E=mc^2; formalisation of sin and its effects upon the body, the breathe, the brain, the organs. Proving that a person is more than a body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PezLad

Puritan Board Freshman
We know of the effects of the fall upon us. Fear, shame, guilt and anxiety are all peculiar human experiences and all are fruit and effects of original sin and personal sin. Does anyone know of any formalisation of the mechanical effects of sin upon the body. Can we find in nature, expressions like E=mc^2 that give representations of spiritual things? I dont want to sound like a quack, but could one not prove and demonstrate sin in regards to the physical body. For example, the body pertains to mass, the breathe to energy, and hence something like sexual sin would reduce ones energy, that is their breathe, hence reducing their mass (destroying the body, including the brain by threatening its continence). The breathing could be connected to the imagination, and the defilement therein by idols which destroy reason also, the imagination bearing upon the breathing, the breathing upon the mass and health of the body. This latter point, that is the imagination, as evidenced in children, have their eyes opened during adolescents, wherein the purity of the childs imagination is wholly lost unto idols, although the brain becomes more developed and rational thought is easier, nonetheless, idols in the imagination make war on reason.

16 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 17 “Speak to Aaron, saying: ‘No man of your descendants in succeeding generations, who has any defect, may approach to offer the bread of his God. 18 For any man who has a defect shall not approach: a man blind or lame, who has a marred face or any limb too long, 19 a man who has a broken foot or broken hand, 20 or is a hunchback or a dwarf, or a man who has a defect in his eye, or eczema or scab, or is a eunuch. 21 No man of the descendants of Aaron the priest, who has a defect, shall come near to offer the offerings made by fire to the Lord. He has a defect; he shall not come near to offer the bread of his God. 22 He may eat the bread of his God, both the most holy and the holy; 23 only he shall not go near the veil or approach the altar, because he has a defect, lest he profane My sanctuaries; for I the Lord sanctify them.’ ” Does faith alter the body? Since faith most certainly mortifies the flesh and vivifies the imagination and reason unto God, wherein hope and glory are implanted by the Spirit of Christ, can the christian expect his body to be healed and strengthened in a tangible way? If God does not accept deformity in those who worship him in drawing nigh unto him, should we not conclude that those who have any deformity, can expect some healing through faith, because God will make their bodies a worthy instrument to worship him? Or should we simply only hope for our new resurrection bodies?

I hope I understand you correctly. You're curious if sin has a physical effect on the human body?

I would say no. Many Psalms call on God to judge the wicked because they seem to have everything going for them. Eg. Psalm 73
I would assume their apparent good health would play a part in that.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern of your sinfulness affecting your physical body in any way.

In the same way, faith has no bearing on how you look physically. There might be some healthy practices in terms of caring for your body as the temple of God that would lead to better health but I wouldn't draw a direct correlation between faith and physical health.

On the first point, viz, is it possible by means of the physical sciences to measure spiritual things, I think the answer is tied to the dichotomy of man and how the soul and body relate to each other. Berkhof's discussion on the Constitutional Nature of Man might be helpful here. But I think the approach is unlikely to succeed, and is definitely impossible with the current understanding of the human body. To use your example, to reduce the body to mass and the breath to energy wouldn't work: air has mass and the body has fat cells which are practically stored energy. If it is true that sexual sin would leave you with less breath or energy, it is also true that asthma and God-ordained marital sexual activity would do the same. To elaborate on @Jonathan95's point: there is no one-to-one correlation between particular sins and particular effects on the body that can be so precisely defined as to be stated as an equation. I do not understand the point about imagination, idols and reason.

On the second point, I think there's two points to keep in mind. One, this is definitely not about worshippers even under the Mosaic law: it is a particular law for the priests. Cf. Matthew Henry:
21:1-24 Laws concerning the priests. - As these priests were types of Christ, so all ministers must be followers of him, that their example may teach others to imitate the Saviour. Without blemish, and separate from sinners, He executed his priestly office on earth. What manner of persons then should his ministers be! But all are, if Christians, spiritual priests; the minister especially is called to set a good example, that the people may follow it. Our bodily infirmities, blessed be God, cannot now shut us out from his service, from these privileges, or from his heavenly glory. Many a healthful, beautiful soul is lodged in a feeble, deformed body. And those who may not be suited for the work of the ministry, may serve God with comfort in other duties in his church.

And secondly, the only requirement for the body to be a worthy instrument to worship God in this life is in Romans 12:1,
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship [or reasonable service].

It is true that people have disabilities and deformities as a result of sin entering the world, but it is also true that God has promised to rid the body even of these, but this is assured only at Christ's coming when we will be glorified in soul and body, as John says in 1John 3:2 [cf. 1 Corinthians 15:35-57] ,
Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back