Dominum only, not Dominium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Gillespie in his Assertion of the Government of the Church of Scotland writes the below. What exactly is the meaning; "old boss meet the new boss"?
It is further objected, that presbyterial government, and the authority of synods, do rob the congregations of their rights and liberties no less than the prelacy did; so that the churches of Christ in the removal of Episcopacy, have changed Dominum only, not Dominium.

It is just the use of the two words in the sentence in the OP. He's stating an objection which he then goes on to answer.

Alright, I found it myself as well. Okay. It seems like he wants to say that getting rid of the Episcopacy is like changing the dominus "Lord" (probably referring to giving power to Christ as Lord again instead of the Episcopacy in the place of Him), while still being under the "ownership, rule" dominium of Christ and therefore keeping their rights and liberties.

Alright, I found it myself as well. Okay. It seems like he wants to say that getting rid of the Episcopacy is like changing the dominus "Lord" (probably referring to giving power to Christ as Lord again instead of the Episcopacy in the place of Him), while still being under the "ownership, rule" dominium of Christ and therefore keeping their rights and liberties.
I think he's answering a congregationalist objection that Presbyterianism subjects the church to the lordship, 'dominium', of men just as much as Prelacy, it just exchanges one lord, 'dominus', the Prelates, for another, the Presbytery.

I think he's answering a congregationalist objection that Presbyterianism subjects the church to the lordship, 'dominium', of men just as much as Prelacy, it just exchanges one lord, 'dominus', the Prelates, for another, the Presbytery.
Yes; that's the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back