Doug Wilson's pamphlet on slavery criticized

Status
Not open for further replies.
headshake.gif
@ some of you actually defending southern slavery or the 'softening' of how horrid the institution of slavery here in the US really was.

Ridiculous.

Originally posted by OS_X
headshake.gif
@ some of you actually defending southern slavery or the 'softening' of how horrid the institution of slavery here in the US really was.

Ridiculous.

Is this a complaint or a detailed argument?

CT,

That is a very good quote. I agree with it wholeheartedly. Ian, MDB, and others know that I am very committed to history, in fact a history major. So I understand what you guys are saying and I agree with you. These things do need to be researched and considered. I am not questioning that; I am questioning the researcher and whether it is one of his responsibilities as a pastor of a congregation.

With regards to the rest of the thread...I'm not sure why some Christians defend the chattel nature of American slavery. While there were many respectable slave owners who treated their slaves with dignity, being bought and sold as pieces of property on account of their skin color is certainly a grievous sin against anyone crafted in the image of God. Regardless of X treating his slaves nicely or Y treating them horribly, race-based family-destroying chattel slavery is wrong.

At the same time, I consider myself to be in more agreement with the Southern culture. The waves of the French Revolution definitely found the Northern Shores. I think it a states right to secede from an unfaithful partner in a union, after reconciliation has been tried. But every nation has their foul traits.

[Edited on 12-12-2004 by FrozenChosen]

Man-stealing is wrong. Slavery is only right if practiced biblically, just like sex. Southern Slavery was practiced for the most part un-biblically. Should the US be invaded by Canada because of abortion?

The main problem with any argument over the issue of slavery is the natural tendency to get over-emotional about your side.

And.......:ditto:

To what LawrenceU said.

What about the white slavery that existed in the colonies and the good ol' USofA. Some of my Scottish forbears were here as slaves; sold by Lord Donald when the price of wool made it unprofitable. That along with a cowing to the Crown of England to 'cleanse the highlands'? No one really gets all that worked up about that.

Originally posted by LawrenceU
What about the white slavery that existed in the colonies and the good ol' USofA. Some of my Scottish forbears were here as slaves; sold by Lord Donald when the price of wool made it unprofitable. That along with a cowing to the Crown of England to 'cleanse the highlands'? No one really gets all that worked up about that.

I do. Along with the abuse that my forebearers received as "wops" and "polacks." Sin is rampant. Like Paul says, no one seeks God...

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Originally posted by OS_X
headshake.gif

Ridiculous.

Is this a complaint or a detailed argument?

Is that a stupid comment from someone being purposely insensitive to his African-American brethren since it's GARBAGE like this that continually puts a wedge between African-American and European-American believers or is it just phrased to appear like one ?

Here's a hint: this is where that 'if eating meat offends my brother' thing comes in.

This thread is done. Perhaps rather than worry about whether Wilson or Wilkins is right on this tangential issue, we should focus on the more significant issues related to justification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back