Does winning the pennant mean a lot in baseball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellville

Puritan Board Junior
In hockey (NHL), if you win your conference you win either the Prince of Wales Trophy or the Clarence S. Campbell Bowl. However, these awards mean nothing to hockey fans and players as the Stanley Cup is really the only true ultimate prize in hockey. I was wondering if in baseball winning the pennant of your league really means much or is winning the World Series the only true award worth anything in baseball?

It has a little significance. They sell Central Division Champion or American League Champion shirts and pennants, for example. I still have the pennants from when the Indians won the AL in '95, but that was because it was the first time that happened in forty years. Ultimately it's the World Series that people remember.

It has a little significance. They sell Central Division Champion or American League Champion shirts and pennants, for example. I still have the pennants from when the Indians won the AL in '95, but that was because it was the first time that happened in forty years. Ultimately it's the World Series that people remember.
What he said..the Penant used to be more "respected"..now it seems that you have a lot of people who only care about the series.

I suppose in every sport winning the ultimate prize is the only one that matters. Consider all those races the Nascar drivers win. Only the Nextel Cup matters. All the golfers play in all those tournaments, but in reality it is the big 4 that matter. Who cares that the Buffalo Bills won the AFC championship 4 years in a row? They lost all four Super Bowls.

From yesteryear: "The Giants win the pennant!"

[video=youtube;lrI7dVj90zs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7dVj90zs[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back