Eating out Lord's Day, scripture and confession

Eating out Lord's Day in light of Scripture, Confession

• Eating out is ordinarily prohibited

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Eating out is ordinarily prohibited, but permitted while one is traveling away from home

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • Eating out is not ordinarily prohibited if one focuses on God (thoughts and words) while doing it

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Eating out is not ordinarily prohibited and there is no requirement to focus on God while doing it

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Eating out is not ordinarily prohibited but I have conviction not to do it

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many would see it as going overboard, but I think a lot of this reasoning has to do with why many in the Dutch tradition eat soup and buns for their hot Sunday meal: soup is prepared on Saturday, and the meal, while hearty and filling, is done with minimal preparation on the Lord's Day. I think that is why, for many from this tradition, the thought of restaurants on the Lord's Day is so repellant. When you, within your understanding of the Lord's Day, make an effort to reduce food preparation labour on the Sabbath, but are then confronted with the idea of having a team of people labour and serve you so that you can have one meal, it is an offensive idea.

Very good point.

What is the definition of a "Sabbatarian"? Do adherents of the WCF have a monopoly on the term? I've only recently been made aware of the term, but it would seem to me that it represents those who abide by the 4th Commandment.

Tripel

Actually, there are two clauses I take exception to:

1) resting from all words and thoughts about employment and recreations

2) spending the "whole time" in worship and mercy.

So, are you understanding that you may think about, talk about your job on the Lord's Day (or are you referring only to the "recreation" part of the clause)?

And, is that a derivation of your understanding that the whole day is not required to be separated to focus on God, exceptions for necessity and mercy being allowed?

Yes, I am saying that I may think about or talk about my job. I think it is completely unrealistic and legalistic (I mean that in a respectful way, honest I do) to insist that I can only think about and speak about God, his Word, and worship. If my wife asks if I want to take leftovers to work the next day, I'm not going to rebuke her. And if I express to her that work has been difficult lately, I expect that she sympathize with me rather than ignore me.

My family spends more time together on Sunday than any other day of the week, and I'm sure that's the case for most people. I love Sundays, because I feel like our fellowship is sweet. We take afternoon walks, sometimes take naps, and we catch up on all sorts of things. The day is very much set apart--we worship and we rest.

Exodus 20
8Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Yes, I am saying that I may think about or talk about my job.

I see why you would request a broad exception, because of this.

This goes to the heart of what the commandment is... cease from labor as we are preoccupied with labor the rest of the days He gives.

It seems the commandment really is talking about us resting (ceasing) from our ordinary employment and by derivation, not pre-occupying our minds and words with it (as we do the other six days)

Someone broached on this, but I think it is fairly central to the discussion -- when the sabbath law is summarized in the 10 commandments, just about every group known to human existence was listed as being required to rest -- even your servants or the stranger that is is within your gates (who potentially is not even a believer). I haven't counted the words, but this commandment gets more verbiage than most others, and I think that is significant -- it's almost like a lawyer wrote this, looking to close all the possible loopholes. We do know from other passages (and Christ's example) that works of necessity and mercy are OK.

So, what do we do with all this. As a general practice, I think eating out on the Lord's Day should be avoided. Some have already mentioned some good strategies. I'd add trying to change the timing of your trip.

However, traveling mercies (on a longer trip) could involve eating out -- at one time in this country, it was common for "necessary" businesses in a community to take turns being open to serve travelers. (I vaguely recall this with gas stations in the town where I lived as a small child.) Some times, you just can't avoid this -- more than a few times during fire season, I've been in travel status on Sunday. I'd have been in a world of hurt if I hadn't been able to find someplace to eat.

I know. I was just looking for clarity. If "Sabbatarian" is NOT a WCF term, than I can see how the "strict" qualifier is appropriate. Two people both abide by the 4th commandment, but one is more strict about it.

If Sabbatarian IS a WCF term, than I agree with you that you either follow the WCF or you don't.

Now, for practical points, I wish that Churches would be more mindful of the Sabbath, not only because of the 4th Commandment, but because of people who live alone, or who travel far to go to Church, etc. It would be a wise, loving, and beneficial practice for Churches to make the Lord's Day more conducive to Sabbath keeping. For example, having a meal at the Church between services. Always making sure there's extra food available (each family can/should chip in) in case of visitors. In my humble opinion, small things like this can lend a big hand to those who might be otherwise distracted/tempted to not keep the Sabbath holy.

