Does the state in State-Church societies pay pastors' salaries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Not arguing pro or con, but this came up during the Greek debt crisis. The Greek state has paid the salaries of Orthodox priests, though not as much in recent years.

In a state-church setting, will the state pay pastors' salaries?

Will some portion of tithe money go to the state?

Will church attendance be mandatory?

If I understand your questions (and I'm not sure that I do), in Germany, one declares as either Catholic, Evangelical, or neither (I think some other groups have now been recognized, but I'd have to look that up). In general terms, if you declare as Catholic or Evangelical, you pay a special tax equal to about 8 or 9% of your income tax (which you also still have to pay in full), which is then forwarded to the designated denomination. If you declare that you are neither, you don't have to pay the tax. So you can significantly reduce your tax burden by declaring yourself an atheist. Of course, that will bring on additional issues.

You can start with this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax

If I understand you correctly. The people living in a state (with an established church) which do not attend the state church are required to pay a tax. The money from this tax is often given to the church by moving the money into the church's stipend account. Thereby paying the salaries of ministers.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Will church attendance be mandatory?

If the fourth commandment is to be obeyed by the nation, then, yes, it should be. And if church attendance is mandatory for all people in a nation, then all people should be compelled to contribute towards the maintenance of the gospel ministry (Galatians 6:6).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back