Durham on Revelation vol. 1, first look

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Durham on Rev. v1. First look unless RHB has beat me and posted something already online. The freight company was 'nice' enough to ding some copies so I opened one of those all the way. Mixed blessing.
1-20200505_121158.jpg

It warranted a video from the man himself. If you haven't ordered get a copy today; and take advantage of RHB's big 50% off sale on other titles. Only correction to the brief bio given, and for off the cuff it is great, it was Durham's wife and mother in law that got him to church the Lord's Day he heard the gospel and believed (Ephraim Melvil preached, and he always referred to him as 'father' the rest of his life for that reason). Also, while I don't recall what his course of study at St. Andrews was before he dropped out to live life as a Scottish Laird upon an inheritance, he does use quite a few Scottish legal terms in his sermons and works and often employs “conjoined synonyms” in a form of pleonasm, which was and is common in the legal profession as legal doublets, which evolved from pairing an older form such as the Latin, French, or archaic term with the modern English equivalent. Durham often pairs equivalent English and Scottish terms. Also some familiarity with the law may have been expected for his training since both his grandfather and father served as King's Exchequer under James I and Charles I. This is also one of the reasons, his family's status, that he was chosen at a young age and barely a couple of years in the ministry to serve as royal chaplain to Charles II in 1650, which service Robert Baillie refers to as "his grievous burden," given what a rake the young heir to the thrown was, even in time of sermon flirting with the ladies.

I have made use of his work in Logos. But this looks like a far superior work. Thank you, Chris! I ordered mine this AM.

I haven't been on here in a while. Glad to come back and see this discussed.

There is no need for me to comment on its value. I think we all know how important this project is.

I pray that everyone is edified by this work.

I got mine yesterday, Chris. It looks great. I appreciate your attention to detail. Now, when is Durham on Canticles coming out? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back