Josh, I concur. But what of the church that does not have a dedicated building in which to have such a fellowship meal? There is a brother in our church who was just laid off from his job. He rents a room and is semi-estranged from his family. Money is tight for this brother. Is it a violation of the Sabbath to take him out for a meal after morning worship? Many sabbatarians would say it is a violation. Others would place that under an act of mercy. But your main point in that paragraph I quoted is sound. Churches should make the Lord's Day more conducive to Sabbath keeping.

David harvesting was not hiring some one to harvest for him, same with eating shew bread. This was a matter of life and death they were starving not missing one meal.
They did not take more than they needed to eat, they did not sell it to others, it was not commercial or business.

Now many in history when walking from town to town would stay at Inns and the innkeeper as part of lodging would provide a meal. This may have been more like a bed and breakfast and he feeding guests on the Lord's day in his own home, yet it still was for pay. Hard to say the pay was only for lodging and the meal free??

So is paying for a motel and making them provide services that day legal? And if a motel is why not a restaurant?

Just because a cruise line provides Sunday trips doesn't mean this is an activity a Christian should choose. But then is it just another Inn with free meals?

And if traveling and if we believe we are not to make someone else work for money, then why not fast if no one invites you over to eat? I always check ahead to find a reformed church in the area will be traveling and ask if someone could host me for meals so I can keep the sabbath, then I promptly go back to my paid hotel room where the maid has been paid to work and make my bed.
I will admit there have been times I have chosen not to fast and when no hospitality ws available I went to a Buffet since though I paid the owner for being open, the food was already made, I waited on myself and did not require anyone much work, maybe wash my dish and collect the money. Early on in my life before I was as clear on this I thought it would be good to take my wife to a buffet so she could rest from her work. But eventually she usually prepares a meal ahead or we have leftovers. I do dishes or we leave them and she wont let me cook usually but occasionally I do.

All I can say is I have made the effort to avoid as much unnecessary work as possible.

I know a pastor who says, if an unregenerate chooses to work on the Lord's day at a restaurant that is his choice, I am not making him work by going there. So he feels free to go?

I feel as many of the posters that even were that so, I am still buying a commercial service and promoting the owner to do business on the Lord's day. Shall I also encourage him to steal because I don't? I am my brothers keeper.

God is pretty clear on this, here is a man who forgot to gather his sticks for fire ahead of time. It is like the manna they were to gather ahead not even go collect the manna on the Sabbath for free themselves. Gather ahead, prepare so only a real necessity is necessary. If your ox falls in a ditch pull him out. If he keeps falling in a ditch on the Lord's day, fill the ditch or sell the ox!!
Reminds me of a pastor whose son asked if he could take a job working for a dairy where he would have to milk the cows out of necessity on the Lord's day. The father said well it is a necessity for the owner of the cow, do you believe this is your calling in life to be a dairyman. The boy found another job not requiring work on the Lord's day.
Num 15:29-36
29 You shall have one law for him who sins unintentionally, for him who is native-born among the children of Israel and for the stranger who dwells among them.
30 'But the person who does anything presumptuously, whether he is native-born or a stranger, that one brings reproach on the LORD, and he shall be cut off from among his people. 31 Because he has despised the word of the LORD, and has broken His commandment, that person shall be completely cut off; his guilt shall be upon him.'"
32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.

35 Then the LORD said to Moses,"The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp." 36 So, as the LORD commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died. NKJV

I would say God does not take this command lightly, He does not allow for a lot of liberty, He expects us to prepare and not make mistakes so we can say we have an emergency or necessity. a necessity should be out of our control.

Now what about paying for travel on the Lord's day so you can get back to church and worship, or paying to take the bus to get to church, paying for a hotel is it a necessity,
and participating in other men's sins. Like watching TV or pro football??

I love these though provoking discussions and to hear as all of you wrestle through these issues as I have done and continue to do.

By the way when I do find a family who takes me in overnight on the Lord's day and feeds me I usually leave them a cash gift when I leave, not a payment. What do you think? Did I rob them of any reward, or add double to them? I only had one bother to return it, though all say it wasn't necessary.

And do we give our tithe or an extra offering to the church we visit or does it go to our home church? I think pay where you feed? So I give an extra offering to them.

Love having my own business so no one can fire me for not working on the Lord's day. I think we all should if we can! 1 Cor 7:21 Were you called while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it. NKJV

But what of the church that does not have a dedicated building in which to have such a fellowship meal? There is a brother in our church who was just laid off from his job. He rents a room and is semi-estranged from his family. Money is tight for this brother. Is it a violation of the Sabbath to take him out for a meal after morning worship? Many sabbatarians would say it is a violation. Others would place that under an act of mercy.
I'd say, "Why not invite him to your home for sandwiches?" Or bring some PB, Jelly, and Bread to church and go to a park afterward (weather permitting) and have a lunch. There are other more preferable practices to be exhausted before resorting to restaurant visitation.

