Does the Property of Existence Solely Belong to God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings in Christ our Wonderful Counselor and Savior,

I have thought for some time and this morning became enraptured before God's Throne with the idea that in God alone lies the property of self-existence. Am I correct Biblically that this is the truth? That every soul of man, yea, every molecule in all the universe is maintained in its very being moment by moment solely by the almighty and incomprehensible will and power of God? I think so. What is the answer?

As I meditate on the omnipresence of God, sometimes in the context of my sins of practical atheism, I often reflect on and quote the question below from Fisher's Catechism on God's omnipresence and power even in hell and that forever.

Westminster Shorter Catechism
Q. 4. What is God?
Under Fisher's sub-category -
of God's Infinity

Q. 40. How is he present in hell?
A. In a way of tremendous power and justice, upholding the damned in their being, that they may lie under the strokes of his vindictive wrath for evermore, Psalm 90:11; Matt. 25:46.

Have a blessed Lord His Day,

Ed

Am I correct Biblically that this is the truth? That every soul of man, yea, every molecule in all the universe is maintained in its very being moment by moment solely by the almighty and incomprehensible will and power of God?

Every entity is maintained in its existence by God, but they exist. The property of existence belongs to them, too. The property of self-existence, a different matter, belongs solely to God.

Every entity is maintained in its existence by God, but they exist. The property of existence belongs to them, too. The property of self-existence, a different matter, belongs solely to God.

This sound correct. We do exist. We are more than a mental construct of God. I mixed concepts when I used "existence" AND "self-existence." Right?

Last edited:
This sound correct. We do exist. We are more than a mental construct of God. I mixed concepts when used "existence" AND "self-existence." Right?

Yeah. Thomists like to say that in God essence and existence are the same. Despite sounding Thomist, that's a good way of putting it. I can exist but it is feasible that I also not exist. I can imagine a possible world where my essence isn't instantiated. I can't with God.

Within every being lies the potential to exist, but potentiality can only become actuality if acted upon by an outside force. God alone is pure actuality with no potentiality, therefore God is the cause of everything else that exists.

Yeah. Thomists like to say that in God essence and existence are the same. Despite sounding Thomist, that's a good way of putting it. I can exist but it is feasible that I also not exist. I can imagine a possible world where my essence isn't instantiated. I can't with God.

I guess what I was asking is better explained by several more of Fisher's Q & A's

The first one is again under the Shorter Catechism Q. 4, Sub-category, God's Power. Q. 89-90 is for context. The thought I am asking about is underlined in Q. 91.

Q. 89. In what does God manifest his infinite power?
A. In creation, providence, and redemption.

Q. 90. How is the power of God manifested in creation?
A. In calling “those things that be not as though they were,” Rom. 4:7; without the assistance or instrumentality of any whosoever, Isaiah 44:24.

Q. 91. How is it displayed in the conduct of providence?
A. In upholding and preserving all his creatures from sinking into their original nothing, Heb. 1:3; and, particularly, in protecting and defending his church, in midst of all the dangers and enemies, with which it is surrounded, Matt. 16:18.

And the same idea is expressed in sub-question 17., under WSC Q. 11. - What are God's works of providence.

Q. 17. What would be the consequence of God’s withholding from the creatures his preserving providence?
A. They would presently sink into their original nothing, Psalm 104:29 — “Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust.”
Is Fisher right? Or, is he saying too much? Or, am I misunderstanding Fisher? I have always considered that a rock—pick any rock or the entire universe for that matter—would instantly cease to exist if God, to use a figure of speech, so much as blinked. Right or wrong?

I don't mean to be dense. I am merely trying to improve upon my original question.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

I guess what I was asking is better explained by several more of Fisher's Q & A's

The first one is again under the Shorter Catechism Q. 4, Sub-category, God's Power. Q. 89-90 is for context. The thought I am asking about is underlined in Q. 91.

Q. 89. In what does God manifest his infinite power?
A. In creation, providence, and redemption.

Q. 90. How is the power of God manifested in creation?
A. In calling “those things that be not as though they were,” Rom. 4:7; without the assistance or instrumentality of any whosoever, Isaiah 44:24.

Q. 91. How is it displayed in the conduct of providence?
A. [you]In upholding and preserving all his creatures from sinking into their original nothing[/you], Heb. 1:3; and, particularly, in protecting and defending his church, in midst of all the dangers and enemies, with which it is surrounded, Matt. 16:18.

And the same idea is expressed in sub-question 17., under WSC Q. 11. - What are God's works of providence.

Q. 17. What would be the consequence of God’s withholding from the creatures his preserving providence?
A. They would presently [you]sink into their original nothing[/you], Psalm 104:29 — “Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust.”
Is Fisher right? Or, is he saying too much? Or, am I misunderstanding Fisher? I have always considered that a rock—pick any rock or the entire universe for that matter—would instantly cease to exist if God, to use a figure of speech, so much as blinked. Right or wrong?

I don't mean to be dense. I am merely trying to improve upon my original question.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

He's right. The Bible says God upholds all things by the word of his power. We just don't need to make the mistake Jonathan Edwards made in saying that God recreates everything each new moment.

He's right. The Bible says God upholds all things by the word of his power. We just don't need to make the mistake Jonathan Edwards made in saying that God recreates everything each new moment.

In my simple-minded way, I have often said that Creation is like turning on a flashlight, and Providence is keeping it on. Not at all meaning that the Creation is continuously being created.

In my simple-minded way, I have often said that Creation is like turning on a flashlight, and Providence is keeping it on. Not at all meaning that the Creation is continuously being created.

Or to press the metaphor further, Providence is like God keeping it plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back