Don't smoke,drink alcohol,see movies,listen to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Ivan
Wine has medicinal qualities to it, including helping the heart function better. Maybe it has something to do with that. Paul told Timothy to have a little wine for his stomach's sake. Obviously, people in the past used wine for only purposes than just the pleasure of drinking.
I've heard the same is also true about regular grape juice. Is that true?

Andrew,
Thanks for the quotes and information about Calvin on this topic. 250 gallons/year? Its amazing that you can drink that much wine and still be drinking in moderation. That's like 2/3 of a gallon per day.

Originally posted by blhowes
Andrew,
Thanks for the quotes and information about Calvin on this topic. 250 gallons/year? Its amazing that you can drink that much wine and still be drinking in moderation. That's like 2/3 of a gallon per day.

Well, from our earlier discussion about how much beer the average 16th-17th century Englishman consumed (a gallon a day) and how much beer the Pilgrims brought with them on the Mayflower (they brought 42 tuns of beer [tun = 252 gallons], 10,000 gallons of wine, a minimum of 7,560 gallons of malt for brewing, and 14 tuns of fresh water -- not counting private supplies of the same -- and ran out of the beer before the water) I would not be surprised if Calvin personally drank every drop of wine that the Geneva Council paid him. However, it is also most likely that he entertained guests frequently and served wine upon such occasions. He was also married for a time, don't forget!

I think the value is in the skin.

The deep, beautiful purple-red color of red wine is produced by a substance called anthocyanin, which is found in the skin of the grape. Anthocyanin is one of the four main groups of chemicals that together are called flavonoids. Flavonoids are found in many plants and especially in deeply colored fruits and vegetables.

However, Dr. Ceriello also believes that the antioxidant power of flavonoid-rich foods such as red wine, apples, onions, green tea, and other deeply colored foods may protect against the causes of oxidative damage when they are consumed daily as part of a healthy lifestyle. Only future research will settle this matter for good.

You can read the article at

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0817/is_6_57/ai_n6019757

Actually, I kind of gotten where I don't watch most TV shows... I don't chalk up to my being ultra-sanctified with a halo over my head. I consider most stuff on the idiot box rather unprofitable and utterly stupid. I used to watch Comedy Central on occasion with friends and reflected how unedifying and foolish the bulk of the humor is on there.

Cigarette smoking to me is repugnant, and yeah our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. I have on occasion smoked a good cigar with a buddy, and won't goad someone for it, but very rarely. I kind of pity the sad state of people that have to go run and get drunk every weekend to feel that their week is somehow redeemed... the so called weekend warriors. I don't regret that I spend many nights reading rather than consuming large quantities of alcohol and killing brain cells with so called friends. I don't like the company one finds themself in-- typically when alcohol is consumed. However, I dislike seeing believers scold someone for drinking a measily beer.

Frankly, I do think the fundamentalist legalism is a bit asinine, but from my vantage point, libertinism and professed Christians who take the world into a gentle embrace is much more of a problem. Christian liberty is not a license to sin. It's a personal race, and I can only vouch for myself... I've done my share of stupid things.

Be Holy for I Am Holy

[Edited on 2-20-2005 by Puritanhead]

Recalling an incident with Spurgeon-- there was a pastor that was well esteemed in London community that Spurgeon would swap pulpits with and embraced as a good friend... one day he saw his pastor friend (name?) coming out of the theater and he scolded him, and eventually the scandal hit the press... when confronted about his penchant for cigar-smoking, he kind of "so-whatted" the whole affair and inquiries of his hypocrisy... only later was Spurgeon profoundly broken over the incident for his holding his brother in contempt.

[Edited on 2-21-2005 by Puritanhead]

I've actually had, and my wife, opportunities to witness because of the issue of beer and wine. They were actually kind of shocked to find out from me that the kingdom of heaven wasn't about eating or drinking as espoused by the “abstinence” and the “protect my witness” crowds who make it about eating and drinking.

When I was an unbeliever the thing that NEVER bore witness to Christ to me was professing Christians who abstained to “be a witness” to unbelievers. I’m not talking about drunkenness here. All it bore witness to ‘their religion’ was that they abstained from food or drink, but then again so did the Muslims and Mormons.

lh

Andrew,

Calvin had an excellent perspective on the use of wine. His salary in Geneva included 250 gallons of wine annually. Calvin wrote in the Institutes: "We are nowhere forbidden to laugh, or to be satisfied with food...or to be delighted with music, or to drink wine." Calvin says that the miracle at the wedding feast in Cana by our Lord resulted in the "most excellent wine." And "Calvin would spend his private moments on Lake Geneva and read scripture while drinking red wine"

Is that not paradise on earth?

Originally posted by joshua
Can you give me a source on that, please?

Sorry, if this is about Spurgeon incident, I heard it as a second-hand account from a pastor in the pulpit... I even tried looking it up on the Internet-- no luck...
:detective:

Originally posted by Draught Horse
And "Calvin would spend his private moments on Lake Geneva and read scripture while drinking red wine"

Is that not paradise on earth? [/quote]

Ugghhh... NO, I'm allergic to the sulfates in a lot of red wines, and they cause my throat to swell... if I drunk that kind of red wine continiously, I imagine I would die of asphyxiation as my windpipe closed... if I spent my days like Calvin than sooner or later they would find me in my boat with my hand grasping my throat and some fatalistic look of terror on my discolored, cold face in a puddle of red wine. So, no that is not my paradise idea.
:bigsmile:

Ugghhh... NO, I'm allergic to the sulfates in a lot of red wines, and they cause my throat to swell... if I drunk that kind of red wine continiously, I imagine I would die of asphyxiation as my windpipe closed... if I spent my days like Calvin than sooner or later they would find me in my boat with my hand grasping my throat and some fatalistic look of terror on my discolored, cold face in a puddle of red wine. So, no that is not my paradise idea.

My wife also has a (mild, compared to yours) reaction to the sulfites in red wine and she has found that it helps a bit to open the bottle and let it 'air' out a while before pouring in into a glass and drinking it. Since we drink it a room temp so this is no problem. This probably wouldn't help you, though.

Also there are red wines with no added sulfites, but you will find that they still have some natural sulfites in them.

That said, not drinking it is ok, too.

Andrew,

Calvin had an excellent perspective on the use of wine. His salary in Geneva included 250 gallons of wine annually. Calvin wrote in the Institutes: "We are nowhere forbidden to laugh, or to be satisfied with food...or to be delighted with music, or to drink wine." Calvin says that the miracle at the wedding feast in Cana by our Lord resulted in the "most excellent wine." And "Calvin would spend his private moments on Lake Geneva and read scripture while drinking red wine"

Yes! :up:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Andrew,

Wondering what Calvin's favorite wine was...:detective:

Andrew,

Wondering what Calvin's favorite wine was...:detective:

Mogen-David or Boone's Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back