Easter or "Resurrection Sunday?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritanhead

Puritan Board Professor
Easter or \"Resurrection Sunday?\"

What does your church refer to the holiday in honor of Christ's passion and resurrection as? (assuming of course that they observe it)

Does your church refer to holiday celebrating Christ's atoning, death, and resurrection as Easter or "Resurrection Sunday?"

Etymologically Easter is essentially a pagan word attributable to a ancient pagan deity originating in the Middle East. Easter takes its name from Ishtar, the Babylonian and Assyrian goddess of fertility. The maritime Phoenicians and the Romans helped spread Easter through Europe. The goddess known as Ishtar became Ostara, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility. Should we include "Easter" in our lexicon and worship services? I've heard hymns with "Easter" in them even...

Do you think observing the holiday under the name "Easter" is wrong?

[Edited on 3-20-2005 by Puritanhead]

Every sunday is resurrection sunday ie the Lord's Day. There's no need or reason to commemorate the actual day of the year.

I once heard a minister say, "Eater is the worse thing that has happenned to Christ" WHat he meant was we are to live as resurrection people every day, and yet we only talk about it once a year.

I agree. :2cents:

In His Grace

Joseph

Our church celebrates the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ every Lord's Day. We do not celebrate the pagan/Roman holiday of Easter so-called.

No to Easter. My children will tell you that Easter is a pagan holiday. They know of Ressurrection Sunday and Passover.

How about pascha in Acts 12:4? It's the only place in the KJV that is translated Easter. Many call it an error. What do you think? I'm goin with the KJV.

Yes, every Sunday is a resurrection Sunday, but should we really be using the term "Sunday" in such close connection? What's the Sun got to do with it? It's also March right now-- should we really be using this term, considering the implications for Mars worship? The Roman god of war?

[Edited on 3-20-2005 by Rick Larson]

Act 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

pascha : More properly rendered as 'passover'.

[Edited on 3-20-2005 by Scott Bushey]

Originally posted by Rick Larson
It's also March right now-- should we really be using this term, considering the implications for Mars worship? The Roman god of war?

Beware of the Ides of March Julius Caesar.
:)

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Our church celebrates the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ every Lord's Day. We do not celebrate the pagan/Roman holiday of Easter so-called.

THIS should be our main point in my opinion. Rather than getting side tracked by "names" etc. The question is, should we celeberate this holiday in the way many do? The quote above answers that question in my opinion.

Rick, though I believe you were being facetious you do make a good point. First, my objection to the 'holy day' Easter is not its pagan name but the fact it's observation is no where commanded in God's word. Christ's resurrection is to be celebrated every Lord's Day. 2nd, similarly I have no problem with the pagan name March. However, what I have done, calling the Sabbath "sunday", is a questionable practice. "Sunday" is a pagan name, the Sabbath is the Holy Day of the Lord. From the beginning God blessed the day and called it a holy rest. God has appointed the name Sabbath for His day, who are we to give it nicknames? And what a supreme insult to call His Day by a name which denotes principles completely averse to its meaning and purpose! Imagine calling the 4th of July Yankee Rebel Scum Day! Moreover, consideration needs to be taken to the relationship between language and thought. Undoubtedly the words we use influence the ideas we have. Calling the Sabbath Sunday weakens us to the world's secular view of this Religious day.

Nicknaming the Sabbath
THOMAS MELVILLE SLATER, Minister

http://www.covenanter.org/Sabbath/sabbathnicknames.htm
And while we are unwilling to sit in judgment upon, or to bring a railing accusation against any Christian who, after a prayerful consideration of this subject, persists in calling the Lord´s day "Sunday;" we cannot but feel that, as expressing any thought a Christian should have regarding the Sabbath, "Sunday" is a misnomer; that nicknames are a poor evidence of esteem; that professed loyalty to the Sabbath in other respects will hardly atone for abuse in this; that however popular the custom, or however sincere one may be in following it, they who do so have something yet to learn regarding the purpose, the spirit, and the delightsomeness of the Sabbath; and that when these mistaken brethren are more fully instructed in the way of God, Scriptural conceptions of the Sabbath will constrain them to speak of it in corresponding terms.

Another important point is that we are not to be conformed unto the world. The author rightly states the designation "Sabbath" is an ensign of Christianity.

Originally posted by houseparent
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

THIS should be our main point in my opinion. Rather than getting side tracked by "names" etc. The question is, should we celeberate this holiday in the way many do? The quote above answers that question in my opinion.

It depends on what you mean by "celebrating the holiday the way many do". If you mean engaging in some type of pagan fertility god ritual, then obviously the answer is no. If you mean specifically recalling our Lord's week of passion, his crucifixion and resurrection, then I personally don't have a problem with it.
Fixing a particular time during the year to bring these matters to rememberance doesn't de facto imply that we are ignorant of or unappreciative of these matters the 51 other weeks.

