Dress code in church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modesty is important. I was attending a Wednesday night service and a good looking girl friend (not girlfriend) of mine came and sat near me, dressed in a t-shirt and short shorts. I was distracted, and my attention was focused on trying to control myself from lusting/looking rather than what my pastor was preaching. Is it my duty to keep my eyes to myself? Certainly yes, but why should I have to worry about that in church?

Personally, I dress nicely (a suit and tie) because the way I dress usually reflects my attitude toward the situation.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. I'm sure everyone on this board has specific clothes for every area of life, such as work, athletics, sleep, recreation, etc. Why should church be taken differently? Dress is cultural, and we show reverence both for God and his elect when we dress differently for church than we would for other areas of life. Would anyone here mow the lawn or do their gardening in a suit? Of course not, because that attire isn't appropriate for that situation.

[Edited on 30-11-2004 by Authorised]

Last night, I wore a sweater and jeans to church.

That's pretty much me. I have ragged looking jeans and nice black jeans that I wear to church. I never wear a t-shirt to church. Usually a nice pair of black jeans and sweater or button down shirt. Nothing fancy but different from my everyday clothing.

As for the women, I think they should all dress like the Amish.:D

Aaron,
that's not a bad way to think about dressing for church. I understand.

However, many wear suits everyday to work...it's really no different than any other day of the week when some wear suits Sunday for worship. I could explain my logic and I'm sure you'd agree with me, too. I wear a suit each day to work, I don't want to even think about work when in church, and a suit would distract me. So often we bring up "well, we dress up for weddings, we dress up for important people we may have dinner with" and the reason we do these things isn't purely out of reverence...we want to be noticed. We don't want to be the only ones looking shabby at a wedding...also, that's a great time to pick up Christian ladies! These occasions may call for formal dress as these are part of the very "ceremony" of these situations...with worship, the central parts of worship relate to Word and Sacrament: anything that distracts from these ought to be avoided. If we focus too much on our appearance wouldn't we be like Martha, concerning herself merely with outward acts of worship when we ought to be more like Mary (John 12)? I'm not saying we dress down purposefully as this is the exact same extreme of always trying to distinguish oneself by dressing up: one has exchanged the "piety" of formal dress for the "pious" appearance of trying to look disheveled an "Oh I'm so holy I don't have time to tie my shoes and chose sandals instead"...and I think most of us can picture these people who spend hours trying to look like "they just don't care".

I guess I'm just saying, simple guidlines are the best: don't distract others with your dress...and don't distract yourself with your dress!

I'm a biker. I hang out with bikers.

Church%20Vest_pes.jpg

Actually, I think I've seen some men wearing leather vests like that in churches...they're usually located downtown, and are liberal :banana:

Originally posted by Craig
Actually, I think I've seen some men wearing leather vests like that in churches...they're usually located downtown, and are liberal :banana:

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, and they like to sing songs like:
Macho Man
YMCA
Anything by Bette Midler &/or Barbara Streisand

It's all about heart attitude.

We meet in a rented space and have no control over the thermostat. That means it can get really warm in the summer and really cold in the winter.

As for our dress code - we tell people to dress comfortably for church.

Phillip

[Edited on 11-30-04 by pastorway]

Originally posted by sastark
Originally posted by jfschultz
The logical chapter for this is CHAPTER XXI Of Religious Worship and the Sabbath-day and it is silent on this, as is Scriptue. There might be something in the Directory of Publik Worship.

When one is going before the King of Kings in worship, shouldn't their dress be at least as good as they would wear before an earthly king?

I agree and disagree. Let's also remember that God looks not on the outward man, but on the inward heart.

Not saying there is anything wrong with dressing nicely. I'm just equally saying, there is nothing wrong with jeans and a t-shirt as long as your heart is right with God.

What one wears is a matter that they decided so to some extent is a reflection of the inward heart. Though just because one dresses nicely does not mean that their heart is right. But if one shows respect by dressing nicely for an "earthly king" (whether of royalty or of elected position) then turns around and doesn't care how they dress for God is saying He is due less respect than a man.

Isn't dressing down for church something that has become common as our view of God has declined?

Isn't dressing down for church something that has become common as our view of God has declined?
Yes...and NO.

The best dressed people can be found at the liberal churches.

Again: The issue is NOT how dapper we look; as I believe we don't dress up primarily to show respect for anyone: it is either to be noticed, or to blend in with the surrounding ceremonies...the central part of the worship of God is not how you or I dress (though we can take away from worship if we decide to dress in distracting clothing): The ministry of Word and Sacrament are central.

I may love my wife a lot...in fact, I do...she really, really loves it when I wear cologne...whenever we go out, I try to wear it: shall I wear that cologne as a fragrant offering to God on Sunday? Honestly, that sounds ridiculous...why? That's not what worship is about.

