Ecclesiastes suggested readings

Discussion in 'Commentaries' started by ccravens, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccravens

ccravens Puritan Board Freshman

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on any modern commentaries on this book of the bible. Emphasis on devotional and application. I've been reading and enjoying a lot of Tim Keller lately, if that helps any.

Thanks in advance!

2. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritan Board Sophomore

I believe this is exactly what you are looking for. It was a great little read.

Living Life Backward: How Ecclesiastes Teaches Us to Live in Light of the End https://www.amazon.com/dp/1433556278/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Le5NCb0VTJ4AF

3. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritan Board Sophomore

4. greenbaggins

greenbaggins Administrator Staff Member

Gibson is good, but Ryken is better. Also consider O'Donnell in the Reformed Expository Commentary series. Just taught through Ecclesiastes, and found these to be very helpful. I also got a lot of help from Eaton (Tyndale series) and Provan (NIVAC series).

5. ccravens

We must have similar tastes, or how to gauge a good, appropriate-for-the-purpose book, because I ordered Gibson's book a few days ago, and was eyeballing Ryken on Amazon this morning!

• Rejoicing Rejoicing x 1
    • List
  6. ccravens

Thanks to you both. Gibson should be here today or Monday, and I just ordered Ryken.

I guess I should have expanded my desire to say that I'm looking for a commentary devotional and practical, and also culturally relevant to today and apologetic.

7. hammondjones

hammondjones Puritan Board Sophomore

Is it just me, or isn't there something mildly ironic in asking for many books on Ecclesiastes?

8. ZackF

ZackF Puritan Board Graduate

There is a time to ask and a time to refrain from asking for commentaries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. JTB.SDG

JTB.SDG Puritan Board Sophomore

Haha

I do love the laughs. There is a time for serious reflection and a time to laugh.
    And in particular, it seems, a time to make cheesy Bible jokes :banana:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  10. ccravens

After reading both, I'd have to agree. Gibson gives some good, unique insights and I'm glad I purchased it. Ryken is just solid overall and very helpful.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.