Dylan Documentary ***SPOILER WARNING***

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartoflesh

Puritan Board Junior
***This may not have aired in your area yet***

Did anyone else catch part one of "No Direction Home" on PBS last night? I thought it was quite well done. I especially enjoyed the massive amount of Dylan performance footage I had never seen before. It was a real treat seeing the flashback (flash forward??) segments of Dylan playing in England in November 1966 (just a month before I was born!). Great fun seeing Robbie Robertson tweaking those crazy solos. It's amazing how they could play with so much booing going on. Dylan really shocked everyone when he went electric alright. I guess we'll get the full story on that tonight.

I've always thought Dylan's greatest strength was his lyrics, and that belief was reinforced last night. "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" is simply an amazing song. I'm going to be searching for a good guitar tab for that one today.

yep it was one of those things you start watching and then kick yourself for not recording. That was phenomenal musical history.

Originally posted by Richard King
yep it was one of those things you start watching and then kick yourself for not recording. That was phenomenal musical history.

Whew! I scrambled to find a VHS tape just in time! :D It's available on DVD though.

I understand this documentary is running again tonight (Sat) on PBS
This is a thought that was sent to me from my local Dylan expert that I think is a good summary:

Lots of folks are talking about the Dylan show and how Scorsese left out the Christian part of Bob's life. True it wasn't there, the show ended in '66, not a bad place to stop if you plan to do a two parter. After the motorcycle crash his career did come to a stop for a few years. When you consider that Dylan didn't get "Saved" until 1978, I fail to see the conspiracy. I had a phone call to me before the credits and the last song were over so I doubt if they caught the Scorsese interview where he said that it was the producers plan to end the show in '66.

I'm not defending Martin Scorsese by any means, he is a little creepy for my taste, if I want weird I much prefer Quentin Tarentino. But truthfully does anyone really want to give the world another "Gospel according to Scorsese"?

I liked the show even if it didn't always show Bob in the best light, that's what real history is all about, not just white washing your heroes.

Although I would have to give it an "incomplete", I don't feel it is so flawed as to be of no value.

I saw part of the PBS thingy tonight...it reinforced my suspicions on Dylan...

Poseur extraodinaire.

What a fake. I'm going to duck and run now, but it did confirm that much for me.

Originally posted by Craig
I saw part of the PBS thingy tonight...it reinforced my suspicions on Dylan...

Poseur extraodinaire.

What a fake. I'm going to duck and run now, but it did confirm that much for me.

Oh no you dih-ent!

It is best to watch an entire 'thingy'.
I thought journalists who were interviewing him on the meanings of his lyrics who admited to him that they had never heard his songs...were the ones posing.

Originally posted by Richard King
Oh no you dih-ent!

It is best to watch an entire 'thingy'.
I thought journalists who were interviewing him on the meanings of his lyrics who admited to him that they had never heard his songs...were the ones posing.
Mr King...a poser on either side of the aisle is still a poser. I wish the board had a disheveled looking smiley with a droopy face and lyrics of discontent...that would be awesome :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back