Ecclesiastes commentaries or sermon series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Puritan Board Sophomore
What commentaries or sermon series would you recommend for a study on Ecclesiastes? I am not looking for something overly technical, but rather practical and experiential.

My wife and I studied Ecclesiastes 9:1-12 today. It was convicting. How often we forget that to live properly is to prepare to die well.

O, Lord, teach me to number my days.

As someone who has battled a lot with mental health over the years Ecclesiastes has made good sense to me. I came to appreciate the book in my Teens.

For practical and experiential, I would recommend the following resources: Ecclesiastes, by Phil Ryken; Ecclesiastes, by Douglas O'Donnell; Recovering Eden, by Zach Eswine; Living Life Backward, by David Gibson; and Ecclesiastes: Life in a Fallen World, by Benjamin Shaw. For older works, the ones suggested above fill the bill nicely.

I like Derek Kidner (not just the commentary but also The Wisdom of Proverbs, Job, and Ecclesiastes) and Herbert Leupold.

What commentaries or sermon series would you recommend for a study on Ecclesiastes? I am not looking for something overly technical, but rather practical and experiential.

This little 180 page commentary by a modern author might fit the bill. I read it cover-to-cover and enjoyed it.

Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries Volume 18
General Editor: Donald J. Wiseman
Ecclesiastes
An Introduction and Commentary
Michael A. Eaton

AUTHOR’S PREFACE
If it needs a man who has suffered to write a commentary on Job, and if only a restored rebel can comment on Jonah, perhaps the only person entitled to comment on Ecclesiastes is a cynic who has revolted from the world in disillusionment and disgust. If so, I qualify. It is an experience that many have been through, and from which some never emerge. So it is not surprising to find that a most diverse circle of admirers are drawn to Ecclesiastes with a sense of fellow-feeling for one whom they sense is a ‘gentle cynic’. Starting from widely separated perspectives, men have seen life, in W. E. Henley’s words, as
… a smoke that curls—
Curls in a flickering skein
That winds, and whisks and whirls,
A figment thin and vain,
Into the great Inane.
One end for hut and hall!
One end for cell and stall!
Burned in one common flame
Are wisdoms and insanities.
For this alone we came:
O vanity of vanities.
(Of the Nothingness of Things)​

I bear witness that the Preacher’s advice, blunt and realistic as it is, is the only remedy to that particular malaise. A ‘handful of quietness’ (Eccl. 4:6) from him who rules the ‘times and seasons’, Qoheleth’s God and mine, is the only cure. I cast this particular piece of bread upon the waters with the prayer that others may make the same discovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back