Dress code in church

Status
Not open for further replies.
The logical chapter for this is CHAPTER XXI Of Religious Worship and the Sabbath-day and it is silent on this, as is Scriptue. There might be something in the Directory of Publik Worship.

When one is going before the King of Kings in worship, shouldn't their dress be at least as good as they would wear before an earthly king?

When one is going before the King of Kings in worship, shouldn't their dress be at least as good as they would wear before an earthly king?

Pretty much the argument I have been making.

Thanks!

Well, I am debating with some people about how a situation of improper dress should be handled.

For example, a female comes to service in a small, short, sun dress that is somewhat provocotive. In fact, the pastor can see her underpants from the pulpit because she is sitting in the front row!

Those I am debating with think you should allow the woman to adapt to her surroundings and change on her own. I believe she should be lovingly confronted.

Originally posted by jfschultz
The logical chapter for this is CHAPTER XXI Of Religious Worship and the Sabbath-day and it is silent on this, as is Scriptue. There might be something in the Directory of Publik Worship.

I agree and disagree. Let's also remember that God looks not on the outward man, but on the inward heart.

Not saying there is anything wrong with dressing nicely. I'm just equally saying, there is nothing wrong with jeans and a t-shirt as long as your heart is right with God.

I personally think that we should all dress in plain black attire so that we look like we're at a funeral, er, I mean, so that we all look respectful and dignified.

Of course such a person should be confronted. She needs to be taught her responsiblity to dress modestly and to seek to dress in such a way as not to provide too easy an opportunity for men to lust.
But that doesn't mean that we post a dress code on the door saying that you aren't welcome if your colors are a little too bright, or if your skirt is a half inch too short or if your wingtips aren't shiny enough, etc.

:ditto:

I didn't see that post before I started typing mine. But here it is anyway, though it says basically the same thing:

I agree that it's the heart that is important, not the appearance--hence jeans and a T-shirt are okay (or, should be). However, I admit it was pretty amusing when an elderly lady came to church wearing a tube top! Of course nobody said anything because it was the middle of summer and she did it because we don't have air conditioning. Sorry, this is getting a bit nuanced. My point is, provacative dress IS bad when it's meant to be provacative--especially if it's distracting. There's a problem when we can't concentrate on God because of what someone is wearing, or when we dress in a disrespectful manner. That is to say, when the clothing isn't doing its job of covering, such as when underwear shows.

[Edited on 29-11-2004 by Cottonball]

Originally posted by houseparent
Well, I am debating with some people about how a situation of improper dress should be handled.

For example, a female comes to service in a small, short, sun dress that is somewhat provocotive. In fact, the pastor can see her underpants from the pulpit because she is sitting in the front row!

Those I am debating with think you should allow the woman to adapt to her surroundings and change on her own. I believe she should be lovingly confronted.

Well, the specifics of confrontation and the specifics of what constitutes proper dress I will leave to others, but the Westminster Larger Catechism in Q. 139 does specifically prohibit "immodest apparel." She certainly needs to be taught not only how to dress in public, but how to dress appropriate to the public worship of God. Modest apparel is the bare minimum (so to speak) that should be acceptable in church.

Adam,

Sorry, I didn't see your specific example before I posted. Yes, the woman should be lovingly confronted. I didn't mean to advocate immodest dress. I was only trying to say that a tuxedo is not required.

Adam,

The young lady should be admonished to dress appropriately. I think about going to church in a similiar way to seeing the President (or the Queen). I would never go there is jeans and a t-shirt, nor will I go before the throne of the Lord of Lords in that type of clothing.

Matthew,

I can understand, and even appreciate, your desire to dress as you would for the President or Queen, when you attend worship. But how important is what you are wearing to God? If all of our works are as filthly rags, then does it really matter if we put on better rags on Sunday monring than on Friday afternoon?

I'm not trying to convict you for dressing nicely for church. I'm only trying to get a point across that what we wear certainly doesn't matter to God.

(by the way - this post should be qualified by my previous post where I stated that I do not advocate immodest dress in church or anywhere else, for that matter.)

so what about believers in third world contries that only own one pair of clothing? Can they wear those "everyday" work clothes to church??

Getting all dressed up for church makes it look like we are in God's presence there at church, but no where else through the week.

He is everywhere and will never leave or forsake us. Should we then require dressing our "best" everyday?

Phillip

PS - of course we should expect modesty at ALL times too, not just in church.....

[Edited on 11-30-04 by pastorway]

Originally posted by pastorway
so what about believers in third world contries that only own one pair of clothing? Can they wear those "everyday" work clothes to church??

Getting all dressed up for church makes it look like we are in God's presence there at church, but no where else through the week.

He is everywhere and will never leave or forsake us. Should we then require dressing our "best" everyday?

Phillip

:amen:

My Sunday Best is my weekly best. I don't even own a suit.

Phillip,
I believe the premise is that people would not go to dinner with G. Bush in jeans and a tattered t-shirt with Metalica on the front, but they seem to believe that it is fit for the king of Kings........If one is able to keep themselves properly, they should make the effort; it's not a bad witness to maintain one's personal things.