[Edited on 30-11-2004 by Craig]

When I was in my 20's I use to go to a Reformed Presbyterian Church that was steeped in Bill Gothard. So I use to wear my bib- cover-alls since everyone else was wearing suits and ties. I felt sorry if any people were visiting and saw all those stuffy whitie tighties staring at them because they were wearing golf shirts or even worse....T-shirts. Kick the loose women out if they violate a strong repromand Adam!!!!!:lol:

:banana::banana::banana:

Randy

We're missing the point. As I said, if one has the means to 'keep' themselves, at the level God has allowed, they should. Please ask yourself: If you were invited to a formal event at the white house, how would you dress? Not in jeans and a t-shirt, I promise you.

My opinion, This is true.

Much borders upon our culture; I agree. Here in Florida we are 'casual'. Bahama shorts and pullover is the norm. In Great Britain, it is much different. However, we should with vigor, dress ourselves for when we meet the king. It shows one's heart, preparing! None of us, on our first date with our wives would have went un-kept. How much more when we meet with the groom!

[Edited on 11-30-2004 by Scott Bushey]

My peave is with the people that dress down in order to make a point that God accepts us as we are. Please, let's have only sermon per service.

What irks me

What gets my goat are all the stupid fathers, some just may be ignorant, that allow their daughters to wear tight fitting tops and skirts, well let's just say that I wash my car with more material than that which covers them.

What are they thinking? Who has their daughter's hearts?

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
We're missing the point. As I said, if one has the means to 'keep' themselves, at the level God has allowed, they should. Please ask yourself: If you were invited to a formal event at the white house, how would you dress? Not in jeans and a t-shirt, I promise you.

This is very true Scott. I find the idea that someone who would not wear jeans to a formal meeting or State dinner at the White House with the President would wear jeans and a "nice" t-shirt to come before the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. In worship we are ushered into the very throne room of God. Do we show proper reverence and awe before the most Holy God when we show up in less than our best? This idea that what we wear to church doesn't matter because it may or may not reflect our "heart" is a load of garbage!!! When I see those who have been called out of sin and darkness and into the Kingdom of Christ, called to be saints, respond to the high privilege of worship wearing jeans and a polo shirt, all it says is "I don't want to wear a suit and tie because its uncomfortable for MEEEE !" I wonder how uncomfortable Christ was up on the cross?

My dear friend was reading this thread and emailed me to share an anecdote regarding a recent church visit.

I was invited to preach at a Baptist church in the area. I invited my friends, Gerry and Deb. It is their practice to dress comfortably for worship, crispily ironed shirts and clean, fresh blue jeans. It was a country church with a very humble budget.

One of the deacons met my friends not long after they came in the door and explained to them that the church offers a food pantry if ever they find themselves coming up short during the month.

My friends asked me if there was something about them that said, "We need help?" We had a good laugh.

I guess that just reinforces the fact that how we dress sends messages beyond our intent or control.

Originally posted by jfschultz
But if one shows respect by dressing nicely for an "earthly king" (whether of royalty or of elected position) then turns around and doesn't care how they dress for God is saying He is due less respect than a man.

I 100% disagree. And here's why: Earthly kings expect and require OUTWARD respect. If I were to meet the President of the Untied States, of course I would run down to Macy's and buy a suit (since I don't own one now). Our Heavenly Father, however, requires INWARD respect. Does this translate into outward forms? Yes! Which is why I said we should dress modestly. And that's where I stop, becuase that's where Scripture stops. What indication do we have that Paul had a "Sunday-go-to-meeting" Robe? I can find no evidence in Scripture of this.

[Edited on 30-11-2004 by sastark]

[Edited on 30-11-2004 by sastark]

I usually wear slacks with a polo type shirt. When I help with communion or lead scripture reading / corporate prayer then I will wear a suit and tie.

We have Sunday night service every other Sunday and I wear nice looking jeans and a polo type shirt.

Originally posted by wsw201
When I see those who have been called out of sin and darkness and into the Kingdom of Christ, called to be saints, respond to the high privilege of worship wearing jeans and a polo shirt, all it says is "I don't want to wear a suit and tie because its uncomfortable for MEEEE !" I wonder how uncomfortable Christ was up on the cross?

Wayne, you've said a lot of things in the past on this board that I have whole-heartedly agreed with, but I must disagree with you here, brother.

If someone shows up to your church in jeans and a t-shirt, your first reaction is "How selfish and inappropriate of him!" ?? Really? Do you really, honestly believe you are a better Christian because you put on a tie that morning? Or that your worship is more acceptable to God because you're wearing a suit? Do you really think God looks, even for a second, on the outward man and not on the inward heart?

