Eating out Lord's Day, scripture and confession

Eating out Lord's Day in light of Scripture, Confession

• Eating out is ordinarily prohibited

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Eating out is ordinarily prohibited, but permitted while one is traveling away from home

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Eating out is not ordinarily prohibited if one focuses on God (thoughts and words) while doing it

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Eating out is not ordinarily prohibited and there is no requirement to focus on God while doing it

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Eating out is not ordinarily prohibited but I have conviction not to do it

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Polling is closed.

We made it through another sabbath discussion on Puritan Board!

71% of voters believe that Scripture and the Confessions ordinarily require one to refrain from eating out in restaurants on the Lord's Day while home, or do so as a matter of conviction. 26% would make exception while traveling.

Substantial discussion involved our need to invite people for meals on the Lord's Day, at church and in our homes, especially visitors and people traveling. We need to be more sensitive to this, and more hospitable people.

The Lord commands us to make the day "holy" that is, set aside from the ordinary things of the rest of the week.

May God grant us all a desire to obey Him more, for His Honor, and His Glory!

Don...

We each need to realize that we break the Sabbath every Lord's Day. One brother said that he keeps the Sabbath. Brother, there is no one who keeps the Sabbath but One, and we need to remember that.

KC

This is not true. The fact we do not keep the commandments perfectly does not mean we do not keep them.

These are not idle goals to aim toward. You had better be KEEPING the commands in the sense scripture tells us.

1 John 3:22
22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.
NKJV

1 John 5:2-4
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith
NKJV

Rev 12:17
17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
NKJV

1 John 2:3-6

Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
NKJV

John 15:10
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. NKJV

Matt 19:17
But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
NKJV
Was Jesus teaching Judaism or Chritianity.

And don't anyone say this is works salvation or FV This is simply saying those who have been born again have some definitive santification and they as a result of being regenerated desire to do works and obey

In a sense, this is true, we are to keep the commandments. Yet the law and the keeping of it, always points us to Christ. The law will always thunder, but we can never answer that we have done it. We have to rest in the belief that Christ is the One to answer for us.

So, where we are told to keep the commandments, we ought to say that we do as unprofitable servants do. But in the end, only Christ can truly keep the law.

In Christ,

KC

So, where we are told to keep the commandments, we ought to say that we do as unprofitable servants do. But in the end, only Christ can truly keep the law.
In Christ,
KC

Well you can say whatever you want.

I would rather say
1 John 2:3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.

4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked. NKJV

What I do see odd in some of the questions that come to the law and actions is that there is imbalance. There was a thread about smoking weed, and many people thought it was ok. But now when it comes to eating out on the Lord's Day, they follow that really strictly. It would be nice if one follows the law, to follow all of it, all the way. The issue comes to worshipping God with all your heart, soul, and mind. The body is also to be presented as a holy sacrifice to God. I just wanted to through this in here because I see there are people who are ok with some other things (like smoking weed), but when it comes to another part of the, like the Lord's day they follow it with extreme precision...while following one part of the law, another is left out (or not stressed upon as much as it should)

Though the one would not invalidate the other, I agree there should be consistency in our judgment

Matt 7:2-5
2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
NKJV

Last edited:
Also it depends what they though of the smoking weed. Some smoke cigarettes now and they may be banned by our govt one day.
And science has shown them bad for health. So how does this affect their conscience in how they keep the Lord's day or using restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back