Dreamgirls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Sonya and I really enjoyed this movie. We bought the soundtrack. It has some of the best music of any film in recent memory - incredible vocals with soul as well as some really funky riffs.

The musical is an adaptation on the develop of Motown Music. Jennifer Hudson is phenomenal in this movie as a great vocalist who is, nevertheless, "heavy" and not suitable to be the lead anymore for a group that is clearly supposed to be the Supremes. Beyonce Knowles gives a believable performance as a "Diana Ross" type but I like her much more than the real thing. Eddie Murphy plays a "James Brown" type - his vocals and performances are incredible. Jamie Foxx gives a great performance as an ambitious man trying to put Black artists on the charts but, in the process, "loses his soul..." so to speak.

There are performances in this that are simply breathtaking and heart wrenching. I cannot say enough about Jennifer Hudson - she clearly deserved the Oscar.

There is some blasphemy and some inappropriate scenes as well as some adultery but, overall, this movie is really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back