Early christians/jews worked on sunday ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
Someone told me the that the sunday is the Lord's day, the earliest Christians never considered Sunday to be a rest day or the Sabbath. You will observe that the first mention of Sunday being a day of rest was in 220AD by Origen. And working on the sunday is not a problem. Ehata re your thoughts, because some says it is a sin to work on sundag, while the first christians jews also worked and were nnot giong against it ?

1.Could you document evidence that the Christians worked upon the Lord's day?
2. Could you prove that they were correct to do so if 1 is proven?

1.Could you document evidence that the Christians worked upon the Lord's day?
2. Could you prove that they were correct to do so if 1 is proven?

Good questions. By the way, iam not agree with that person who was claiming that.

First of all, there were christians whom hath to work on sunday, but it was because many of these christians were slaves and hath not the freedom to keep the whole day a day of rest.

- AD 120-140 CLEMENT: The Lord's day, let's us not
merely believe and pay attention now, while we are
being exorted by the Elders, but also when we have
gone home let us remember the commandments of the
Lord, and let us not be dragged aside by wordly lust,
but let us try to come here more frequently, and to
make process in the commands of the Lord.

- AD 185-254 ORIGEN: Leaving the Jewish observance of
the Sabbath, let us see how the Sabbath ought to be
observed by a christian.

i am not agree with that person who was claiming that.

I know that mate :handshake:

First of all, there were christians whom hath to work on sunday, but it was because many of these christians were slaves and hath not the freedom to keep the whole day a day of rest.

That is a slightly different case than us today eh :)

- AD 120-140 CLEMENT: The Lord's day, let's us not merely believe and pay attention now, while we are being exorted by the Elders, but also when we have gone home let us remember the commandments of the Lord, and let us not be dragged aside by wordly lust, but let us try to come here more frequently, and to make process in the commands of the Lord.

Not sure what you wish to prove by this.

- AD 185-254 ORIGEN: Leaving the Jewish observance of the Sabbath, let us see how the Sabbath ought to be observed by a christian.

:cheers:

i am not agree with that person who was claiming that.

I know that mate :handshake:

That is a slightly different case than us today eh :)

- AD 120-140 CLEMENT: The Lord's day, let's us not merely believe and pay attention now, while we are being exorted by the Elders, but also when we have gone home let us remember the commandments of the Lord, and let us not be dragged aside by wordly lust, but let us try to come here more frequently, and to make process in the commands of the Lord.

- AD 185-254 ORIGEN: Leaving the Jewish observance of the Sabbath, let us see how the Sabbath ought to be observed by a christian.

:cheers:

Clement wrote in the context that the whole day hath to be dedicated for worship, accordingly the commandments. I got this qoute from Pipa's book.

I ask that friend of mine, if the Lord's day would be different than the Sabbath, because christians can do (besides worship) normal work, why does Origen than say, that we have to see the christian how the Sabbath probely needs to be hold ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back