Does this PCUSA church look fine to you guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confessor

Puritan Board Senior
This First Presbyterian is immediately adjacent to my campus at Ohio Northern University, where I am going to be for the next six years. Seeing the long time I'm going to be there, I want to make sure that this church is solid.

I saw on the title page that "as Presbyterians, we are Reformed and Confessional." I just want to know if there are any churches that claim this that are actually much more liberal than it appears. I know of a PCUSA church near to my current residence that is fairly conservative, so I know it's possible. Of course, I am going to visit the church and see for myself if it's good, but any additional advice helps. Thank you.

This First Presbyterian is immediately adjacent to my campus at Ohio Northern University, where I am going to be for the next six years. Seeing the long time I'm going to be there, I want to make sure that this church is solid.

I saw on the title page that "as Presbyterians, we are Reformed and Confessional." I just want to know if there are any churches that claim this that are actually much more liberal than it appears. I know of a PCUSA church near to my current residence that is fairly conservative, so I know it's possible. Of course, I am going to visit the church and see for myself if it's good, but any additional advice helps. Thank you.

This church is affiliated with the Confessing Church Movement within the PCUSA. Here's the FAQ page from their website - a loose knit group of about 1,000 churches that seem to be "hold outs" seeking to reform the PCUSA to her previous orthodoxy. Here's an interesting statement from the Confessing Church website:

Q: What caused the Confessing Church Movement to happen?

A: The leadership of the PCUSA seems to be in sympathy with this drift away from Biblical standards and also seems to be encouraging it. There have been a complex of events within the Presbyterian Church (USA) that are exactly opposite to Scripture and the PCUSA's Book of Confessions. This includes the PCUSA's unstinting support by money and personnel, including staff, for the Re-imagining Conference in which the autonomous self was exalted, the transcendence of God was denied, and the atoning work of Jesus Christ was rejected; the refusal of leadership to deal with the heresy [embraced] last year at a denominational Peace Conference; and the most recent General Assembly's (213th) failure to clearly acknowledge Jesus Christ as universal Lord and Savior for all humankind; affirmation of homosexuality as a gift of God and homosexual behavior as a legitimate expression of human love; and, singularly, not adhering to the Bible which has been considered irrelevant in the context of modern culture and nature.​

Sounds like it might be worth looking in to, but very carefully with "USA" on the door.

Thanks for the links.

I realize that the PCUSA as a denomination is undergoing some problems (a severe understatement), but I also know that there are some more conservative ones, and I wanted to know if this could be one.

This church is affiliated with the Confessing Church Movement within the PCUSA. Here's the FAQ page from their website - a loose knit group of about 1,000 churches that seem to be "hold outs" seeking to reform the PCUSA to her previous orthodoxy. Here's an interesting statement from the Confessing Church website:

Q: What caused the Confessing Church Movement to happen?

A: The leadership of the PCUSA seems to be in sympathy with this drift away from Biblical standards and also seems to be encouraging it. There have been a complex of events within the Presbyterian Church (USA) that are exactly opposite to Scripture and the PCUSA's Book of Confessions. This includes the PCUSA's unstinting support by money and personnel, including staff, for the Re-imagining Conference in which the autonomous self was exalted, the transcendence of God was denied, and the atoning work of Jesus Christ was rejected; the refusal of leadership to deal with the heresy [embraced] last year at a denominational Peace Conference; and the most recent General Assembly's (213th) failure to clearly acknowledge Jesus Christ as universal Lord and Savior for all humankind; affirmation of homosexuality as a gift of God and homosexual behavior as a legitimate expression of human love; and, singularly, not adhering to the Bible which has been considered irrelevant in the context of modern culture and nature.​

Sounds like it might be worth looking in to, but very carefully with "USA" on the door.

Sorry that I never found that myself. I guess I should just improve on my research skills. Thank you though! This is very encouraging. I'll definitely talk to the pastor or elders about this when I attend there.

Sorry that I never found that myself. I guess I should just improve on my research skills. Thank you though! This is very encouraging. I'll definitely talk to the pastor or elders about this when I attend there.

No worries! I was not even aware of the Confessing Church Movement. Too often we hear only of the apostasy and liberalism of the PCUSA. And I have been shocked when I meet solidly Reformed guys who attend a PCUSA church. I can only assume their churches are affiliated with this group as well.

My church is part of the confessing movement as well. I am comfortable there but it can embarrassing to be affiliated with the denomination as it tumbles farther and farther into the secular sewer.

I would caution you to seek out all possible alternatives before considering a PCUSA church. I could not in good conscience put myself under the authority of that denomination.

There is an EPC church in Findlay (about 23 miles away) that might be a better option. Certainly it is a sounder denomination.

They celebrate Lent so how "confessional" can they be? Seriously, any truly conservative left eons ago from the PCUSA. See if they have women elders. If not, then they may be as good as some [broadly] evangelical PCA churches; but confessional? I think not.

I would recommend any PCUSA congregation that is a member of the Confessing Church Movement (CCM). The CCM is an organization of orthodox congregations that deny the heresies of the General Assembly. Many of the CCM congregations that I know have stopped supporting the denomination at the GA level. This congregation looks fine and I do not think you will have to worry about anything. You could certainly check out CCM's website to read about their vision and beliefs. I do not know the website address.