[Edited on 11-30-2004 by Scott Bushey]

I must admit, I don't get dressed up all fancy for God but I do get dressed up fancy. We are filthy little sea slugs before God BUT....

I dress up out of respect for the expectations of others and if I had to come up with a proof text (or pretext) it would be the exhortation that, 'as much as it depends on you, live at peace with one another'. I worship with some wonderful ladies and gentlemen who have certain expectations. I dress in a manner worthy of them so that I may add to their worship celebration and not detract from it. I have nothing to prove with the way I dress so I will follow the path of least resistance. When I go to a business or a restaurant people are expected to dress a certain way. The way one dresses sends scads of unspoken messages to the folks around. I will not use my liberty to provoke others or to confuse my testimony with non essential issues.

Someone imodestly dressed in the worship service ought to be confronted, but lovingly and gently by an older woman or man.

I guess I'm saying that we should dress as nicely as we are able as a spiritual service of worship to God and as a service of encourament to other.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Phillip,
I believe the premise is that people would not go to dinner with G. Bush in jeans and a tattered t[shirt with Metalica on the front, but they seem to believe that it is fit for the king of Kings........

Some folks get married in a tux. Does that have implications for Sunday attire?

If all I owned was jeans and a tee shirt and the President wanted to meet me I am sure he would understand.

We are to give honor to whom it is due - if that means wearing a suit when meeting the President of the United States then so be it. But that does not mean that God finds our wordhip unacceptable if we are wearing "plain" clothes on Sunday.

Worship is about the heart attitude. A proper heart attitude will show in how we present ourselves. But nice clothes on the outside do not conceal a hardened selfish heart on the inside when we come to worship the Lord.

Beyond the expectation of modesty I think placeing requirements for dress upon people to come to church is beyond the scope and intent of Scripture and tends to list toward legalism - I dress nice so God must approve of me and my offering of praise and worship. Spirit and Truth are required. Suits and ties are not.

That is all I am saying.

We tend to be so materialistic and tend to look so HARD at the outside (and judge from that instead of esteeming ALL others as better than ourselves) that we forget that God simply does not care how we dress when we enter boldy to the Throne of Grace. Do you ever pray or sing praises in bed - wearing only pajamas?? Or while in the shower.......WHAT, entering God's presence with NO clothing at all??

We are coming dressed in the blood of His Son, and that is enough.

Phillip

The thing with me is I HATE to dress up. I have a 19" neck and a 49" chest. Try finding a dress shirt to fit those measurements! I own ONE dress shirt that allows me to button it at the neck! I have never learned to tie a tie and I am soon going to be 35 years old!

However, when I go to worship, I just have a desire to try and look my best. Not to please man or myself, not even to please the Lord. But to honor Him by dressing as if what I am going to do is very important and worthy of such efforts.

Before I came to the doctrines of grace I felt the opposite and often went to services in jeans and t-shirts, motor cycle boots and all. I could still do that and not feel like I was letting God down in any way, but I would feel like I could do better for what I was partaking of.

I dunno, does that make any sense?

I repeat, "If one is able....." This means, if one has the means to dress, dress. If one does not, don't. It is not that the wearing of jeans or dirty clothes is not acceptable, it is the lackadaisical attitude when coming before the God of creation when one has the means to present himself with vigor with that God has given the man.

[Edited on 11-30-2004 by Scott Bushey]

Ack, people have to stop posting at the same time as me! That's it, I'm always quoting when I use the ditto emoticon!

[Edited on 30-11-2004 by Cottonball]

Originally posted by houseparent
it is the lackadaisical attitude when coming before the God of creation when one has the means to present himself with vigor with that God has given the man.

AMEN!!:handshake:

Ok I sort of agree with that--it's definitely right to make an effort for God. But I don't think that the effort really has to regard clothing. Anyway, it's a social standard we've created that suits are better than jeans. Maybe God prefers jeans! They're definitely more comfortable, so that at least in the service, people can pay more attention rather than shifting and fidgeting in uncomfortable meaningless fancy clothes. But more likely, God doesn't care! If He did care, there would probably be something about it in the Bible.

I generally don't dress up in more than a decent polo or button down shirt and nice slacks...

Last night, I wore a sweater and jeans to church.

I think some good guidlines for dress would be modesty, clothes that aren't distracting (i.e. clothing with large printed words,pictures,loud screaming colors). We are there to worship God, not dawn our new Sunday threads.

[Edited on 30-11-2004 by Craig]

Originally posted by Craig
I generally don't dress up in more than a decent polo or button down shirt and nice slacks...

Last night, I wore a sweater and jeans to church.

I think some good guidlines for dress would be modesty clothes that aren't distracting (i.e. clothing with large printed words,pictures,loud screaming colors). We are there to worship God, not dawn our new Sunday threads.

:ditto:

our new Sunday threads.. hahaha :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back