Please take this post in a tone of love and respect, but I really am surprised at what you wrote.

The rule of thumb I follow is, that God gave us the very best that He had, should we not honor Him by giving Him of our very best as well.

It is true that God looks on the heart, but the condition of our hearts is reflected in our walk, before man and God. Afterall, who are we trying to please, God? or ourselves with what is convenient and comfortable? Is He number one in our life, or is it us? If He is, then we should give Him our very best, that includes how we dress before Him in worship.

Originally posted by CajunBibleBeliever
The rule of thumb I follow is, that God gave us the very best that He had, should we not honor Him by giving Him of our very best as well.

It is true that God looks on the heart, but the condition of our hearts is reflected in our walk, before man and God. Afterall, who are we trying to please, God? or ourselves with what is convenient and comfortable? Is He number one in our life, or is it us? If He is, then we should give Him our very best, that includes how we dress before Him in worship.

Oops. Better get rid of those padded pews and sound systems. Wouldn't want to be too convenient and comfortable.

Originally posted by wsw201
Originally posted by Scott Bushey

This is very true Scott. I find the idea that someone who would not wear jeans to a formal meeting or State dinner at the White House with the President would wear jeans and a "nice" t-shirt to come before the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. In worship we are ushered into the very throne room of God. Do we show proper reverence and awe before the most Holy God when we show up in less than our best? This idea that what we wear to church doesn't matter because it may or may not reflect our "heart" is a load of garbage!!! When I see those who have been called out of sin and darkness and into the Kingdom of Christ, called to be saints, respond to the high privilege of worship wearing jeans and a polo shirt, all it says is "I don't want to wear a suit and tie because its uncomfortable for MEEEE !" I wonder how uncomfortable Christ was up on the cross?

Sastark,
Please read over what Wayne has implied. His premise is that people choose to present themselves in suits to Earthly men and yet to the Sovereign One, jeans and a t-shirt will do? Why is that? It is our view of God.

Adam...the girl in question, with the short skirt, should be confronted by some of the older women in the congregation...I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole.

As for dress code...my buddy Tdowns007 aka TDrevolver and I do a theatical performance every Sunday during the summer for the kids' Sunday School. We play a couple of goof ball characters (Diamondback Danny and Too Pumped Trev) who get schooled every week by our well grounded Sunday School teacher. We wear shorts and surf-type shirts throughout summer and usually attend service after our performance wearing the same gear. I agree with most of the posts up to this point that God is absolutely concerned with the state of our hearts rather than the state of our outer wear. But...if in your heart you desire to dress up a little, I say go for it.

I know this quote doesn't directly fit the topic, but I once heard one of my favorite pastors say, "In regards to worship, God does not listen with a microphone, but with a stethoscope."

Dress is adiaphora (as long as it is not immodest). The arguments posted here for wearing the best are arguments from the lesser to the greater. If W. then G.

Where does this reasoning stop? That is why people appeal to the RPW. Why not appeal to that now? Does scripture anywhere explicitly stipulate or forbid what we wear? Who is to say that one piece of cotton sewed one way is better or worse than another? By what standard? Oh yeah, man's.

To continue to argue from the lesser to the greater...

Would we serve cheap box wine to the President? Shouldn't the wine used in the Lord's Supper be the best possible wine? (assuming that one's church uses actual wine).

Crackers...come now. Shouldn't we have a chef preparing the bread?

I would also probably get a fresh haircut for the President (can't go all shaggy looking...) Should I get one before every Sunday to look great?

Cologne...I should smell my best too huh? Better polish my shoes as well.

I also wouldn't see the Pres with my car being dirty inside and out. Better start washing it every Saturday.

Probably will need to keep my fingernails cut and clean as well as pop in a breath mint before I enter the sanctuary.

Everyone should definitely take singing lessons too. I'm probably tone deaf and should do what I can to improve the joyful squawks to the Lord that I make.

While we're on the outward appearance before God and man, obesity is bad. I should seek to exercise and regulate my diet until I look like Ah-nold. I shouldn't stop with just being trim...I should look like the best.

Who gets to define best?

What if your definition of best is better than mine? Is it binding? If someone's definition is a suit and I don't own one, am I obligated to go out and buy one? Should it be navy or black? 2 button, 3 button? If I can't afford one, should I pawn some stuff so I can get one? After all worship is the most important thing we do and it would trump other things. And dress is awfully important for church.

Are we willing to define not dressing to the 9's sin for a worship service? Should the elders take a clothing inventory at every parishoner's house to determine what their best is? That way if a person doesn't dress his best every week or even goes a few weeks in a row they can confront the sin with loving church discipline.

