Don't Read if you want to remain a Baptist - George Walker, Westminster Divine on CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
The Manifold Wisdom of God Seen in Covenant Theology – by George Walker (1581-1651)

Whether you are looking to gather a better understand of the divine covenants, or you are seeking to fix the errors of dispensational theology, Walker has a wonderful work for you to study. But, don’t read this if you want to keep your dispensationalism! Walker thoroughly explains the agreement and differences in the covenants, and how God’s wisdom is seen in sending Christ, the Mediator of the covenant, for his people. This work on covenant theology demonstrates the great profit and benefit arising from the knowledge of the true difference between the Old and New Testaments seen in the Covenant of Works and the Covenant of Grace, or the Law and the Gospel. Walker masterfully unfolds the probation of man in the Covenant of Works, and shows the blessings and promises of the Covenant of Grace. He also expounds the agreement between the Covenant of Grace in the Gospel, and the mixed covenant which God made with Israel on Mount Horeb, by the ministry of Moses. Updated for easy reading.

This is a classic Westminsterian work by one of the Assembly divines.

ePub from the Puritan Shop, PDF, Mobi and ePub
The Manifold Wisdom of God Seen in Covenant Theology - by George Walker (1581-1651) | The Puritan Shop

Kindle Edition
The Manifold Wisdom of God Seen in Covenant Theology: George Walker: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Hardback Edition
The Manifold Wisdom of God Seen in Covenant Theology by George Walker (Hardcover)

View attachment 3015

Thank you for your labors Matthew

I'm really trying to focus in on the Westminster Puritans, and a couple of lesser known gems outside that time. Keep an eye out. I have some great works coming down the pike. This should be a good puritan publishing year.

This one by Walker is a home run. Its like reading the Westminster Confession - packed with meat - but just on Covenant Theology. I love these guys. They point us to Jesus Christ.

He also expounds the agreement between the Covenant of Grace in the Gospel, and the mixed covenant which God made with Israel on Mount Horeb, by the ministry of Moses.

The underlined part makes me wonder about some things. Especially in light of Chapter 7. 5,6.

I remained a Baptist for years because I viewed the Mosaic as a mixed Covenant and differing in substance from the New. I think the majority of the Divines probably disagreed with this as the Confession seems to indicate.

No, don't get tweaked by that. He's quite thorough and follows the confession. He means mixed with a side by side relationship; i.e. both being published at the same time.

No, don't get tweaked by that. He's quite thorough and follows the confession. He means mixed with a side by side relationship; i.e. both being published at the same time.

Yeah, that is what I understood it as Matt. That is exactly why I remained a Reformed Baptist for so many years. Rev. Winzer and I use to go back and forth on this matter. This sounds exactly like the Particular Baptist stance. Cameron, Bolton, and others held to this view in some form or another.

I'm misunderstanding you. Right now the Covenant of Works and the Covenant of Grace are currently published side by side. If you are in Adam, you fall under the condemnation of the CoW. If in Christ, under the CoG. I'm not sure why that would hold you in a Baptist position. Maybe, as I said, I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

He also expounds the agreement between the Covenant of Grace in the Gospel, and the mixed covenant which God made with Israel on Mount Horeb, by the ministry of Moses.

The underlined part makes me wonder about some things. Especially in light of Chapter 7. 5,6.

I remained a Baptist for years because I viewed the Mosaic as a mixed Covenant and differing in substance from the New. I think the majority of the Divines probably disagreed with this as the Confession seems to indicate.

I'm misunderstanding you. Right now the Covenant of Works and the Covenant of Grace are currently published side by side. If you are in Adam, you fall under the condemnation of the CoW. If in Christ, under the CoG. I'm not sure why that would hold you in a Baptist position. Maybe, as I said, I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

Reread my posts Matthew. I am addressing the Mosaic Covenant as being a mixed Covenant instead of it being purely an administration of the Covenant of Grace. I underlined what I had concerns with.

The more I think about Covenant Theology and the Baptist's position on "baptism" I start seeing the sense of it all. For instance, God never commanded the Jews to circumcise their males after they kept the law but on the eighth day. In the same way, I rely on God's promises that they are for my children too, and by faith I get my children baptised relying on God to keep His promise and not anything my children say or do.

Reread my posts Matthew. I am addressing the Mosaic Covenant as being a mixed Covenant instead of it being purely an administration of the Covenant of Grace. I underlined what I had concerns with.

Ah. I understand.

Here is Walker's conclusion, if this helps you with Law and Grace in the Mosiac covenant as he describes it -

"First, they agree in the main and principal end, namely the revelation of the glory of the goodness, justice, and mercy of God in man’s salvation; at this they both aim, and in this they both agree. Secondly, they both agree in this, that both of them do promise to us justification and salvation in Christ, and both require in us a continual endeavor to fulfill the whole Law, as near as we can every man in his own person. For although Christ is the end and fulfilling of the Law for righteousness to all true believers; yet after that we are justified by his righteousness, it is required in every one of us, that we should labor to avoid every sin against the Law, and do all holy duties which the Law requires, so far as we are able. This we promise in baptism; and whosoever willfully lives, and continues in any sin, and purposely abstains from good when occasion is offered, and omits holy duties which the law requires, as observing of the Sabbath, hearing of the word, and such like, we count him a carnal man, and he has no part as yet in the Covenant of Grace. For he that is justified, is also mortified, and sanctified, and cannot purposely continue in any sin of omission or commission."

Pretty straightforward Westminsterisms.

It is absolutely not this, "I remained a Baptist for years because I viewed the Mosaic as a mixed Covenant and differing in substance from the New."

This is exactly why books like this one, and Thomas Blake, and Witsius, are so important to study and read.

If I buy this book and read it and still remain a Baptist, do I get my money back? Seriously it does look like a good read, even if I might disagree with it. Rylan is busy at work transcribing and he is very excited to start putting money away for another mission trip next year. Thanks again for keeping him busy.

I don't think you'd "want" to get your money back! (hint hint).

Glad Rylan enjoys it. He is a blessing for helping. I would not be able to do much of the work I am doing without all their help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back