Drawing two buckets from the well of salvation (Daniel Featley)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Below is an extract from Daniel Featley's speech before the Westminster Assembly in defence of the imputation of the whole obedience of Christ (active and passive):

I profess, for my own part, I had rather draw more out of this well [of salvation] then less: they who are only for the imputation of Christ’s passive obedience, seem to me to draw but one bucket’s full but they who are for the imputation of both [active and passive obedience], two. The former draw from thence only, pretium redemptionis, the price of our ransom; the other, meritum aeternae vitae, the merit of eternal life.

Daniel Featley, Sacra nemesis, The Levite’s scourge, or, Mercurius disciplined. Also diverse remarkable disputes and resolved in the Assembly of Divines related, episcopacy asserted, truth righted, innocency vindicated against detraction (Oxford: Leonard Lichfield, 1644), p. 23.

On the same subject:

[T]he blood & death of Christ are taken by a Synecdoche, for his entire obedience, it being the coronis and crown of all; or that salvation and life is attributed to it, because it merited for us the imputation of Christ’s active obedience also.

Daniel Featley, Sacra nemesis, The Levite’s scourge, or, Mercurius disciplined. Also diverse remarkable disputes and resolved in the Assembly of Divines related, episcopacy asserted, truth righted, innocency vindicated against detraction (Oxford: Leonard Lichfield, 1644), p. 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back