Dylan Christmas? "Hark, the Wheezing Geezer Sings"???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
DylanXmas.jpg

Yes, it is that time again. And, for an inveterate aging hippie the thought of a Bob Dylan Christmas album is a mix of excitement, bemusement, and surreal incredulity.

"Here Comes Santa Claus"
"Do You Hear What I Hear?"
"Winter Wonderland"
"Hark the Herald Angels Sing"
"I'll Be Home for Christmas"
"Little Drummer Boy"
"The Christmas Blues"
"O' Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)"
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
"Must be Santa"
"Silver Bells"
"The First Noel"
"Christmas Island"
"The Christmas Song"
"O Little Town of Bethlehem"

It's evident Dylan took this project seriously; the tracks receive full arrangements with choruses, church bells, string sections and bands that include staples of Western swing.

To top it off, he has shot a video for a party-atmosphere rendition of "Must Be Santa," the Hal Moore and Bill Fredericks composition that has been recorded by the likes of Brave Combo and Tommy Steele.

Arrangements for the half-dozen tracks are rooted in the Christmas albums of the 1950s and early '60s, with hints of Andy Williams, Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters, and choral sing-along LPs. The approach is old-fashioned, dotted with a convincing joy in Dylan's growl and the musicians who surround him. Imagine Bob as your uncle gathering the family around the piano and leading the sing-along: He might not have the best voice but he's certainly full of enthusiasm.

Evidence abounds of Dylan's commitment to make this an artistically sound project. "Little Drummer Boy" is solemn yet increasingly welcoming, an effect created by having a child gradually increase his vocal presence until he is singing full lines in tandem with Dylan. Mel Torme and Bob Wells' "The Christmas Song" opens with an upright piano that suggests isolation. As the backing swells, the piano gives way to tuned bells that reinforce the notion of a gathering; though a jazz guitar sparks the tune as in Nat Cole's hit version, there is no "Jingle Bells" in the coda.

Dylan has a ball with "Here Comes Santa Claus," seemingly traveling on a route lit with tiki torches, and "Christmas Island," which connects with The Andrews Sisters' version.

It's the traditional rendition of "Adeste Fidelius"--"O Come All Ye Faithful" to English speakers--that may raise the most eyebrows. Dylan has thrown the world a lot of curves in his nearly 50-year recording career, but who would have thought we'd ever hear him sing the words "Regem angelorum/Venite adoremus"? Oddly enough, rendition is quite convincing.

Bill O'Reilly says that Dylan is donating the profits to charity. The Village Voice dubs it "O Rasp All Ye Faithful." Another reviewer called it: "Hark, the Wheezing Geezer Sings."

Last edited:
Twenty years of schoolin' and they put you on the sleigh shift?

Can you please crawl out your window?
Use your arms and legs it won't ruin you
How can you say he will haunt you?
You can go back to him any time you want to.
Santa Claus is comin' to town.

Actually, Dylan mentioned Santa as early as 1965 in his "On the Road Again"

Well, I go to pet your monkey
I get a face full of claws
I ask who's in the fireplace
And you tell me Santa Claus

The milkman comes in
He's wearing a derby hat
Then you ask why I don't live here
Honey, how come you have to ask me that?

Also in 1965, we hear . . .

Bow down to her on Sunday,
Salute her when her birthday comes.
Bow down to her on Sunday,
Salute her when her birthday comes.
For Halloween give her a trumpet
And for Christmas, buy her a drum.

I actually enjoy the Dylan "Christian-phase" albums.

I love Dylan and remember hearing on WORDFM the news that he had become a Christian - his albums during that time were wonderful and he gave a very convincing image of being committed to Christ. It's so sad that he returned to his Jewish roots and off into the mystic world of the Kaballa. I keep hoping that his profession of faith was real and that the Lord will draw him back to Himself.

I'll probably buy the cd - it should be fun!

Sue, you express my sentiments!

My wife cashed in our Best Buy Rewards coupons tonight and picked one up for me. It is fun.

DylanXmas.jpg

Yes, it is that time again. And, for an inveterate aging hippie the thought of a Bob Dylan Christmas album is a mix of excitement, bemusement, and surreal incredulity.

"Here Comes Santa Claus"
"Do You Hear What I Hear?"
"Winter Wonderland"
"Hark the Herald Angels Sing"
"I'll Be Home for Christmas"
"Little Drummer Boy"
"The Christmas Blues"
"O' Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)"
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
"Must be Santa"
"Silver Bells"
"The First Noel"
"Christmas Island"
"The Christmas Song"
"O Little Town of Bethlehem"

It's evident Dylan took this project seriously; the tracks receive full arrangements with choruses, church bells, string sections and bands that include staples of Western swing.

