Does your church sing Psalms?

Does your church sing the Psalms in public worship?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDM

Puritan Board Junior
I'd like to hear form all backgrounds and denominations (especially Baptist). In its sung Worship, does your church sing:

• SOME Psalms
  • NO Psalms
  • EXCLUSIVELY Psalms
I'd especially like to hear form "Worship Leaders", "Praise Band Leaders" (or members) and the like.

In Presbyterian circles, how many churches by percent, do you suppose, sing NO Psalms whatsoever? Basically, your typical evangelical menu of contemporary songs and a hymn book or sheet.

In Baptist circles, same question.

Curious: ever heard of ANY Arminian Baptist / Congregationalist / Non-Denomination churches singing the Psalms?

:detective:

I voted sometimes; in my old church we sang them exclusively but at my present church of the three songs sung there is usually at least 1 psalm, and often 2 or sometimes 3 for 3.

We do not sing Psalms as such ,we do have one or two responsive Psalter readings at each Communion. Grace and Peace.

I should have added when I mean "singing Psalms" I am referring to the 150 Psalms of David sung from a Psalter -- usually. It is not a Psalm if you mean a hymn from a [Trinity] hymnbook that has a verse or 2 from a Psalm of David.

Just the 150 Psalms of David.

Curious: ever heard of ANY Arminian Baptist / Congregationalist / Non-Denomination churches singing the Psalms?

I have never heard of any of the sort. Well, I have seen some that sing Psalm "paraphrases." :down:

The Psalms take too much away from the glory of man and ascribe true sovereignty to God; they would therefore not be welcome in an Arminian church. That is, of course, unless they're paraphrased and have certain parts removed.

Hello David. I voted that we do based upon the intent. I feel the intent of sung and responsive said Psalms are pretty much alike.:2cents:

I understand what you mean but for the purposes of this thread I am asking who sings the Psalms [of David].

So, to be accurate, you should be marked down as a "Never". Correct?

I should have added when I mean "singing Psalms" I am referring to the 150 Psalms of David sung from a Psalter -- usually. It is not a Psalm if you mean a hymn from a [Trinity] hymnbook that has a verse or 2 from a Psalm of David.

Just the 150 Psalms of David.

Are you saying that if you only sing part of a Psalm that it does not count? It is either all or nothing? Does anyone sing 119 in its entirety in one sitting?

I understand what you mean but for the purposes of this thread I am asking who sings the Psalms [of David].

So, to be accurate, you should be marked down as a "Never". Correct?
Very well, if you feel the chanted/responsive Psalter use does not qualify then put me down as no.

I have never heard of any of the sort. Well, I have seen some that sing Psalm "paraphrases." :down:

The Psalms take too much away from the glory of man and ascribe true sovereignty to God; they would therefore not be welcome in an Arminian church. That is, of course, unless they're paraphrased and have certain parts removed.

:agree: My curiosity sprung from a previous thread about one's sacramentology leading them to a warped soteriology. I find it fascinating (and unsurprising) that Arminian churches (from what I know) do not sing the Psalms. Maybe their view of man and sin has something to do with it? :detective:

The psalms we sing are shorter ones in full or psalm portions otherwise; and usually from anything but the 1650 Scottish Psalter:( (usually the 1912; when we have Watts I don't count that as a psalm and remain seated).

Are you saying that if you only sing part of a Psalm that it does not count? It is either all or nothing? Does anyone sing 119 in its entirety in one sitting?

No, I am not saying that.

Maybe you can post a one of these song's or hymn's lyrics with the verse from the Psalms in it and I can better clarify what I mean. I'll see what I can dig up . . .

Very well, if you feel the chanted/responsive Psalter use does not qualify then put me down as no.

Nothing wrong with chanting the Psalms. Curious: which Psalter do you use?

Maybe you can post a one of these song's or hymn's lyrics with the verse from the Psalms in it and I can better clarify what I mean. I'll see what I can dig up . . .

Ps 24:4,6
Ps 61:1-3
Ps 95:6,7
Ps 1:1,2

Just to name a few... Do these count?

No, I am not saying that.

Nothing wrong with chanting the Psalms. Curious: which Psalter do you use?
Psalter as found in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer.:up: I kick it old school.

Ps 24:4,6
Ps 61:1-3
Ps 95:6,7
Ps 1:1,2

Just to name a few... Do these count?