They celebrate Lent so how "confessional" can they be? Seriously, any truly conservative left eons ago from the PCUSA. See if they have women elders. If not, then they may be as good as some [broadly] evangelical PCA churches; but confessional? I think not.

I understand your point about Lent and would completely agree with you, but there are some PCA congregations that I would certainly question if they were confessional.

I think he was interested in this PCUSA congregation because it is so close to the campus, but I would agree that if you have an OPC, PCA, RCUS, & URC in the area I would first check them out. These may be too far from where he is.

I understand your point about Lent and would completely agree with you, but there are some PCA congregations that I would certainly question if they were confessional.
Truly; hence my reference to "broadly evangelical" PCA churches.;)

Personally, I'd find elsewhere to go. See this post from a Reformed Presbyterian Pastor, Bruce Buchanan, some time back: http://www.puritanboard.com/f47/confessing-church-movement-pcusa-15635/#post200909

:agree:

Rev. Buchanan's words are my sentiments exactly. I once was a member of a congregation that is now one of these Confessing Churches. The last I knew the women were basically running the show.

I was getting the Presbyterian Layman for years. These people are willing to go but so far, no farther. In my humble opinion it is too little too late.

Personally, I'd find elsewhere to go. See this post from a Reformed Presbyterian Pastor, Bruce Buchanan, some time back: http://www.puritanboard.com/f47/confessing-church-movement-pcusa-15635/#post200909

Rev. Buchanan's words are my sentiments exactly. I once was a member of a congregation that is now one of these Confessing Churches. The last I knew the women were basically running the show.

I was getting the Presbyterian Layman for years. These people are willing to go but so far, no farther. In my humble opinion it is too little too late.

The same could be said of the EPC, which was recommended on this thread.

and with the influx of PCUSA churches that will eventually head into the EPC, you'll see how conservative the PCUSA conservatives aren't.

Our denomination has a small Church out there in Belle Center; it's only 22 miles from the university and I'm sure transportation could be arranged for you if you were interested. Here's a link to the Church:

Belle Center, Ohio, Reformed Presbyterian Church

I know the Pastor there, he is an awesome guy and heckuva lot of fun to talk to about Presbyterian history. Could not recommend it highly enough.

I did not realize it was that close to ONU.

Don't be fooled by the idea that simply because a Church in the PCUSA calls itself part of the Confessing Church movement that it is remotely Reformed. There is a large Presbyterian Church in Salinas that I've visited:

fpc

Check this out: WhoWeAre

We are striving to become the kind of church described in the Bible -- a place where the focus is a growing personal relationship with Jesus; where there is practical Biblical teaching that applies to life; where there is dynamic and uplifting worship; and where there are practical programs for the needs of every age, for both singles and married. We are a large, growing church, and the benefit of that to you is that we are big enough for seekers to be inconspicuous among us and big enough to provide a vast array of specialized ministries for people, from children and youth to young marrieds and singles, empty nesters and the retired. Look inside this web site and I think you will find lots of programs that will help you grow spiritually and live more triumphantly! And despite being a large church, I think you will find such a friendly, united people, with so many different ministries and groups, that you will quickly make friends and feel part of the ''family". I hope so!

My niece was baptized in this Church and it has anything but a Presbyterian view of the Sacrament. At her baptism, the Pastor described the event as a promise to raise G-rated kids in an X-rated world. Later in the sermon, the Pastor described sin simply as a destructive influence in our life that God wants to repair.

Lights! Music! Action! That's how I would describe this Church's "Confessing Church". They're "excited" about Jesus the same way every seeker-sensitive Church is.

A view of the Gospels that reflects the depth of God's grace outlined in the Westminster Confession? Hardly.

For many of these Churches, being "Confessional" is not being liberal and still believing that Jesus loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life.

I had a little more time so I looked that the Beliefs of the Church on the website link you provided. In the small space they use to "boil down" what they think is most important they enumerate this about the Reformed tradition:
Related to this central affirmation of God’s sovereignty are other great themes of the Reformed tradition:

(1) The election of the people of God for service as well as for salvation;
(2) Covenant life marked by a disciplined concern for order in the church according to the Word of God;
(3) A faithful stewardship that shuns ostentation and seeks proper use of the gifts of God’s creation;
(4) The recognition of the human tendency to idolatry and tyranny, which calls the people of God to work for the transformation of society by seeking justice and living in obedience to the Word of God."

Important? Yes. Of primary importance? I worry that a Church that is of the Reformed tradition isn't really talking about the nature of the Gospel itself. they even put election unto service prior to salvation. Those four points would have me concerned that the imperative of the Christian life is emphasized to the point that the real nature of the Gospel is obscured. I don't want to immediately dismiss something on the basis that it mentions service but, especially in a world where you can't hear the News about what Christ has done much, to leave the true nature of the Gospel absent from a belief statement is really troubling to me.

Semper hit the nail on the head. One of the primary poblems with 90% of the churches in the PC(USA) is they have a very underdeveloped idea of sin, salvation, the cross, and the holiness and glory of God. They see the earth as the primary location of the Christian instead of the heavenly realm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back