Dr. Hawes and Mackinosh on Baptists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner

Puritan Board Freshman
Whoever properly estimates the doctrines and practices of the Baptists , must allot them a place among the faithful , notwithstanding their views on baptism . In all other things they are united with their reforming brethren . They are exemplary in their zeal for the salvation of souls , and exhibit respectable specimens of those who follow Christ as their example .

That was Hawes. Now for Mackintosh.

These suffered more than any other persuasion under Charles 2 .

[quote:898f155bdb="Learner"]These suffered more than any other persuasion under Charles 2 .[/quote:898f155bdb]

More than the Scottish Covenanters?

More than the French Huguenots? (8000 slaughtered on St. Bartholomew's day; 30000 in all). I wonder how much the Dutch Calvinists suffered? I remember reading in Justo Gonzalez of a quote from a Dutch Calvinist to a Spanish soldier. It went something like this, "I will cut off my left arm and eat it so that I may have the strength to fight you with my right arm."

I am not downplaying the courage of Baptists in history, just pointing out hte exploits of others...

Well , the Covenanters resisted with arms and violence , whereas Baptists did not put up a fight . And I am not confusing Anabaptists with Baptists , although they too did not fight those who did harm ( including death ) to them .

There are, of course, different ways to measure which group of Christians suffered the most - whether under King Charles II or in other contexts throughout history (I believe around 100,000 French Huguenots perished in the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre and who knows how many Christians died in Rome or in the gulags). But, as I recall, around 18,000 Scottish Covenanters were slaughtered during the Killing Times, which included the reigns of Charles II and James II. That figure does not address all the Presbyterians and Puritans who were ejected from the pulpits both in Scotland and England, or the individuals and familes who suffered deprivation of property, banishment, slavery and other punishments for their adherence to the Covenants. No doubt Baptists suffered too as well as other groups of Dissenters, but I do believe that Presbyterians bore the brunt of Charles' wrath, in particular because it was the Presbyterians who brought him to power under the condition that he sign the Covenants, which was humiliating to him and which he only did with duplicity and malice aforethought. Nevertheless, regardless of which group experienced the most suffering, King Charles II has much to answer for in the day of judgment for his crimes against God's people. I would also note that the resistance offered by the Covenanters to Charles' tyranny does not lessen the awfulness of his crimes. They were upholding the Sixth Commandment while he was violating it.

I would have resisted with arms and violence as well. It comes down to the question, "Is there a law above the law?" Is my resisting the intrusion upon property from a bandit by force sinful, even if I have to do it with arms? No, I maintain that it would be blessed by God for I would be obeying the commandment, THou Shalt not kill (protect life by lawful means). Now apply that to the government. Read Jock Purves's Fair [i:ab41ba05af]Sunshine[/i:ab41ba05af] and the story of RIchard Cameron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back