Don't know what to make of this. Seems like charismatic influences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
White House denies Bush God claim
President George W Bush
President Bush is said to have made the comments in 2003
The White House has dismissed as "absurd" allegations made in a BBC TV series that President Bush claimed God told him to invade Iraq.

"He's never made such comments," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

The comments were attributed to Mr Bush by the Palestinian negotiator Nabil Shaath in the upcoming TV series Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs.

Mr Shaath said that in a 2003 meeting with Mr Bush, the US president said he was "driven with a mission from God".

Holy war?

"President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan. And I did, and then God would tell me, George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq... And I did.

"'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East. And by God I'm gonna do it.'"

Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, who attended the meeting in June 2003 too, also appears on the documentary series to recount how Mr Bush told him: "I have a moral and religious obligation. So I will get you a Palestinian state."

The TV series charts recent attempts to bring peace to the Middle East, from former US President Bill Clinton's peace talks in 1999-2000 to Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza Strip this year.

It seeks to uncover what happened behind closed doors by speaking to presidents and prime ministers, along with their generals and ministers.

The BBC Two series, Israel and the Arabs: Elusive Peace will be broadcast on Mondays from 10 October at 2100 BST.

It sounds like a misunderstanding. I had a similar conversation once with a liberal atheist about Bush. I think Bush is refering to His calling to do the best at His job that he can, as all Christians are suppose to do, out of service to God. But if you're a liberal or in an anti-Christian religion, then you can't understand this concept. It is foreign, and they can only fit it into their mold of "mindless superstitious Crusaders" otherwise known as fundamentalist Christians.

I think he was trying to score points with the PLO, by invoking God in the Mideast Peace process for them to be more trustworthy of him.

He just didn't expect Abbas to sell him out. That being said, what Bush said strikes me as something I would see on TBN. It's a good thing it wasn't for us to sow a $1000 seed.

[Edited on 10-7-2005 by Slippery]

we would believe a Palestinian negotiator before believing the President of the United States.

That is insane.

:judge:

Originally posted by pastorway
we would believe a Palestinian negotiator before believing the President of the United States.

That is insane.

:judge:
I believe Bush said it, to garner there support and trust in the peace negotiations. Its just that these guys are untrustworthy, and they would casually spill out what you told them in confidence.

What's even more worse is that we have the statements isolated to make Bush look like a nut :D
Now Bush has to backtrack and deny to save face.

But he should have known that since he cut off ties with Arafat, that these people wouldn't be cozy around him.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Maybe this is why we need more Arabic translators. :candle:
those guys are a tight nit group. While doing graduate studies I had two classmates. One was from the West Bank, and the other from Egypt (his brother was offered the job). These guys were offered lots of money from the CIA and the FBI, and they all refused. This is why I am not surprised that the CIA and the FBI aren't fulfilling their quota.

This is all speculation at this point. In order to honor those in authority over us we should not be in effect gossiping about this. If we want to critique policies etc. I'm game...

"He who gives an answer before he hears, it is folly and shame to him.... He who pleads his cause first seems just, but his neighbor comes and searches him out" (Proverbs 18:13, 17).

"Go not hastily to strive, lest you know not what to do in the end thereof, when your neighbor has put you to shame. Debate your cause with your neighbor himself, and disclose not the secret of another, lest he who hears it revile thee and your infamy turn not away" (Proverbs 25:8-10).

"Brethren, even if a man be overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness.... Bear one another´s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:1-2).

You shall not go up and down as a talebearer among your people" (Leviticus 19:16).

"Who shall dwell with Jehovah?... He who slanders not with his tongue...nor takes up a reproach against his neighbor" (Psalm 15:3).

"And withal they learn also to be idle, going about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not" (1 Timothy 5:13).

"He who utters a slander is a fool" (Proverbs 10:18).

"The mouth of the wicked and the mouth of deceit have they opened against me.... They have compassed me about also with words of hatred and fought against me without a cause" (Psalm 109:2,3).

"Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking guile" (Psalm 34:13; 1 Peter 3:10).

"Let all bitterness...clamor and railing be put away from you, with all malice" (Ephesians 4:31).

"Put them in mind...to speak evil of no man, not to be contentious, to be gentle, showing all gentleness toward all men" (Titus 3:1-2).

[Whisperers and backbiters are condemned: Psalm 101:5; Romans 1:29,30; 2 Corinthians 12:20] "The north wind drives away rain, so does an angry countenance a backbiting tongue" (Proverbs 25:23).

If Pres. Bush were telling muslims that God gave him divine revelation wouldn't that be insulting to them as they only believe in one Prophet, Mohammad. They don't even believe we worship the same God do they? Not to mention that this would be revelation telling infidels to kill other muslims. :um:

[Edited on 10-7-2005 by Augusta]

Originally posted by Augusta
If Pres. Bush were telling muslims that God gave him divine revelation wouldn't that be insulting to them as they only believe in one Prophet, Mohammad.

[Edited on 10-7-2005 by Augusta]
True, but he was speaking to the moderate ecumenical types of Abbas and that King of Jordan. The westernized ones. Even Arafat I doubt was a radical muslim. I think its sad that they would casually spill something said in private to the media. Yikes. Bush should promptly cut funding to the PLO.

"They don't even believe we worship the same God do they?"

I believe the Koran says that Muslims, Christians, and Jews worship the same God. We just don't worship it the right way.

Originally posted by SRoper

I believe the Koran says that Muslims, Christians, and Jews worship the same God. We just don't worship it the right way.

If they don't worship the Triune God of the Bible, fully revealed in Jesus Christ who died a substitutionary death for sinners like you and I, they are worshipping AN IDOL.

And 1 Cor. 8 tells us behind every idol, there's a demon.

"God doesn't look at an idol and say 'Wow. Good try!'" - John MacArthur one day in last week.

Originally posted by OS_X
Originally posted by SRoper

If they don't worship the Triune God of the Bible, fully revealed in Jesus Christ who died a substitutionary death for sinners like you and I, they are worshipping AN IDOL.

And 1 Cor. 8 tells us behind every idol, there's a demon.

"God doesn't look at an idol and say 'Wow. Good try!'" - John MacArthur one day in last week.

:up:John MacArthur:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back