To top it off, he has shot a video for a party-atmosphere rendition of "Must Be Santa," the Hal Moore and Bill Fredericks composition that has been recorded by the likes of Brave Combo and Tommy Steele.

Arrangements for the half-dozen tracks are rooted in the Christmas albums of the 1950s and early '60s, with hints of Andy Williams, Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters, and choral sing-along LPs. The approach is old-fashioned, dotted with a convincing joy in Dylan's growl and the musicians who surround him. Imagine Bob as your uncle gathering the family around the piano and leading the sing-along: He might not have the best voice but he's certainly full of enthusiasm.

Evidence abounds of Dylan's commitment to make this an artistically sound project. "Little Drummer Boy" is solemn yet increasingly welcoming, an effect created by having a child gradually increase his vocal presence until he is singing full lines in tandem with Dylan. Mel Torme and Bob Wells' "The Christmas Song" opens with an upright piano that suggests isolation. As the backing swells, the piano gives way to tuned bells that reinforce the notion of a gathering; though a jazz guitar sparks the tune as in Nat Cole's hit version, there is no "Jingle Bells" in the coda.

Dylan has a ball with "Here Comes Santa Claus," seemingly traveling on a route lit with tiki torches, and "Christmas Island," which connects with The Andrews Sisters' version.

It's the traditional rendition of "Adeste Fidelius"--"O Come All Ye Faithful" to English speakers--that may raise the most eyebrows. Dylan has thrown the world a lot of curves in his nearly 50-year recording career, but who would have thought we'd ever hear him sing the words "Regem angelorum/Venite adoremus"? Oddly enough, rendition is quite convincing.

Bill O'Reilly says that Dylan is donating the profits to charity. The Village Voice dubs it "O Rasp All Ye Faithful." Another reviewer called it: "Hark, the Wheezing Geezer Sings."
:applause:

Isn't it interesting that we readily castigate a brother who loves Jesus and nit pick him to death over the semantics and labels of doctrine and then suck up to the hopelessly confused drivel and foolishness of a presumed Christian such as Bob Dylan?
Perhaps some of that love or at least toleration should be shown to our brothers in Jesus who love the Gospel and love His Word even though they may not be sufficiently informed or educated.

I hope to find this as an MP3 bonus album of the day on Amazon. I love Dylan, and I love the secular aspects of Christmas!

If you dare to get "tangled up in yule" . . .

Check out Dylan's Christmas polka (for free) on this web site. This is but one of his 15 classics on his new Christmas album!

Bob Dylan ? Christmas in The Heart | Official Sony Music Store

"Must Be Santa" ramps up the insanity to even dizzier levels, with accordions moaning and cymbals crashing away at the speed of polka.

[BTW - captivewill, I don't want to "suck up" to Dylan. I'm just old and grew up on his music.]

Last edited:
The last Christmas album I purchased was Jon Anderson (of Yes) 3 Ships....when it was first released in 1985.

Back in '85?!?!? Wow! I usually buy at least 3 Christmas cds every year - they come out of storage the day after Thanksgiving and I enjoy them until after the new year! I was just looking at the selections in the Ligonier catalog - a couple of those cds will be my present to myself. I love Christmas music!

Back in '85?!?!? Wow! I usually buy at least 3 Christmas cds every year - they come out of storage the day after Thanksgiving and I enjoy them until after the new year! I was just looking at the selections in the Ligonier catalog - a couple of those cds will be my present to myself. I love Christmas music!

I have become one that barely tolerates Christmas. It is not dated by scripture, but coincides with the shortest day where the weeping for Tammuz is noted. It's Romish Christ-mass origin is all man made tradition. Yes, I believe in and rejoice about the virgin birth, but am disgusted by the empty traditions that have been handed down from generation to generation that man has tacked on to it.

I agree ...and I like his music as well...I was only observing my own tendency at least, to quickly form "fellowship" around such minimally important things while having a higher than necessary criteria for the most important thing which is the fellowship of believers in Christ.

-----Added 10/19/2009 at 09:17:30 EST-----

I believe so..this is the one about Christmas music..and Dylan..and Jesus..right?
"General" includes the constant priority of glorifying Christ I assume.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back