Are you saying during worship you sing these 2 (as an example) verses over and over again -- like a chant?
Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.​
Or do you simply sing the two verses one time and then it is over? Or are you singing an average length song/hymn that has these 2 verses included?

I'm thinking of a hymn out of the Trinity hymnal that you'd find a verse from the Psalms in it. Is this what you are talking about?

Yes, sort of, and standing up too. We sang the whole thing through 3 separate services in one Lord's day.

Actually, I thought it was a pretty good thing to do, but I doubt we will do it again.

Whew! Now I don't know how to answer. Technically, my church sings only psalms, and nothing else. But that includes the fact that we sing some of the songs found elsewhere in the Bible, as well as some composed hymns. So that's two different views right there. But, we also sing the 150 Psalms. But then, these are versifications, not right out of the Bible. So, in one respect, such as suggested in the OP, Chris, we don't sing any; while I would not say that our church sings anything else myself.

We mostly sing Psalms. This coming Sunday, for instance, we'll be singing:

Psalm 67, Psalm 15, Psalm 110 (part), Psalm 2, Psalm 21 (part), Psalm 148, Psalm 86 (part), Psalm 116 (part), and Psalm 91 (part).

The Church Order of the URCNA reads:

Article 39
The 150 Psalms shall have the principal place in the singing of the churches. Hymns which faithfully and fully reflect the teaching of the Scripture as expressed in the Three Forms of Unity may be sung, provided they are approved by the Consistory.

Since we have 5 songs in our liturgy I make sure at least 3 of them are Psalms. Therefore we are not exclusive psalmodists, nor exclusive hymnodists but we do sing the Psalms every Sunday (not 'sometimes' but every time we worship). Therefore I did not vote for any of the options.

If that were the case, Ken, our church could only seldomly sing Ps. 119. We share the building, and there are services every two hours, each of the two churches taking turns having two services; and switching times of service every three months. That means that only the church holding the last service of the day would have the time to sing Ps. 119. When it's our turn to have the last service, we'd better make the most of it, singing all the verses of Ps. 119 as often as we can for those times when we do not have the time to do so.

Actually, one of the churches tries to sing through all of Ps. 119 at least once a year, as she does for all the Psalms. Ps. 119 is kind of a benchmark Psalm for that, I take it.

I sing psalms exclusively.

I am not taking a position on exclusive psalmody, but only responding to the question. I will say that being introduced to the singing of psalms has changed my life and I feel no need to sing hymns.

If that were the case, Ken, our church could only seldomly sing Ps. 119. We share the building, and there are services every two hours, each of the two churches taking turns having two services; and switching times of service every three months. That means that only the church holding the last service of the day would have the time to sing Ps. 119. When it's our turn to have the last service, we'd better make the most of it, singing all the verses of Ps. 119 as often as we can for those times when we do not have the time to do so.

Since you did not use an emoticon it is hard to tell if you are serious...

Are you? :wow:

Since you did not use an emoticon it is hard to tell if you are serious...

Are you? :wow:

Yes, I am, sort of. I mean, it's all true. But we usually sing two or three verses of any one song. So it follows that we wouldn't sing all the 66 verses of Psalm 119 (as they are written in the Book of Praise) anyways. But I was just making the comment based on your comment about Ps. 119, which I took to be kind of tongue in cheek.

I used to know all the smilies, and could punch them in anytime. I've let that slip; and since I use the quick response box most of the time, the smilies aren't right at hand to add in. Sorry 'bout that. :p

We occasionally do, and I'm becoming more EP convinced (well, more in the fact that EP is very attractive to me; I'm sick of looking out for rubbish theology in the lyrics).

The Church Order of the URCNA reads:

Since we have 5 songs in our liturgy I make sure at least 3 of them are Psalms. Therefore we are not exclusive psalmodists, nor exclusive hymnodists but we do sing the Psalms every Sunday (not 'sometimes' but every time we worship). Therefore I did not vote for any of the options.

I suppose my answer should have been the same. I said "sometimes" because, although we sing psalms every Lord's Day, we sing hymns as well.

We occasionally do, and I'm becoming more EP convinced (well, more in the fact that EP is very attractive to me; I'm sick of looking out for rubbish theology in the lyrics).
Curious and not trying to hijack the thread why do so many find EP so attractive?:book2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back