Dr. Clyde Wilson's Unfair Description

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
I am currently reading "Understanding the War Between the States" by numerous authors, although one of the most prominent is Dr. Clyde Wilson of the University of South Carolina. I have enjoyed much of what I have read of Dr. Wilson but this following paragraph from chapter 2 of the book rubbed me the wrong way.

"A vivid illustration of the difference in ways of life and attitudes between Massachusetts and Virginia is given by two diaries from the late 1600s and early 1700s. Cotton Mather was a leading clergyman, scholar, and influential man in MA. William Byrd II was a large landowner and prominent man in VA. Both were born in America of English parents and both kept diaries of their life. Mather’s diary is about how God is either constantly favouring him or thwarting him, but at any rate minutely concerned with him, about the lack of appreciation for his books and sermons, about the evil doings of other people. It is a depressing read – the record of a selfrighteous man with no affection for or real interest in other people. Byrd’s diary records his prayers and studies, but it also presents a lively social life, a strong interest in other folks and in nature, a sense of humour about himself and the world, and even admissions of his own sins and shortcomings. It is a delightful read."

I have not read either set of diaries but I did some amateur research into Mr. Byrd's diary. Here is an especially notable entry (contains an offensive term).

[October] "6. I rose at 6 o'clock and said my prayers and ate milk for breakfast. Then I proceeded to Williamsburg, where I found all well. I went to the capitol where I sent for the wench to clean my room and when I came I kissed her and felt her, for which God forgive me ... About 10 o'clock I went to my lodgings. I had good health but wicked thoughts, God forgive me."

Mr. Wilson believes entries like these fall into a sense of humour, or a lively social life. I find it disgusting. Being a Presbyterian and a Southerner puts me in a unique position. It seems some Southern historians have a disdain for Puritanism in general. This is not the first time I have encountered anti-Puritan sentiments.

I don't know whether or not Prof. Wilson considers himself to be a Christian. Like so many Southerners in the so-called "Bible Belt" who assume heaven is their birthright, perhaps he'd better examine himself.

If he identifies in some sense with the "Cavalier" Episcopalian tradition (as Richard Weaver did, even though he wasn't a church member) then it isn't surprising that he'd make such a statement.

Last edited:
As far as I know he does consider himself one, but I believe he is a theistic evolutionist. I certainly don't utilize him for theological analysis.

I am currently reading "Understanding the War Between the States" by numerous authors, although one of the most prominent is Dr. Clyde Wilson of the University of South Carolina. I have enjoyed much of what I have read of Dr. Wilson but this following paragraph from chapter 2 of the book rubbed me the wrong way.

"A vivid illustration of the difference in ways of life and attitudes between Massachusetts and Virginia is given by two diaries from the late 1600s and early 1700s. Cotton Mather was a leading clergyman, scholar, and influential man in MA. William Byrd II was a large landowner and prominent man in VA. Both were born in America of English parents and both kept diaries of their life. Mather’s diary is about how God is either constantly favouring him or thwarting him, but at any rate minutely concerned with him, about the lack of appreciation for his books and sermons, about the evil doings of other people. It is a depressing read – the record of a selfrighteous man with no affection for or real interest in other people. Byrd’s diary records his prayers and studies, but it also presents a lively social life, a strong interest in other folks and in nature, a sense of humour about himself and the world, and even admissions of his own sins and shortcomings. It is a delightful read."

I have not read either set of diaries but I did some amateur research into Mr. Byrd's diary. Here is an especially notable entry (contains an offensive term).

[October] "6. I rose at 6 o'clock and said my prayers and ate milk for breakfast. Then I proceeded to Williamsburg, where I found all well. I went to the capitol where I sent for the wench to clean my room and when I came I kissed her and felt her, for which God forgive me ... About 10 o'clock I went to my lodgings. I had good health but wicked thoughts, God forgive me."

Mr. Wilson believes entries like these fall into a sense of humour, or a lively social life. I find it disgusting. Being a Presbyterian and a Southerner puts me in a unique position. It seems some Southern historians have a disdain for Puritanism in general. This is not the first time I have encountered anti-Puritan sentiments.
The worldly hate nothing so much as a conscientious Christian and find nothing so delightful as a frivolous professor. The latter being seen as "real" and "authentic," while the former is labeled "self-righteous" and "hypocritical."

There are moments when New England Puritans got overly introspective and their theology did get certainly wrong (halfway-covenant). There are also aspects where Americana was perhaps baptized heathen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back