In fact, there can only be "1" best. Even if I have 3 suits are they all the same or is one better? Would this not relegate everyone dressing in the same outfit every Sunday? That is unless we purchase 7 different sets of the same clothes to be rotated.

And on a lighter note:
I wonder if Laura Bush always has to dress up in front of the President or if she would be able to come to the church service in a jogging suit since she wear's that in front of him...:candle:

Originally posted by crhoades
To continue to argue from the lesser to the greater...

Would we serve cheap box wine to the President? Shouldn't the wine used in the Lord's Supper be the best possible wine? (assuming that one's church uses actual wine).

Crackers...come now. Shouldn't we have a chef preparing the bread?

I would also probably get a fresh haircut for the President (can't go all shaggy looking...) Should I get one before every Sunday to look great?

Cologne...I should smell my best too huh? Better polish my shoes as well.

I also wouldn't see the Pres with my car being dirty inside and out. Better start washing it every Saturday.

Probably will need to keep my fingernails cut and clean as well as pop in a breath mint before I enter the sanctuary.

Everyone should definitely take singing lessons too. I'm probably tone deaf and should do what I can to improve the joyful squawks to the Lord that I make.

While we're on the outward appearance before God and man, obesity is bad. I should seek to exercise and regulate my diet until I look like Ah-nold. I shouldn't stop with just being trim...I should look like the best.

Who gets to define best?

What if your definition of best is better than mine? Is it binding? If someone's definition is a suit and I don't own one, am I obligated to go out and buy one? Should it be navy or black? 2 button, 3 button? If I can't afford one, should I pawn some stuff so I can get one? After all worship is the most important thing we do and it would trump other things. And dress is awfully important for church.

Are we willing to define not dressing to the 9's sin for a worship service? Should the elders take a clothing inventory at every parishoner's house to determine what their best is? That way if a person doesn't dress his best every week or even goes a few weeks in a row they can confront the sin with loving church discipline.

In fact, there can only be "1" best. Even if I have 3 suits are they all the same or is one better? Would this not relegate everyone dressing in the same outfit every Sunday? That is unless we purchase 7 different sets of the same clothes to be rotated.

And on a lighter note:
I wonder if Laura Bush always has to dress up in front of the President or if she would be able to come to the church service in a jogging suit since she wear's that in front of him...:candle:

:amen:

(This one is stretching it a bit due to my lack of constitutional knowledge but work with me...)

And aren't "We the People" technically sovereign? I mean aren't the powers in the people and the President only an elected representative? Isn't he a servant of the people?

If this is the case then if we ever have a PB conference I would expect everyone to dress up in a suit when you meet me because I voted. :bigsmile:

In fact if that's the case, then we should wear suits all of the time. Too the grocery, to the gas station, mowing our yard, etc. because we might meet a citizen of the U.S.

<historical side note>
It's funny that when we founded this country we were going against having a "king". Washington was very concerned on what he wore and what he was called because we were trying to be different. Somehow, over time, we have now turned the office into the throne room again. Something tells me that W. wouldn't mind it if someone approached him in jeans. (not that it matters either way.)

I think this part of the Confession may be relevant: "...and that there are some circumstances concerning the worship of God, and government of the Church, common to human actions and societies, which are to be ordered by the light of nature, and Christian prudence, according to the general rules of the Word, which are always to be observed. (Chap. I.IV).

The light of nature and Christian prudence, according to the general rules of the Word, are the standard for such things as are circumstantial to public worship. In other words, relating this to one's attire in worship, use good judgment informed by God's Word (ie., avoid immodest apparel, dress appropriately for the occasion and the circumstance).

When one tries to define proper attire more than that, it's like opening Pandora's Box (Greek mythical allusion).

If I remember correctly it is a robe of White that I will be wearing when I see my King. Cleansed by the blood of the Lamb. A robe he will give me. Not one I have paid for myself. I think we should be careful to notice the culture we are in when we are worshipping with a body of believers so that attention isn't drawn away from the eternal Glory. I'm actually a poor man. I do own a suit. I'm not going to see the President. I'm going to see the King of kings though. I don't want to be a white washed tomb. I don't want to be a dead thing either. I'm not speaking of balance. I am pleading for realilty. Hopefully I can come to church with a contrite heart. That is hard enough. My heart is so deceitful and prideful that it takes all my energy just to prepare it and dress it up for seeing the King. That is why I am not concerned with wearing a tie. God isn't concerned with us wearing a tie. He isn't worried about us wearing our finery. He is worried about us wearing a truly righteous, humble, attitude. If that means wearing a suit for some. So be it. It isn't for me.
Matthew 6:33
In Christ's Love.

For Christ's Crown and Covenant, R. Martin Snyder
:deadhorse: I agree!

[Edited on 11-30-2004 by puritancovenanter]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back