Josh, I'm not arguing with you, but can you see where brothers, who approach the Sabbath in good faith, can have differing convictions? If a brother is hard on cash and living by himself, it may seem rather unloving to offer him a PBJ sandwich. Yes, a member inviting them to their home for a meal is certainly a great option (actually, it's preferable).

I'm not writing this to defend going out to a restaurant, just as I'm not advocating going to a birthday party of a family member. I have my own opinion, and I'm keeping that to myself for the purpose of this discussion. What I'm trying to get into the discussion is that there are believers who genuinely disagree on what constitutes an act of mercy and necessity, while completely convinced they are honoring the Lord's Day. I am not referring to those who do not set the day aside, as is commanded in scripture.

We sometimes need to travel after worship--we have denominational business that occasionally begins on Mondays. We're a good six hours from the two common locations (usually Memphis and south of Asheville, NC), so we sometimes pack a cooler, and we usually try for rest areas/vending machines to supplement. Have we stopped and eaten out on Sunday on trips like this? Yes, but it's rarer as time goes on.

I observe the Lord's Day and occasionally eat out on Sunday.

Wayne, does this vex your conscience at all? Are you at peace with this within your view as a sabbatarian?

I would say I'm at peace and the only time I've ever wrestled with it is when my brothers and sisters in the Lord who did not believe it was permissible tried to convince me otherwise (this is way in the past when briefly attending a Reformed Baptist Church). However I came to the conclusion that if I observed the Lord's Day exactly the way they wanted me to I was violating my conscience.

Why has this not been so clear to us over the years?
God laid it out pretty clear.
After He killed the man who picked up sticks I doubt too many asked if it was OK to gather rocks for a fire so they could eat or to just finish up that last bit of sewing on a robe to sell their neighbor etc.

As for talking about your work, I think it means doing business not telling your wife yes you want a lunch packed. But I would not want to go into a long discussion about all my problems at work with her that day either. A simple i am having a rough time at work would suffice for the lord's day.
Its kind of like the Lord's supper.
Have you not homes to eat in? This isn't the place to have an abundance which can make some feel bad. Just bring an average amount and eat 1st at home if you are that hungry.

Duh??
No offense I am meaning this should be a Duh to us but we have to wrestle through it As Paul had to explain this to his people.

Isn't there room for some common sense here?

-----Added 3/31/2009 at 12:47:05 EST-----

Wayne, does this vex your conscience at all? Are you at peace with this within your view as a sabbatarian?

I would say I'm at peace and the only time I've ever wrestled with it is when my brothers and sisters in the Lord who did not believe it was permissible tried to convince me otherwise (this is way in the past when briefly attending a Reformed Baptist Church). However I came to the conclusion that if I observed the Lord's Day exactly the way they wanted me to I was violating my conscience.

So is your conscience still open to change or is it a done and settled matter for you?

After He killed the man who picked up sticks I doubt too many asked if it was OK to gather rocks for a fire so they could eat or to just finish up that last bit of sewing on a robe to sell their neighbor etc.

As for talking about your work, I think it means doing business not telling your wife yes you want a lunch packed. But I would not want to go into a long discussion about all my problems at work with her that day either. A simple i am having a rough time at work would suffice for the lord's day.
Have you not homes to eat in? This isn't the place to have an abundance which can make some feel bad. Just bring an average amount and eat 1st at home if you are that hungry.

Duh??
No offense I am meaning this should be a Duh to us but we have to wrestle through it As Paul had to explain this to his people.

So is your conscience still open to change or is it a done and settled matter for you?

I have always been open to instruction especially as it relates to learning Theology within the context of the Church however probably not going to be convinced of anything different based on an internet discussion.

-----Added 3/31/2009 at 01:11:30 EST-----

So for those who do not believe it is appropriate to eat out under any circumstances can I assume you always travel during the week and never on Sunday and/or pack your coolers if you were to travel on Sunday, never travel far enough that would cause you to get gasoline, and never stay in a Motel or any establishment that would cause others to work on your behalf?

Now, for practical points, I wish that Churches would be more mindful of the Sabbath, not only because of the 4th Commandment, but because of people who live alone, or who travel far to go to Church, etc. It would be a wise, loving, and beneficial practice for Churches to make the Lord's Day more conducive to Sabbath keeping. For example, having a meal at the Church between services. Always making sure there's extra food available (each family can/should chip in) in case of visitors. In my humble opinion, small things like this can lend a big hand to those who might be otherwise distracted/tempted to not keep the Sabbath holy.

