Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
fxfowle-dubai-arch.jpg

By Matt Sullivan
Images Courtesy of Fxfowle International
Published on: February 12, 2008
Here we were thinking that Minnesota's next-gen St. Anthony Falls Bridge was kicking up the next generation of mega engineering a notch from even the quake-proof Bay Bridge Skyway. But leave it to Dubai to build it way harder, faster and stronger—or, at least in the case of this newly approved design from New York's Fxfowle architects, way cooler.

As if the Burg Dubai tower wasn't already taking the worldwide skyscraper race to new heights, this as-yet-unnamed span will be the world's largest arch bridge, with 2000 vehicles set to cross its 12 lanes—per hour, in each direction—when it's slated for completion in 2012. At 670 ft. tall, Dubai's next super structure will stand higher than the George Washington Bridge (604 ft.) but fall short of San Francisco's existing Golden Gate Bridge (746 ft.).
Dubai's Mile-Long Super Arch Bridge Set for March Construction - Photos - Fxfowle - Popular Mechanics

Yet another tribute to European architectural genius and the hard work of third country nationals to add to the list in the UAE.

The Sultan of Dubai or Sheik, whatever he calls himself is an engineer and architect's best friend.
If I was an engineer I would have made my home in Dubai.

I get to stop there on the way to Hyderabad in a couple of weeks but I guess they can't have it completed that fast. Drat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back