preached to them? Should my husband and I only minister to people as a couple with him leading the process?

I have become very aware of my place as a wife and mother. I am filling my head with tons of teaching which is very helpful for my own understanding. I don't expect to preach but just to have a ready answer if there is ever the need and to talk with my myriad of evangelical/pentecostal girlfriends. I know that the older women are to teach the younger but is that just in the sense of their place as women, wives, and mothers and such? Not deep theological questions?

Traci,

There are a lot of good questions here. This won't answer all of them, but I would encourage you to read Brian Schwertley's article on The Great Commission as well as this previous thread on the subject.

It the church not individuals which has been charged with the proclamation of the gospel and the authority of Christ with respect to the keys of the kingdom. The preaching of gospel carries with it authority which is tied to the ordination of ministers, which is why only ministers are to baptize, for example, and also hearkens to the issue of qualifications for the office including the inward and outward call, proper education, and all other qualifications, including being male (1 Cor. 11 and 14; 1 Tim. 2). It is thus not the job of laymen or laywomen to proclaim the gospel. I am aware that some will disagree but this is the historic Reformed understanding of the Great Commission.

That being said, every Christian (male or female, young or old, educated or illiterate) has a duty to give an answer for the hope that lies within. When called to testify to Christ in whatever circumstances we find ourselves we ought to give a faithful testimony. Moreover, we are called to live as salt and light so that others may see our good works and glorify our Father who is in Heaven. All of this is quite different from preaching the gospel.

I believe women in particular have an important place in the church as wives, mothers, sisters, daughters. But it is not to preach the gospel to the world, but rather to witness to the gospel through faithful living as Sarah obeyed her husband (Prov. 31; 1 Tim. 2; 1 Peter 3). There is hidden power in the witness of godly women ("the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world").

My grandmother witness to me for 7years, she would share Christ with everyone she knew... I believe God used her more than anyother person to influence and call me back. I was a prodigal son. To really make it interesting, my Grandmother loved Billy Graham and Hal Lindsey... HA While she is now with the Lord, I sure would get a kick if we could talk now, being how I am reformed etc.

I say that to encourage you by my testimony that you should share Christ, let your feet bring the good news! I was not saved by apologetics, but by the foolishness of the gospel from a Christ centered fearless 70 year old lady.

Thanks for the links Andrew. Didn't see that thread back then. I will definitely check out the Schwertley article too. :up:

[Edited on 6-15-2005 by Augusta]

I'm inclined to agree with Andrew. I don't know if it is because of my upbringing or not, but I see a lot of damage being done by having uneducated anybodys going around talking about the Bible, when they only know the 7 verses they memorized to "share the gospel" with people. :candle:

Having seen first hand the damage that is done by anyone and everyone believing they are to preach to everyone, and that without knowledge. :banghead: There was sooooo much error in my old church and floating around my social circle it is stupefying.
huh.gif
I am just grieved at the state of the church today. I am gonna burn the Schwertley sermon and listen in the car today.

[Edited on 6-15-2005 by Augusta]

I tend to agree with Andrew also, I didn't mean to imply or reduce preaching to how a lay person would share about Christ and the Word as a testimony and encouragement. I know there is a great difference. Nor do I like the idea of uneducated lay people being reckless w a shallow Arminian gospel or teaching in class setting, but I cant deny the reality that God used my grandmother in the way He did. Now my grandmother was not a garden variety Christian. She was a conservative Baptist and born again for 50 years... she knew scripture better than most people I know, she focused on repentance, turning from world lust and desire, faith in the work of Christ.. she held a strong view of depravity effects of sin. Maybe she is an exception to the rule. I certainly don't advocate a new believer street preaching or lay people expounding theological issues, but if someone is solid in foundation, working together with other members of church, or engaging in interpersonal relationship, I don't see a problem with encouragement and presenting at least what we may term "elements" of the gospel.

I should mention that my grandmother encouraged me to join a church, read scripture and find someone who was qualified to disciple me.

I know this is big issue in recent US history (surrounding the great awakenings etc...) but where not talking about sending untrained preachers into the west, we are talking about daily interactions w family/friends etc, and assuming the person sharing "gospel" or elements of it is seasoned.

it appears to be the general teaching office versus the special teaching office discussion.
i really like J.Frame's essay at:
http://reformedperspectives.org/newfiles/joh_frame/Frame.Ethics2005.WomenTeachingAdultSSClasses.doc

the source for the general office appears to be places like:

Every believer is commanded to be an apologist. In case you didn't know, here's your wake up call. Believers are commanded in 1 Peter 3:15:

But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. (1 Peter 3:14-16, ESV)

Peter, writing to believers under persecution for their faith, tells them to always be ready to give an apologia, that is, a well reasoned defense or answer, to anyone who asks the reason for the hope that lies within us.
from: http://www.theologicallycorrect.com/studycenter/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back