Josh, I concur. But what of the church that does not have a dedicated building in which to have such a fellowship meal? There is a brother in our church who was just laid off from his job. He rents a room and is semi-estranged from his family. Money is tight for this brother. Is it a violation of the Sabbath to take him out for a meal after morning worship? Many sabbatarians would say it is a violation. Others would place that under an act of mercy. But your main point in that paragraph I quoted is sound. Churches should make the Lord's Day more conducive to Sabbath keeping.

My wife's family will invite people over in order to prevent them from eating out and rather eating a home-cooked meal, made from necessity and not for monetary gain.

I would think sometimes travel is necessary and provision for lodging necessary?

So by not eating out or at the Motel and packing a cooler while at the Motel you are minimizing more work being done on your behalf? Would this be a correct assumption?

A couple of people have mentioned the need to eat out while traveling or on vacation (as an exception). And I'm not sure that I'd agree....a vacation is not a necessity nor is it commanded in Scripture ,however, keeping the Lord's day Holy is! As one person already mentioned that includes choosing your activities wisely and what type of vacations you go on. Personally, when I travel I have always made it a point to plan ahead and prepare well in advance so that I am staying with someone on the Sabbath (even when I've traveled overseas). And I've made it a point to plan in such a way that I can prepare my own meals the night before or make arrangements for someone to have me over.

I don't believe setting the day apart begins on Sunday morning or even Saturday at that matter...I believe it is something that we ought to work towards and look forward to throughout the week! We ought to be planning and preparing well in advance to set that day apart in our hearts, minds, and practical lives. The puritans often talked about how meeting for worship as a congregation is a picture of heaven...a shadow of worshipping with saints in the heavenly realms...and so this is something we ought to strive towards throughout the week! I think how we set the day apart reflects how much we've prepared in advance and how seriously we have taken the Sabbath!

Duh??

I have always been open to instruction especially as it relates to learning Theology within the context of the Church however probably not going to be convinced of anything different based on an internet discussion.

So for those who do not believe it is appropriate to eat out under any circumstances can I assume you always travel during the week and never on Sunday and/or pack your coolers if you were to travel on Sunday, never travel far enough that would cause you to get gasoline, and never stay in a Motel or any establishment that would cause others to work on your behalf?

I'm not going to say "it's wrong to eat out under any circumstances" in the sense of I'm not going to rebuke my brother for doing it, because we've done it and that's hypocritical. Sometimes it just works out where folks who love the Lord eat in a restaurant on a Sunday. What I will say is that it's a good goal of sanctification to work toward "not doing it" so that other options can be explored and we can be blessed through those.

I would think sometimes travel is necessary and provision for lodging necessary?

So by not eating out or at the Motel and packing a cooler while at the Motel you are minimizing more work being done on your behalf? Would this be a correct assumption?

I was thinking more in line with post #36. Ideally, I think there should be some provision for necessary travels, eating but that would be set up so differently. Well, just thinking. :)

It seems we're getting pretty specific at times as to what constitutes breaking the commandment, so I ask (seriously) this question?

Do we not have to factor in time? Do we begin observance at sunset of Saturday, and end sunset on Sunday? Or is it when we get up that morning, etc...??

It seems we're getting pretty specific at times as to what constitutes breaking the commandment, so I ask (seriously) this question?

Do we not have to factor in time? Do we begin observance at sunset of Saturday, and end sunset on Sunday? Or is it when we get up that morning, etc...??
Pastor, I think this would be better suited as a separate thread, unless I'm missing its germaneness to the thrust of the thread (which is very much possible)?

May need to be...my thought was if we're going to get specific in terms of "eating out" or "buying gas" or "staying in a hotel", and that these are commandment breakers, then we may need to define exactly when the Sabbath begins and ends. :2cents:

Wayne, I don't want to be accused of stradling the fence or holding to a diminished view of the Sabbath. I take the observence of the Sabbath as a command, not an option. It's a command to enjoy our God, not endure Him. Sadly, because of deficient teaching in the church, enduring God seems to be the pinnacle of worship.

I consider myself in complete intellectual agreement with my confession, although I continue to find areas that need changes in my level of obedience. I am not prepared to have an exhaustive list of Sabbath requirements (nor do I accuse my brothers and sisters in this thread of advocating such). I am willing to extend liberty in the arena of mercy and necessity under the caveat that the heart attitude is not one of selishness.