But, in my opinion, wasting too much energy on this subject is akin to being "obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which comy envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless wranglings" (1 Tim. 6:4-5) instead of "godly edification which is by faith" (1 Tim. 1:4). There are certainly more pressing matters that concern us, bigger fish to fry, more we should be doing positively to edify-- rather than wasting time wondering whether so-and-so calls it Easter or Resurrection Sunday, or whether they should be observing it at all.

:2cents:

[Edited on 3-20-2005 by Rick Larson]

But, in my opinion, wasting too much energy on this subject is akin to being "obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which comy envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless wranglings" (1 Tim. 6:4-5) instead of "godly edification which is by faith" (1 Tim. 1:4). There are certainly more pressing matters that concern us, bigger fish to fry, more we should be doing positively to edify-- rather than wasting time wondering whether so-and-so calls it Easter or Resurrection Sunday, or whether they should be observing it at all.

AGREED!:up:

Originally posted by jon_b
How about pascha in Acts 12:4? It's the only place in the KJV that is translated Easter. Many call it an error. What do you think? I'm goin with the KJV.

The word "passover" was coined by William Tyndale, who translated "pascha" in every instance (except Acts 12:4) as passover. He must have had some reason to translate as "easter."

Edit: For clarity, I didn't mean to suggest in my post that Tyndale had anything to do with the King James (as he was dead). It's just that the KJV translators chose to follow Tyndale in this aspect as well.

[Edited on 3-20-2005 by Authorised]

In the case of Acts 12.4, pascha must mean either the Passover or the pagan holiday known as Easter, which had been celebrated since before the birth of Christ. The Geneva Bible used Passover; the KJV used Easter. Neither one gives credence for Christians to observe the holiday referred to.

When considering the single use of "Easter" in the 1611 A.V., it is imperative that one also consider its multiple occurrences in the English Bibles which preceded it. Following the transmission of the word "Easter" in these early Bibles, it becomes apparent that the A.V. translators were helping to phase out this mistranslation...

In the Textus Receptus, the Greek word "pascha" is found in the following verses:

Matthew 26:2, 26:17, 26:18, 26:19
Mark 14:1, 14:12, 14:14, 14:16
Luke 2:41, 22:1, 22:7, 22:8, 22:11, 22:13, 22:15
John 2:13, 2:23, 6:4, 11:55, 12:1, 13:1, 18:28, 18:39, 19:14
Acts 12:4
I Corinthians 5:7
Hebrews 11:28.

Occurrences of the word "Easter" in New Testament verses cited above:

John Wycliffe's translation based on the Latin Vulgate used the word "paske" or "pask" in all of the above New Testament verses.

William Tyndale's translation used "Easter" in all the above verses except Mt. 26:17 and Jn 18:28.

The Great Bible used "Easter" in 14 verses: [Mt. 26:2, 18; Mk. 14:1; Lk. 2:41,22:1; Jn. 2:13, 2:23, 6:4, 11:55, 12:1, 13:1, 18:39, 19:14; Acts 12:4].

The Geneva Bible eliminated "Easter" altogether.

The Bishop's Bible [1568] used "Easter" in 2 verses: John 11:55 and Acts 12:4.

The Authorised Version of 1611 used "Easter" in only one verse: Acts 12:4.

We must also remember that alot of this old Pagan stuff was ripped off or copies from the Hebrew religion and the star names given before the tower of Babel. These star names all correspond in their meanings with various parts of the story of redemption. Even in the order they come around the earth during their seasons. The star names and signs were named long before the Egyptians and other cultures ripped them off and gave them their own meanings. God's ordained holy days like passover were there first.

Believe it or not...

...I have an opinion on this.

I have had to bear the brunt of many questions over the course of my life because of my unique last name. I don't prefer Easter, either.

If I had a nickel for everytime I have been asked if I was born on Easter, I could probably pay my tuition at school.

I do like my name in Italian, and it happens to be my favorite food, both to consume and to cook. Had my life gone another way, I was going to open a Ristorante named Pasqua d' Journi's.

But, I am much in favor of the Lord's Day, every Lord's Day, to worship the risen Christ. The liturgy calendar is not my preference, but that is for my elders to decide.

In Christ,

Kalvino Carlos Pasqua d' Journi

Originally posted by kceaster

I have had to bear the brunt of many questions over the course of my life because of my unique last name. I don't prefer Easter, either.

If I had a nickel for everytime I have been asked if I was born on Easter, I could probably pay my tuition at school.

I do like my name in Italian, and it happens to be my favorite food, both to consume and to cook. Had my life gone another way, I was going to open a Ristorante named Pasqua d' Journi's.

