Early Spread of M'Cheyne's Bible-Reading Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm currently reading this set of books: Forty Years' Familiar Letters of James W. Alexander, D.D., Constituting, with the Notes, a Memoir of His Life, edited by John Hall; 2 volumes (New York: Charles Scribner, 1860). I've just started volume 2.

In a letter of April 2, 1845, here is this interesting tidbit: "I am about to get Carter* to print M'Cheyne's scheme for reading through the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice in the year. It includes family worship as well as private reading, and the table will do to hang up or paste in a book though, as he [M'Cheyne] issued it, it is a pamphlet, with remarks." (Volume 2, Page 26)

*by "Carter," Alexander means Robert Carter (later, Robert Carter & Son), the New York publishing house.

Interesting - M'Cheyne had originally prepared his Bible-reading scheme for his own congregation. It was published in January, 1843. Now, barely two years later, it had become well-known enough that there were plans to publish it in the US by a major New York publisher.

It would be interesting to see an original copy of M'Cheyne's scheme - maybe one by Carter if not one of the actual originals by M'Cheyne himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back