I will teach to my church that the Lord's Day is holy, and it is to be set aside completely for the reasons stated in the confessions. I will teach that it is far better not to go to restaurants; not out of fear of violating the Sabbath, but because it could possibly distract the believer from enjoying their rest in Christ. But as no two believers are equal in their level of sanctification, I cannot forbid a saint from obeying their conscience. This is a far cry from my days of self indulgence on the Lord's Day. It is all part of my own sanctification.

God speed to you, good brother.

Wayne, I don't want to be accused of stradling the fence or holding to a diminished view of the Sabbath. I take the observence of the Sabbath as a command, not an option. It's a command to enjoy our God, not endure Him. Sadly, because of deficient teaching in the church, enduring God seems to be the pinnacle of worship.

I consider myself in complete intellectual agreement with my confession, although I continue to find areas that need changes in my level of obedience. I am not prepared to have an exhaustive list of Sabbath requirements (nor do I accuse my brothers and sisters in this thread of advocating such). I am willing to extend liberty in the arena of mercy and necessity under the caveat that the heart attitude is not one of selishness.

I will teach to my church that the Lord's Day is holy, and it is to be set aside completely for the reasons stated in the confessions. I will teach that it is far better not to go to restaurants; not out of fear of violating the Sabbath, but because it could possibly distract the believer from enjoying their rest in Christ. But as no two believers are equal in their level of sanctification, I cannot forbid a saint from obeying their conscience. This is a far cry from my days of self indulgence on the Lord's Day. It is all part of my own sanctification.

God speed to you, good brother.

:amen::ditto: To you as well Bill!

I voted "not ordinarily permitted, but okay when travelling" because that's what we do, not because I believe that I can back up that practice biblically. :eek:

Duh??

I'm not going to say "it's wrong to eat out under any circumstances" in the sense of I'm not going to rebuke my brother for doing it, because we've done it and that's hypocritical. Sometimes it just works out where folks who love the Lord eat in a restaurant on a Sunday. What I will say is that it's a good goal of sanctification to work toward "not doing it" so that other options can be explored and we can be blessed through those.

Thanks Toni! I appreciate that candid and well balanced approach.

-----Added 3/31/2009 at 02:43:57 EST-----

Who here has asserted this?

Let me clarify, for those who chose that it is not permissible and did not select except when traveling away from home?
Because "traveling away from home" does not necessitate "must eat out." Just as Yvonne mentioned above, all travel is not emergency, spur-of-the-moment travel. Thus, things can and should be planned. If traveling, ask:

1. Where will I be on the Lord's Day?
2. I should ask folks about Confessional Churches in this area.
3. Call the Pastor of one of those. Ask if there's a Lord's Day lunch, or if there's a place where you and your family might stay and eat a packed lunch. Ask if he can host you.
4. etc.

Thanks Josh! :think:

To piggy back off the "traveling necessitating eating out" perspective: perhaps those of us who are "home" most Lord's Days can be especially sensitive to this with out-of-town visitors. Make sure they always have a place to eat lunch, for instance. There have been plenty of occasions where we have unexpected visitors for worship (who were out-of-town) and we've invited them home for lunch with us. On one occasion we had three Gideons eat lunch with us while we were entertaining another family (who we knew were coming). It wasn't easy, but we made it work. One of the Gideons later told me that they go and speak at churches all the time, and almost never do they get invited to lunch.

My :2cents: -- Too many Christians have lost sight of the service of hospitality, and this is one of the factors that contributed to the rise of restaurants being open on the Lord's Day.

To piggy back off the "traveling necessitating eating out" perspective: perhaps those of us who are "home" most Lord's Days can be especially sensitive to this with out-of-town visitors. Make sure they always have a place to eat lunch, for instance. There have been plenty of occasions where we have unexpected visitors for worship (who were out-of-town) and we've invited them home for lunch with us. On one occasion we had three Gideons eat lunch with us while we were entertaining another family (who we knew were coming). It wasn't easy, but we made it work. One of the Gideons later told me that they go and speak at churches all the time, and almost never do they get invited to lunch.

My :2cents: -- Too many Christians have lost sight of the service of hospitality, and this is one of the factors that contributed to the rise of restaurants being open on the Lord's Day.

You are absolutely right. I would also add the same is true for the hotel/motel industry.

I grew up in PA and wouldn't have had a choice during these times.

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/NASSH_Proceedings/NP1973/NP1973g.pdf

-----Added 3/31/2009 at 03:18:53 EST-----

"Hospitality is not the same as routine friendliness to our own circle." RJ Rushdoony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back