Doxology

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick

Puritan Board Freshman
My family and I used to sing the "Doxology" (Praise God from whom all blessings flow...) after praying for a meal and before eating. I'd like to find something similar from the Psalter. Anyone sing a little diddy with their family regularly?

18 Now blessèd be the Lord our God,
the God of Israel,
For he alone doth wondrous works,
in glory that excel.

19 And blessèd be his glorious name
to all eternity:
The whole earth let his glory fill.
Amen, so let it be.

(Psalm 72:18-19)

Or, if you wanted to do a complete Psalm, Psalm 117 could work well:

1 O give ye praise unto the Lord,
all nations that be;
Likewise, ye people all, accord
his name to magnify.

2 For great to us-ward ever are
his loving-kindnesses:
His truth endures for evermore.
The Lord O do ye bless.

Nick, I'm assuming you already know that the Doxology is sung to the tune Old 100th, which is used for Psalm 100 in your Comprehensive Psalter. There's even an alternative version in the back that is timed the way the tune is typically timed when churches sing the Doxology.

The lyrics to the Doxology were actually written by a strongly anti-Reformed guy. It is interesting to me that somewhere along the line, many Reformed churches adopted the practice of singing one of our old psalm tunes to his lyrics instead of Psalm 100 for which the tune got its name.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

18 Now blessèd be the Lord our God,
the God of Israel,
For he alone doth wondrous works,
in glory that excel.

19 And blessèd be his glorious name
to all eternity:
The whole earth let his glory fill.
Amen, so let it be.

(Psalm 72:18-19)

Ah, an excellent chioce that's often sung around our dinner table! (though I admit we will sing non-Psalms too)

Ah, an excellent chioce that's often sung around our dinner table! (though I admit we will sing non-Psalms too)

I don't mind singing the Doxology at the dinner table, I've just noticed as we sing the Psalms more and more at church, the Doxology has drifted from use outside of church. (We used to sing it from time to time at a New Calvinism Baptist Church and weekly at my old PCA church)

Nick, I'm assuming you already know that the Doxology is sung to the tune Old 100th, which is used for Psalm 100 in your Comprehensive Psalter. There's even an alternative version in the back that is timed the way the tune is typically timed when churches sing the Doxology.

That I did not know. I'm going to go look it up now.

The lyrics to the Doxology were actually written by a strongly anti-Reformed guy. It is interesting to me that somewhere along the line, many Reformed churches adopted the practice of singing one of our old psalm tunes to his lyrics instead of Psalm 100 for which the tune got its name.

I also did not know that. Yikes. I've found this to be true with some other tunes I was fond of before going EP.

Jake - appreciate both recommendations. Thank you!

Really like Psalm 100 (mp3).

1All people that on earth do dwell, Sing to the Lord with cheerful voice.
2 Him serve with mirth, his praise forth tell, Come ye before him and rejoice.

3 Know that the Lord is God indeed; Without our aid he did us make:
We are his flock, he doth us feed, And for his sheep he doth us take.

4 O enter then his gates with praise, Approach with joy his courts unto:
Praise, laud, and bless his name always, For it is seemly so to do.

5 For why? the Lord our God is good, His mercy is for ever sure;
His truth at all times firmly stood, And shall from age to age endure.

We'll probably start singing verses 1 & 2 for now (I have young kids). Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back