Early Church fathers on Hosea marrying a Harlot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
I am doing a church study on Hosea ch 1 and looking at the question of Hosea marrying a harlot.

Can those of you who are experts on the Church Fathers give me an outline of how the Church Fathers handled this. This is a Bible study so do not need to go into detail. Just some key points as to how the Church Fathers handled it.

I am reading up myself re how the Reformers Puritans, modern teachers etc handled it so have that aspect covered.

Thank you.

Systematici commentaries by the fathers are someewhat sketchy. The best I can tell is to find the relevant passages in the Ancient Christian Commentary Series.

I can recommend that you might want to consult these commentaries on the minor prophets by Jerome, Cyril of Alexandria, and Theodoret of Cyrus. The following are the specific volumes for these three patristic authors whose translations are available in English. You’ll find their commentary on Hosea in each of the following specific volumes. I have all three, but I don’t particularly care to treat your objective as a sort of ‘hit or miss’ in terms of the “take”you deem important and/or second guess what you might be looking for.

Jerome, Ancient Christian Texts, Thomas P. Scheck, ed., trans., Commentaries on the Twelve Prophets, volume 2 (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2016).

Fathers of the Church, Vol. 115, St Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Twelve Prophets, Vol. 1, trans. Robert C. Hill (Washington D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 2007).

Robert Charles Hill, Theodoret of Cyrus, Commentaries on the Prophets, Vol. 3, Commentary on the Twelve Prophets (Brookline: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2006).

Just to clarify I do not have commentaries by the Early Church Fathers and because of the small nature of the study did not want to focus too much on the thought of the Fathers. (I am reading Calvin, Matthew Henry and modern commentaries). I was just wondering, broadly speaking, if any Puritan Board members were aware of the stance the Fathers took on the issue of Hosea marrying a Harlot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back