Douglas J. Moo : 3 books on Romans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
I saw the next 3 books and commentaries on Romans by Douglas J. Moo.
Are these al 3 worthy to buy, or do some contains almost the same ?

Douglas J. Moo
EBS: Romans
A Theological Survey
Amazon.com: Encountering Book of Romans: A Theological Survey (Encountering Biblical Studies): Douglas J. Moo: Books

Douglas J. Moo
NICNT: Romans
Amazon.com: The Epistle to the Romans (New International Commentary on the New Testament): Douglas J. Moo: Books

Douglas J. Moo
NIVAC 30: Romans
Amazon.com: Romans: The Niv Application Commentary: From Biblical Text to Contemporary Life: Douglas J. Moo: Books

They are gradated in difficulty and scholarly coverage. The survey is the least technical, and also the least substantive. The NIVAC commentary is great for most laymen and the less educated pastors. For educated pastors, the NICNT volume is a must. The survey might be useful in any case, but there is certainly no need to buy both commentaries.

They are gradated in difficulty and scholarly coverage. The survey is the least technical, and also the least substantive. The NIVAC commentary is great for most laymen and the less educated pastors. For educated pastors, the NICNT volume is a must. The survey might be useful in any case, but there is certainly no need to buy both commentaries.

Thanks brother for your information!
Do you think it would be good to have NICNT & NIVAC both ?
Is it not that NICNT is more techical & that NIVAC is more a practical and application ?

Mooo's NICNT commentary has been hailed as "best in breed" among Romans commentaries in English. While there are many very good works on Romans, probably none represents such a complete one-stop-shopping experience as Moo.

As for the NIVAC, that is a matter of taste. The series was designed to proffer homiletical suggestions to preachers and to stimulate application. I own the series on CDROM (my preference in media), but would never claim it as my favorite commentary series.

Mooo's NICNT commentary has been hailed as "best in breed" among Romans commentaries in English. While there are many very good works on Romans, probably none represents such a complete one-stop-shopping experience as Moo.

As for the NIVAC, that is a matter of taste. The series was designed to proffer homiletical suggestions to preachers and to stimulate application. I own the series on CDROM (my preference in media), but would never claim it as my favorite commentary series.

Thank
you!

Mooo's NICNT commentary has been hailed as \"best in breed\" among Romans commentaries in English. While there are many very good works on Romans, probably none represents such a complete one-stop-shopping experience as Moo.

I have this commentary, and I use it like this. It's very helpful, with some key discussions that he works out in it (i.e. what does the phrase "righteousness of God" mean? - he's very helpful here). My only objection to his commentary is that he doesn't take Romans 7 to be the personal, post-conversion experience of Paul. Many godly men have taken this road in the past, and I still respect their opinion, but I think they're dead wrong in their assessment. I've heard, but not done the reading, that Tom Schreiner's commentary on Romans is the best one could get. (Amazon.com: Romans (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament): Thomas R. Schreiner: Books). He dedicates the book to John Piper - can't be a bad thing! That said, Moo extensively sites Piper through his discussion of Romans 9, which is very helpful.

If you're looking for a technical commentary, Moo's NICNT Romans commentary will be helpful. Just take note that it's a heavily technical commentary - you won't find as much devotional comments in it as you would Calvin or Henry. But I think the book will help equip you to get the straight teaching of the text more clearly, which would then prompt you to do your own devotional remarks and thoughts that are exegetically sound!

I hope this helps,
~Jacob

Schreiner is also an excellent commentary. However, in the commentary itself, he denies imputation in justification (a position he reversed later on in his Pauline theology book).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back