Dr. Grant Horner's Bible-Reading System

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I'll be finishing a two-year Bible-reading plan on 12/31/10. Then, I plan to start Dr. Horner's Bible-reading system (10 chapters a day!) on 1/1/11.

Anyone else?

I've been using Dr Horner's plan since August 4th and plan to continue on as I like it very much.

My wife and I both just finished reading it chronologically this year (finished a few days early) and plan to start Dr. Horner's plan at the first of the year.

For people who have used this reading plan, how is it reading from 10 different places at once every day? It would seem like the reading would be too varied and you wouldn't retain as much. (I do recall that the plan is about repetition, so over time you will be able to retain more as you repeat the list's over and over). Would it be better to read 10 chapters from the same book one day, and then 10 more the next day. That would seem like you aren't splitting up the book and drawing it out over a month. At the same time, the varied approach is supposed to be 'scripture interpreting scripture' in action. For those who have used Dr. Horner's plan, how has it been in the long run compared to another plan?

I started the Horner plan last August and I liked it very much. Ten chapters a day is good solid fare and I loved the way the passages comment on each other in unpredictable but illuminating ways. However one big effect I found was that my appetite for the word increased with increased intake, so now instead I'm starting a straight read-through, aiming to finish in 4 months (that was Austin's idea for a goal).
I would still recommend the Horner way to anyone looking for a scheme of that kind - it's the best one I've come across

Been using it through the year. I've modified it slightly, and used only a few tracts in it for a couple months now with the baby here, but plan on getting "back into the saddle" this January.

Day 26 for me using Horner's plan, and I find myself looking forward to "seeing what happens" in the next chapter in just about all 10 sections. I pick them right up the next day. Depending on the length of the chapters I am probably averaging about 30-minutes a day now. He recommends you read at a quick pace, not skimming it, but not trying to take in every detail, either. I am really enjoying it in the early going.

I started it and ended up doing 6 reading's a day or 60 chapters. I also changed it around and put Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, instead of reading Acts.

I was thinking of trying it on the Kindle.

Anyone planning on using the KJV for the 400 anniversary in 2011?

As a couple posters have said, the Horner plan is eminently tweak-able, something Horner himself endorses. Also, since it isn't tied to the calendar, you can start anytime you want (I'm starting New Year's Day just out of convenience). The big thing, though, is that, since the lists are not the same length, you will never read the same ten chapters twice once you get deep enough into it. Hence, the interesting juxtapositions of passages people are constantly commenting about. One thing I see a lot, tweaking-wise, is that a lot of people will substitute Romans for Acts (10th list), since many want to be able to concentrate (though not in too much detail, remember!) on that book.

Horner developed this Bible-reading system in 1983, and has used it himself since then. People must really like it, because the system's Facebook page has more than 10,000 members!

Now: how many people keep track of their reading using bookmarks, and how many are using journals or some other system? I think some enterprising person created an Excel program for keeping track.

Anyone planning on using the KJV for the 400 anniversary in 2011?
yes, me, but it's not a big deal because I never use anything else anyway :)
Our Queen's Christmas message to the nation was about the anniversary of the Authorised Version. (The press reported it was all about sport. I wonder why?? She did bring that in, but the main theme was the Bible)

Now: how many people keep track of their reading using bookmarks, and how many are using journals or some other system? I think some enterprising person created an Excel program for keeping track.

I check off my daily reading on Bible Study Tools Online, Verses, 40+ Versions, Commentaries, Concordances. There are 1-2 others that will allow you to do that, I hear. I was thinking about the bookmarks, but I don't typically haul my large study Bible on trips, etc., preferring a thinline. That way I can just log on whereever I am and keep track if I forget where I left off.

I created an Excel program for the Horner Plan. If someone wants it I can post it on the net and give the link.

Here are the files for the Horner reading plan in Excel. I have included both formats of Microsoft Excel (2003 and 2010). I constructed the plan around a "morning" and "evening" structure. You can customize it as you see fit.

2003 format

2010 format

Let me know if you have questions about it.

Thank you.

I've noticed many people modify the plan so that list 10 includes Romans as well. I think I'm going to do the same.

Here are the files for the Horner reading plan in Excel. I have included both formats of Microsoft Excel (2003 and 2010). I constructed the plan around a "morning" and "evening" structure. You can customize it as you see fit.

2003 format

2010 format

Is this some unique form of Excel? I can't get it to open .

For those who use the system, do you read am and pm or in one sitting?

Depends on the day, really, for me. Some days (mostly Saturday mornings) I can read it all in one sitting. Some days I read 3 or 4 parts at a time in 3 or even 4 sittings. I usually try for no more than 2 sittings, though, if I can.

I modified my list to 13. I am reading three times a day. At first I thought keeping track would be a problem but not at all. What I do when I'm done is write out a one sentence summary of each chapter. I can pretty much do it in the order of the books from memory. I didn't think I'd like this but once I started and gave it a chance I don't see myself going back to the regular reading plans.

2003 format

2010 format

Is this some unique form of Excel? I can't get it to open .

For whatever reason I could not get the 2010 file to open, but the 2003 worked fine.

I have been using the Discipleship Journal reading plan the last two years but back in september I started the Horner plan. I have tweaked it a bit and do twelve readings with adding Hebrews (which I wanted to understand more) and Romans ( No explanation necessary). I find, as others have said, I have no problem keeping track of where I am and actually find myself getting ancy about reading the next day. I read all of it at once, almost always in the early morning. I spend about 45-60 min reading. I think this is a plan I will always stick with and tweak it through the years. I would encourage everyone to at least try it out.

Well, I started the Horner system today. At the end of the month, I'll let you know what I think.

Also, I found an interview with Horner somewhere on the web where he says that, when he developed this system in 1983, he adapted it from a Bible-reading scheme he found - in a Chick Tract, of all places!

This morning is day two for the Horner system. What I like so far is the anticipation I have when approaching the scriptures this way. Day one I did all the readings in the morning. It helps being shut down from work right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back