But, I am much in favor of the Lord's Day, every Lord's Day, to worship the risen Christ. The liturgy calendar is not my preference, but that is for my elders to decide.

In Christ,

Wouldn't it be something like "il giorno di Pasqua"?

Originally posted by kceaster

In Christ,

Well Kevin. That is what happens to us who have had name changes at ellis island. Your forefather tried to muble out Pasqua d' Journi , it became easterday. That is why there are so many Tony's they would stamp them TO NY !!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
No liturgical calendar / holy day observance here either; so I guess for the poll it's another "other".
For Presbyterian's interested (or others) in how we started using the "Christian" calendar, see "The Religious Observance of Christmas and 'Holy Days' in American Presbyterianism" at: http://www.fpcr.org/blue_banner_articles/americanxmas.htm

[Edited on 3-21-2005 by NaphtaliPress]

Easter is a mix of Greek paganism and Jewish paganism. The Passover, like all the OT liturgical feast days, was completed in Christ. The Passover that exists today in various quarters is a denial of the finished work of Jesus Christ.

Old Covenant Passover was replaced with the Lord's Supper which we are to celebrate often. Every Christian Sabbath is the day we remember our Passover, the Lord Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 5:7)

Does this really matter?

Of course we celebrate the resurrection every Lord's day. But do you hear your pastor preach concerning the resurrection every Lord's day? I'm not so sure what the problem is with names like "Easter" and "Christmas." A rose by any other name... What's wrong having one day of the year in which the central topic concerns the endings of the Gospels and I Corinthians 15?

This is a silly thread.

What next? Ix-nay on the chocolate bunnies and cadbury eggs?

Very important thread

Gal 4:10-11 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Col 2:20-23, Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Holy Days other than the Sabbath are "the commandments and doctrines of men" and "will worship."

http://www.puritanboard.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7102#pid109307

[Edited on 3-22-2005 by Peter]

Originally posted by Peter
Very important thread

Gal 4:10-11 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Col 2:20-23, Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Holy Days other than the Sabbath are "the commandments and doctrines of men" and "will worship."

http://www.puritanboard.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7102#pid109307

[Edited on 3-22-2005 by Peter]

Peter, I'd prefer you stop the misrepresentation; it is a total lie to say that I have advocated doctrines and commandments of men.

The Lord's day this coming Sunday will be used to strategically focus on Christ's resurrection during the sermon. Tell me, in which way is this a commandment of men?

Is it that we, as Christians, are worshipping as a corporate body on the Lord's day?
No.
Is it that the preacher is preaching concerning the resurrection?
No.

Hmm, I'm not seeing any doctrines or commandments of men here, and frankly, you aren't either. What's the problem here?

[Edited on 3-22-2005 by Authorised]

Originally posted by The Lamb

Well Kevin. That is what happens to us who have had name changes at ellis island. Your forefather tried to muble out Pasqua d' Journi , it became easterday. That is why there are so many Tony's they would stamp them TO NY !!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, unfortunately, the name change at Ellis was from Ostertag to Easterday. I'm only Italian by wishing it were so. I should enjoy liverwurst, but I don't.

KC

Originally posted by Authorised
Does this really matter?

Of course we celebrate the resurrection every Lord's day. But do you hear your pastor preach concerning the resurrection every Lord's day? I'm not so sure what the problem is with names like "Easter" and "Christmas." A rose by any other name... What's wrong having one day of the year in which the central topic concerns the endings of the Gospels and I Corinthians 15?

This is a silly thread.

What next? Ix-nay on the chocolate bunnies and cadbury eggs?

Is that all your church does? I find very few churches, even supposedly reformed churches that use this excuse for celebrating Easter actually limit their one-day-in-52 worship to a sermon on the resurrection. They usually have special music, the choir is especailly in tune that day, perhaps other subtle or not-so-subtle changes to the order of worship, in order to make the day seem more "special".

If your church does not, it is the exception.

"I know how difficult it is to persuade the world that God disapproves of all modes of worship not expressly sanctioned by his word. The opposite persuasion which cleaves to them, being seated, as it were, in their very bones and marrow, is, that whatever they do has in itself a sufficient sanction, provided it exhibits some kind of zeal for the honor of God. But since God not only regards as fruitless, but also plainly abominates, whatever we undertake from zeal to his worship, if at variance with his command, what do we gain by a contrary course? The words of God are clear and distinct, "Obedience is better than sacrifice." "In vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men," (1 Sam. 15:22; Matt. 15:9). Every addition to his word, especially in this matter, is a lie. Mere "will worship" (ethelothreeskeia) is vanity. This is the decision, and when once the judge has decided, it is no longer time to debate." (John Calvin, The Necessity of Reforming the Church)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back