E.F. Author of The Marrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
Who was Edward Fisher, the layman who wrote The Marrow of Modern Divinity, not only one of the most important books on the covenants, but what many judge to be one of the most important books ever written on the gospel? I know he was a layman, but that's all I know. This is all wikipedia has: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Fisher_(theologian)

Does anyone have more information on the life of Edward Fisher?

Last edited:
You might check out these:

Beaton, D. “‘The Marrow of Modern Divinity’ and the Marrow Controversy.” The Princeton Theological Review IV, no. 1–4 (1906).

Hall, Joseph. “The Marrow Controversy: A Defense of Grace and The Free Offer of the Gospel.” Mid-America Journal of Theology, no 10 (1999).

Makidon, Michael D. “The Marrow Controversy.” Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society Volume 16 16, no. 31 (2003).

I've read through a few of these articles, though they do deal more with the controversy than they do with the author's life. The best resource I found so far is in the preface of the Christian Heritage 2005 edition written by William Vandoodewaard. There are two known Edward Fisher's during this time period that could have been the author and though history has sided with the one, who is more scholarly and known to be a master of the languages, he makes a very compelling case that E.F. was the other Edward Fisher, a commoner and barber by profession, as well as book-seller, living in London.

Edward Fisher, a commoner and barber by profession, as well as book-seller, living in London.

That's what I remember reading as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back